The United States Pilot Association

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
At Gastons, I had the pleasure of meeting with a representative from the USPA (http://www.uspilots.org). She seemed quite level headed, and dealt with my stupidly worded and stumbling questions about whether or not they had the same blinders on when it comes to User Fees that AOPA does.

The rep handled herself well, and gave me some information. I looked at the website and I like it. It is lacking some of the content of AOPA, but in my honest opinion, it more than makes up for it by having the desire to actually help, vs. wanting to make money (unlike AOPA, USPA is a 501(c)3 organization). The yearly dues are only $35, and you can donate more if you'd like to.

While I'm not gonna push anyone else to join, I would like to say that you should give them an honest look. When AOPA loses the user fee battle, USPA will still be fighting the small, important issues they've been fighting all along. AOPA will just be trying to recover from a 2 year long focus on a losing position.

I hope that you are proven wrong Nick.

I hope that you are proven wrong Nick.

I misstated my point out of my distaste for AOPA, unfortunately. Whether or not you agree with my stance on User Fees and AOPA, you should at least look at USPA. They're an awesome organization.

edit: also - they are not a mutually exclusive group - they state on their site that they are supportive of AOPA and vice versa, the way it should be for a pilot organization.

Last edited:
no i just hope that your prophecy of AOPA losing on user fees turns out to be wrong. I understand your opinion about AOPA

I believe that every one who reads these boards must admit the AOPA is the grandaddy of all the aviation webpages. Even Avweb ( http://www.avweb.com/ ) doesn't give the members the information material that AOPA does, nor does EAA.com. or landings.com

This web page has a lot of nice folks ranting or raving about things that other aviation webpages will not allow but that is its big claim to fame, so if we were to rate this webpage on its usefulness it would end up way back in the pack.

But I still like coming here and reading :)

Well I'm an avid AOPA supporter, and think they do for us what the NRA does for their constituency, but I still prefer these boards to AOPA's.

I don't think we'll see user fees this cycle. And I don't think AOPA is ignoring other issues to work the user fee issue.

Well I'm an avid AOPA supporter, and think they do for us what the NRA does for their constituency, but I still prefer these boards to AOPA's.

I don't think we'll see user fees this cycle. And I don't think AOPA is ignoring other issues to work the user fee issue.

Not trying to be argumentative, but when was the last time AOPA's front page had any information about anything except User Fees or how great they are? Moreover, when was the last time AOPA fought for anything except User Fees?

There's never been a major mention of the atrocity that is Mass Port. There's never been any condemnation of the border TFRs, nor any condemnation of the shutdown of the DC ADIZ for Ford's funeral. Never any condemnation of the NYC ADIZ that came about for 4 days for the world conference.

Instead, you'll see "Airspace is shut down, stay out" notices from AOPA, and no action being taken.

And for forums? PoA wins it hands down. For Advocacy? Probably EAA.

let's see. Looking at AOPA front page now, I see work on fuels and UAVs, proposed rudder stops on 150/152's, extended length medicals, as well as user fees.

I see them working hard to educate the "forces of darkness" here in the DC area (I fly in and out of the ADIZ/FRZ frequently), and other stuff as well.

Not trying to be argumentative, but when was the last time AOPA's front page had any information about anything except User Fees or how great they are? Moreover, when was the last time AOPA fought for anything except User Fees?

There's never been a major mention of the atrocity that is Mass Port. There's never been any condemnation of the border TFRs, nor any condemnation of the shutdown of the DC ADIZ for Ford's funeral. Never any condemnation of the NYC ADIZ that came about for 4 days for the world conference.

Instead, you'll see "Airspace is shut down, stay out" notices from AOPA, and no action being taken.

And for forums? PoA wins it hands down. For Advocacy? Probably EAA.

Nick, this forum beats AOPA's, no question.

But I will tell you, when the Texas Legislature had that bill which was tailor-made to ream ADS users, AOPA was there, with legislative research and materials, timely analysis and surgical destruction of the Town's specious arguments, and on-site testimony and lobbying by Regional Rep. Shelly deZavallos.

