How Does POA Make Money?

Perhaps the MC can bring SZ back and load it with hundreds of add..... :stirpot: :rolleyes:
lol That's a great idea! If you want to wade into that pool, you have to endure the sharks -- I like it.

Of course, who would advertise there? *shudder*
;)

lol That's a great idea! If you want to wade into that pool, you have to endure the sharks -- I like it.

;)

Offhand I can think of maybe
ISIS.com
or
Mental Therapy.com

:rofl::lol::D

;)

Trump and Sanders would trade political ads.

For years I hosted an aviation video page with 500+ aviation videos, some over an hour long. Bandwidth was significant, much more than VAF or POA.

GoDaddy never squawked. :)

Are you sure you're not confusing storage capacity with bandwidth?

For years I hosted an aviation video page with 500+ aviation videos, some over an hour long. Bandwidth was significant, much more than VAF or POA.

GoDaddy never squawked. :)

Why would they. But that still proves nothing. Ten guys streaming videos (if it ever even came to that) is still a far cry from supporting close to a thousand simultaneous vBulletin users.

Perhaps the MC can bring SZ back and load it with hundreds of add..... :stirpot: :rolleyes:

:nono: Sigh I hope to return the favor some day Bill :wink2:

POA is all volunteer all the time. Spikes synopsis is correct. The way we make so much money is that when you log into POA the program accesses your contact lists and sends spoof emails to your friends and family telling them that you are on vacation in Spain and that your wallet and passport were lost or stolen and they need them to send you $1500 so they can get home which you will then repay within a week of arriving home.:rofl::rofl:

Seriously POA knows it can make money but we choose not to have ads. Many don't mind them but many don't want them. Plus can you imagine the headache of some vendor placing banner ad for PutPut Aviation Engine Shop and Then some POAer flaming them?

As a result, Pilots of America, a Pennsylvania Not for Profit Corporation, was formed (thank you, Adam Zucker, for doing the work), and the board is owned by the non-profit. There is no paid staff.

Typical trial lawyer pork.

We will need to have a fundraiser one of these days, because it is about time to make some changes in how the technical structure works, but I am confident that, when the need arises, there will be no difficulty raising the needed funds.:

This is taxation without representation. I nominate EdFred to represent those of us amongst the great unwashed.

Seriously POA knows it can make money but we choose not to have ads.

You can always charge the members who sign up just to post shameless ads for their vendor webpage. :)
Otherwise, this place is bound to turn into another CraigsList with free ads by members.

agree to disagree. if I need something I'll go looking for it. if I can't find it, shame on me.

if everyone gave $0.50 it would be enough to run PoA for a year or more. hosting the site is very inexpensive.....dealing with some of the whiny-ass b!tches is where the headache is.

Instead of killing the spin zone should have just charged admission (on a sliding scale based on how much a pain in the ass individuals were..) Might not be reliable income but hey.. kill two birds with one stone..

Instead of killing the spin zone should have just charged admission (on a sliding scale based on how much a pain in the ass individuals were..) Might not be reliable income but hey.. kill two birds with one stone..

Ha that would have worked too!

I know this has been suggested before, but why doesn't PoA sell logo'd apparel, mugs, bags and the like? I personally hate ads and think the No Ad policy is great (though see my suggestion above to only place ads for non-logins), but see no problem at all with selling PoA themed items. The new logo would be just right for that, too. Even Wikipedia is doing that now.

I know this has been suggested before, but why doesn't PoA sell logo'd apparel, mugs, bags and the like? I personally hate ads and think the No Ad policy is great (though see my suggestion above to only place ads for non-logins), but see no problem at all with selling PoA themed items. The new logo would be just right for that, too. Even Wikipedia is doing that now.

We actually did... I might even find the URL, might still work, but the old logo is on it.

But you're right, we need to reboot that.

We actually did... I might even find the URL, might still work, but the old logo is on it.

I would make that URL relatively easy to find on every page (not super loud, but accessible). And the new logo should definitely make a difference. Also, not sure which company you paired with, but I suspect the right partner could have a big impact too.

c'mon, man! I wanna see some cool PoA shiznit!

Maybe I need to hand back my medical, but I can't see any PoA logos on that stuff, old or new...

No eyesight issues!

The CC merchandise site ain't exactly cutting-edge, and does not show the logo on the "stuff," so you have to just trust that it will be there.

I've ordered stuff (as have others) and it arrives with the logo nicely embroidered, but there is "faith" involved.

In any event, we'll be doing something new soon... :mad2:

hhmmm. so, is this up to date and functional? like, for buying stuff and whatnot?

I assume it works; when I find the login info, I can see when the last sale was. Bet it has been two years or more. Come to think of it, there might be a few bucks accrued to PoA we might sweep to help buy new software...

No eyesight issues!

The CC merchandise site ain't exactly cutting-edge, and does not show the logo on the "stuff," so you have to just trust that it will be there.

I've ordered stuff (as have others) and it arrives with the logo nicely embroidered, but there is "faith" involved.

In any event, we'll be doing something new soon... :mad2:

Great, good news! (esp. about my eyesight :)). And hopefully the new and improved version will have the new logos nicely showing on the photos, since AFAIK "faith doesn't sell" :)

Oh Great... I can see the mods ganging up on poor Ben...

First PM will be from Spike telling me my dues are 200 dollars a month.... Then Mari PM's me with her take on the fees.... " Oh Ben, we meant 200 dollars a DAY"....:eek:... :D

Here's one that shows stuff with logo in place.

http://subbiesamstore.qbstores.com

I assume you all want stylish merchandise with the logo of the Subcontractors Association of the Metroplex emblazoned there on, right? :). Www.sam-DFW.org

Well, joke all you want, but I think if you had nice big PoA logos showing on decent merchandise in a spiffy page, they'd sell like hotcakes. You'd have to decide what to do with all that excess cash, since it can corrupt...

You can always charge the members who sign up just to post shameless ads for their vendor webpage. :)
Otherwise, this place is bound to turn into another CraigsList with free ads by members.

POA doesn't have near the exposure as cragislist so It won't go in that direction

Now there is an idea. Keep a CC on file thats billed for every post LOL:lol:

hhmmm. so, is this up to date and functional? like, for buying stuff and whatnot?

It's been a few years, but it's where this shirt came from...

bd6f333673817471f420d7f8038c7f26.jpg

... which you should remember from the monkey thread. :)

Well, joke all you want, but I think if you had nice big PoA logos showing on decent merchandise in a spiffy page, they'd sell like hotcakes. You'd have to decide what to do with all that excess cash, since it can corrupt...

Agree, wholeheartedly! :yes:

Here's the existing one. I had to hunt a while to find it!

http://www.corporatecasuals.com/s/pilotsofamerica/
Back when there was a collection taken up for the chat software, there was a link from the top of the page, if I remember correctly. Could you do the same thing with the logo merchandise?
BTW, I just bought some. Good quality stuff since my old stuff is still quite serviceable after several years of use.

Back