Rockwell Commander

Parts can be a struggle. The production rights and tooling has changed hands quite a bit. Flew one a couple times and I liked it.

I've never flown one and would like the opportunity. There's one at my field that sits due to chronic gear issues.

I hear they are not barn-burners on performance.

I was put off by the wing hour limits. Although they're several thousand hours, I didn't like the idea. My IA said the engine parts can be expensive, but that's not something I know for certain.

Roomy but slow for the power (compared to a Mooney), very nice lines, and they are 'supported' by an owner's group.

Good looking plane, used to be built in OKC.

Last edited:
ya, youre talking about a 60+ year lifespan for a guy flying quite a bit. 150 hrs a year yields over 60 years. Would outlive most pilots

ya, youre talking about a 60+ year lifespan for a guy flying quite a bit. 150 hrs a year yields over 60 years. Would outlive most pilots

I agree. The 114 #'s are pretty high, but I think I was in the market for a 112 when I did my research.

The one in the ad is a later 114, which has very reasonable limits.

The 114- series uses IO- or TIO- 540 lycoming engines. No issue getting parts.

They are a bit slower than some other planes, but more comfortable.

I loved my 112TC.

I find it interesting that a life limit would be established for a wing in flight, but not for an airplane on the ground (and subject to gravity).

I've heard they are excellent and comfortable airplanes... but pretty slow for their power. You're trading off comfort for speed. It's the opposite of a Mooney.

If you've never flown one it will be tough to justify anything. If you have flown one you'll agree that they are really nice and comfy. They're great flyers too. There are some mods to speed them up a little but as noted, they are slow for the power. On the other hand it is wonderful to carry four who aren't rubbing elbows and shoulders just to fit in the thing. I spent some time in a 114 and a couple rides in a 112TC. I wouldn't consider a 112 at all, even the TC but the 114's are nice.

Frank

Are they 2-doors, like the Beech Sundowner, Sierra?

Looked at Commanders early in my shopping (before I discovered Grummans).
Judi Anderson at SunCoast Aviation sunco@cfl.rr.com should be your next immediate contact if Commanders are on your radar - she brokers sales, seems to know the entire fleet, and is a wealth of knowledge.

They are nice roomy comfortable stylish planes!

Nice and comfortable but slow unless you can find a 115TC model. I'd rather have a Bonanza or 210 or Socata TB21 for same or less money. Parts can be a challenge.

Nice and comfortable but slow unless you can find a 115TC model. I'd rather have a Bonanza or 210 or Socata TB21 for same or less money. Parts can be a challenge.

Seems when I was shopping there were a number of turbo normalized 114s about.

Very roomy and comfortable; a good thing because it takes a long time to go anywhere. Flown both and when I bought last the Mooney was the only one in contention. Faster is better...

Drop by the Commander Owners Group (commander.org).

Some of the 114/115 examples were built with TKS Known Ice certification. I'll take that over a few knots in the northeast, Midwest, and Rockies.

Regardless of the specs, they're good-looking planes! Kinda like me. Good looking, but really not much else going.

If it's not turbocharged, run the numbers for takeoff distance at high DA with a load.

We looked at a 112 for a club and takeoff on a warm day at the Grand Canyon was.... Not possible!

The Commander part issue is not real. The Commander's Owner's Group has sources for all the parts and anyone that actually owns a Commander will confirm this. The engine parts are easily obtained as all the Commanders use Lycoming engines.

Speed vs. comfort is a personal decision. I plan and fly at 150 kts at 13 gph, while enjoying a very stable, comfortable ride with two doors so you don't have to jump in over someone. The 114 models vary a bit, but I have 1100# of usable, so filling the seats is doable with a decent amount of fuel.

The suggestion to talk to Judi at Suncoast is exellent - Judi knows the fleet and can point a new buyer in the right direction. You can also have the 114's upgraded to a Lycoming 580 should you have the need for speed for a "small" up charge ;-)

Jim

Buy the plane that fits the missions you fly the most.

Do you like Ford, Chevrolet, Chrysler or some other brand? A person buys what they like and when a Ford guy asks a Chevrolet guy his opinion on a Ford purchase it is likely to be less than positive.

With the exception of skins and some control surfaces, the parts and orphaned issue is just not that big of a deal. Getting parts has never been an issue for me. A lot of normal use parts were originally sourced from other manufacturers and there is a company that caters exclusively to Commanders.

I have a 112B that has four seats but 98% of the time only has two filled. Do I need a 114? No, this plane fits my needs and I love the comfort.

I hear these planes are so slow from people who have never flown in one and it is always comical when I find out some have never seen one but sure talk like an experienced owner. By the way, I see speeds of 125 to 135 on average. To some this may seem slow but I enjoy flying and if the Bo's and Mooney guys want to arrive 15 to 30 minutes sooner than me that's ok.

I do have a wing life that will one day ground my plane but I will be long gone from this earth before that happens so it is a non issue for me. I would bet it is a non issue for every Commander owner.

Short bigger guys will love the comfort of the Commander. Tall skinny pilots fit best in Mooneys. All good planes depends on mission and speed vs comfort.

Short bigger guys will love the comfort of the Commander. Tall skinny pilots fit best in Mooneys. All good planes depends on mission and speed vs comfort.

What about tall, bigger guys? :wink2:

SLOWwwwwwww.

that's what I've always heard is the waterloo of the Commander.

Other than that, I've liked every one I've ever sat in.

I have a 112B that has four seats but 98% of the time only has two filled. Do I need a 114? No, this plane fits my needs and I love the comfort.

Hmmm, and Hamilton TX is not that far from Denton...

I can't imagine that a 9-10K hr life limit is going to be of much concern for the 114/115 guys. Hell, most of the Commanders seem to have less than 2K hours on them, and that's including the 114's from the 70's. The 114/115 guys seem to get 150-160KTAS, so it's not terrible by any means. It beats 182's and runs about even with the PA-24's, while having similar useful loads between 1-1.2K. If ultimate speed is your thing, I don't think it'd be the aircraft for you, but for overall comfort and ramp presence it's got to be hard to beat. I can't think of anything truthful I've heard from non-owners about parts availability, it's always hearsay and tales of parts being unobtainium. The few owners I've had the opportunity to talk with seem to have no qualms whatsoever about the parts.

As was mentioned, the Commander group members are fiercely loyal, and that comes from being happy with the aircraft. It also contributes to how high the prices are for the Commander market, compared to other 4-5 seat aircraft in the same category. Many seem to have updated panels and nice interiors, with most appearing to be in covered storage most of their lives. When you go searching for PA-24's, etc they are usually much more spartan on panel/interior and the paint on many examples leaves much to be desired.

If I had $75K to drop on a SE XC machine that could actually haul 4 adults, I'd have the Commander on my short list for sure. $.02 from a non-aircraft owner.

Hmmm, and Hamilton TX is not that far from Denton...

What's with that statement? There are quite a few Commanders in TX. I believe KTKI has two on the field. I'm not sure where you are in north TX but there are four or five in the DFW area.

I met a guy several years ago who commuted from St. Louis to NY twice a week with his wife and two children in a 114. He said time wasn't a factor for him but comfort was.

What's with that statement? There are quite a few Commanders in TX. I believe KTKI has two on the field. I'm not sure where you are in north TX but there are four or five in the DFW area.

Just noting that Denton to Hamilton would be a nice short flight for me in the 182 to eyeball your Commander some day. :wink2:

Back