Trip to Disney World

182driver

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
182driver
If the weather cooperates, I'm taking my wife and two kids to Disney World in the Skylane for a week this February. We've booked a hotel on the park grounds. Any advice on what airport to use, ground transportation to and from Disney World, or the routing I might expect when coming from the north?

Not sure about route or trans, but I would definitely land KISM.

I've done KISM, but I much preferred KGIF. Much more GA and generally friendly field. Onsite car rental, as well. No silly ramp fees and gas is reasonable. Time-wise to the Disney area is similar to KISM.

KISM Jet Center is excellent.

Cheap gas, no ramp or tie down fees if you buy gas.

About a $20 taxi ride to Disney. They can do rentals if you need one as well.

-Dan

If the weather cooperates, I'm taking my wife and two kids to Disney World in the Skylane for a week this February. We've booked a hotel on the park grounds. Any advice on what airport to use, ground transportation to and from Disney World, or the routing I might expect when coming from the north?

IFR? Expect a direct routing at least until Georgia. Are you flying direct or making a stop along the way?

IFR? Expect a direct routing at least until Georgia. Are you flying direct or making a stop along the way?
I'm leaving KROA and will probably stop around KAMG. The plane has the range to make it non-stop but not by a big margin.

Im there now. We always land at KISM and park base of tower at signature. Going to GIF is way out of the way. Signature here is great. They gave me a brand new Avalon for 35 bucks a day. Landed at 720 this evening and by 745 we were in the rental and kids and snacks. 20 minutes later we were At our hotel on site.

We come to KISM alot but KORL is good too. KMCO is too damn expensive. I went there once to say i did it but not worth it. Any questions let me know. Were regulars here.

I've done KISM, but I much preferred KGIF. Much more GA and generally friendly field. Onsite car rental, as well. No silly ramp fees and gas is reasonable. Time-wise to the Disney area is similar to KISM.

I got nothing on which airport, (though I've chair flown the trip to and from KISM many times), but my wife is a travel agent at an agency that focuses almost exclusively on Disney trips. It has come up many times, and no matter how you slice it, if you're staying on property, you always come out better taking a cab/Magical Express/etc. over renting a car.

If you go ifr from AMG u better plan on crossing OCF vor cause if they are busy thats the way theyre gonna send you. But you will also fly right over epcot and you can get some good pics.

I got nothing on which airport, (though I've chair flown the trip to and from KISM many times), but my wife is a travel agent at an agency that focuses almost exclusively on Disney trips. It has come up many times, and no matter how you slice it, if you're staying on property, you always come out better taking a cab/Magical Express/etc. over renting a car.

I personally disagree. The bus rides and cabs suck IMO. You are waiting in lines waiting to leave. We tried that once. No thanks.

Just tell KISM you get the "crew" rate and its 35 a day. Theyre great over there.

I live over in DAB and frequently visit Disney, usually just drive but on occasion I've flown over there, I've always used KISM while flying with intention on going to Disney. Anywhere else in Orlando I'd use ORL

Ranger jet center at KISM has treated me well.

And get a rental, even when staying on property. I just hate to live by someone elses schedule.

Jet Center at KISM is an old, old facility that will not impress your wife and kids, unless they are paying the tab! Fuel is MUCH cheaper, I think Jet-A was $1.75 less and avgas is $1.25 less per gallon. Personally, I like cheap gas and I don't need a fancy bathroom. :D We took a cab when I was there in October.

... if you're staying on property, you always come out better taking a cab/Magical Express/etc. over renting a car.
Does the Magic Express go to KISM? I thought that it only went to KMCO and I'm not crazy enough to take a 182 into KMCO.

If you go ifr from AMG u better plan on crossing OCF vor cause if they are busy thats the way theyre gonna send you. But you will also fly right over epcot and you can get some good pics.
Sounds like good advice! I'll plan on IFR and maybe go VFR if the weather is great when the day comes.
I used to go down to KVNC fairly often using a western route over AMG or the eastern route St Augustine, then make sure to miss all the SUAs. If you are coming from the East, do they route you down that VFR cooridor that goes just east of Disney World?