And their work in the aeromedical arena- critical, and effective.

AOPA may not be everything to everyone, but they remain a committed and valuable resource for us.

Not trying to be argumentative, but when was the last time AOPA's front page had any information about anything except User Fees or how great they are? Moreover, when was the last time AOPA fought for anything except User Fees? For Advocacy? Probably EAA.

You don't read the front page of AOPA's web site very often do you? Today, out of 14 articles on the front page of AOPA's web site, 2 out of 14 were in regards to user fees. Finding other things GA within AOPA's realm of advocacy is easy if you'd look. And when you say, "Probably EAA", it means you simply don't know. Have you even been to an EAA meeting? EAA chapter 1 is right up the road. Come on out, 3rd Sat of every month, and we'll go on up to Flabob airport.

AOPA, generally speaking, is far and away the best and most efficient overall advocacy group for all facets of GA, and always has been so. Not that it couldn't be improved.

I wish we had an organization that could achieve 1% of the things AOPA is doing for GA in the U.S.

I've been an AOPA member for the past 7 years - this, despite the fact that I live abroad and do not benefit directly from their advocacy.

I am more than happy to pay the annual membership, I love the magazines (Pilot & Flight Training ) which justify the membership by themselves.

Who knows, I might win the Cardinal this year - the odds are not that bad :)

I have to share Nick's discontent with AOPA. I think a big part is the
constant stream of "the sky is falling .. the sky is falling .. send money and we'll fix it". However I think they learned that from NRA .. which I'm
also a member of.

Every time something good happens AOPA and EAA both claim credit.

USPA will still be fighting the small, important issues they've been fighting all along.
From the USPA website (thanks for the link, I bookmarked it. Thank God they don't have another forum to suck away my time. :rolleyes: )
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]AOPA is most effective at the national level, whereas USPA's members are most effective at the state level and with local governments. USPA’s course is set at the grass roots level by its member input.[/FONT]
I'd like to see examples of things USPA has accomplished at the state level. Not saying there aren't any, I'd just like a resume. I didn't find one.

I looked at the website and I like it. It is lacking some of the content of AOPA, but in my honest opinion, it more than makes up for it by having the desire to actually help, vs. wanting to make money (unlike AOPA, USPA is a 501(c)3 organization).

I wouldn't criticize AOPA for not being a 501(c)3. The reason they are not is because they are politically active. If you engage in lobbying and political action, you cannot qualify for tax-favored contributions of the 501(c)3 designation.

I wouldn't criticize AOPA for not being a 501(c)3. The reason they are not is because they are politically active. If you engage in lobbying and political action, you cannot qualify for tax-favored contributions of the 501(c)3 designation.

Quite right; that's why the Air Safety Foundation (which is tax-exempt charitable organization) exists.

Well said, and before we criticize AOPA for its lobbying, let us realistically look at how political change occurs in this country and recognize that "we the people" are competing with "them the industries" and individually our funds catch little attention. I think AOPA is doing a wonderful job given the cirumstances. Perhaps some empathy and careful objective analysis might sway your brusk opinion.

B)John

Quite right; that's why the Air Safety Foundation (which is tax-exempt charitable organization) exists.

The AOPA PAC exists for lobbying...as an entity that can make political contributions.

I think AOPA's is focused on User Fees but it isn't the only thing they're fighting for. As to international, there is an IAOPA (IAOPA.org). The website is more towards forming an AOPA in your area.
Perhaps you could be the next Phil Boyer.

The USPA's website looks like a theme straight out of Front page 98.

They are a long ways from being anything near what AOPA is.

Who knows, I might win the Cardinal this year - the odds are not that bad :)

That's really cool that you join even though you live in Israel, Alon. I hate to burst your bubble about the Cardinal, though. From the Official Rules:

CAN I PARTICIPATE? Open to all individuals who legally reside in the 50 United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the District of Columbia and Canada (except the Province of Quebec) age 21 years or older as of the date of entry.

Back