Does the Magic Express go to KISM? I thought that it only went to KMCO and I'm not crazy enough to take a 182 into KMCO.

Overrated. My wife and I took the Magic Express when we went to Disney World. It was neither magical or express. I think you'd be better off with a cab.

Jet Center at KISM is an old, old facility that will not impress your wife and kids, unless they are paying the tab! Fuel is MUCH cheaper, I think Jet-A was $1.75 less and avgas is $1.25 less per gallon. Personally, I like cheap gas and I don't need a fancy bathroom. :D We took a cab when I was there in October.

'Jet Center' is the 'quonset on the far side of the airport' FBO. They do have the couch, lacking the one-eyed dog.

Signature is where you go to impress someone.

Ranger is sort of in the middle. Nice looking modern facility, clean bathrooms but no marble floors.

Kism jet center,friendly people,can get you a rental.Gas is usually very reasonable.

Surprised at all of the positive comments for KISM. I was there a year ago and wrote about my story on an older thread. Ranger was terrible. Long story short, they didn't want to waste their time with a single engine prop plane. Made me park way far out when the place was empty. Rolled out the red carpet for a Citation and we had to drag our luggage across the ramp (from the other side of the big hangar next to them). They wouldn't even let our ride drive out to the plane.

Here are current fuel prices:
KGIF: $3.80/gallon
KISM: $4.50/gallon

But, by seeing all of the positive comments, perhaps I just caught KISM in a bad patch. I suppose I'll try them again.

Never been to Disney World, but I had a contract in Orlando that brought me to the area a lot. I used Kissimmee Jet Center at ISM when I was doing things at the Conference Center and it had the best prices. I used as taxi to downtown. For meetings with the Navy, I used Orlando Executive because it was closer to them. Atlantic was good, used to be Showalter.

If you fly into ISM then you really should go over to Warbird Adventures and fly one of their planes. It's a E Ticket for pilots. When I did it my demo pilot was a CFI so I got to log the time as dual.

Surprised at all of the positive comments for KISM. I was there a year ago and wrote about my story on an older thread. Ranger was terrible. Long story short, they didn't want to waste their time with a single engine prop plane. Made me park way far out when the place was empty. Rolled out the red carpet for a Citation and we had to drag our luggage across the ramp (from the other side of the big hangar next to them). They wouldn't even let our ride drive out to the plane.

Here are current fuel prices:
KGIF: $3.80/gallon
KISM: $4.50/gallon

But, by seeing all of the positive comments, perhaps I just caught KISM in a bad patch. I suppose I'll try them again.

Just don't go to ranger. I've never been.. I was told to avoid them on this board (I believe) and always went to Signature.. no problems at all.

Sounds like good advice! I'll plan on IFR and maybe go VFR if the weather is great when the day comes.
I used to go down to KVNC fairly often using a western route over AMG or the eastern route St Augustine, then make sure to miss all the SUAs. If you are coming from the East, do they route you down that VFR cooridor that goes just east of Disney World?

If you go VFR - there's no telling what they'll do with you, assuming you are on flight following (and down there you really should be). They'll move you all over the place.

One last piece of advice. If you can get out of there VFR - all the better. I left tonight and I filed my flight plan (IFR) from a fix en-route that was outside the bravo. Taking off on 33 is best - get off the ground, stay below the shelf. Go north right over the big-a$$ ferris wheel (you can't miss it even at 10,000 feet!) and that will keep you in the corridor (I typically do 3500) then once you get out of the bravo I go direct to my fix and call up approach and pick up my ifr clearance

Honestly it's pretty easy to get in and out. I was nervous my first time going in there because of all the traffic (and it's really busy, even at night) but once you do it - it's a non issue. The controllers are busy but they respond (unlike Chicago) and they want to get you on FF as it's way easier for them to move you around opposed to the big boys.

Admittedly when I left tonight I did not go FF because I wanted to get home. So I tuned in 119.400 and had my head on a swivel - as my two kids and wife drifted off to sleep (damn them!)

Most of all - have a great time with your family! As soon as you take the main drag out of the FBO at the light there is a Boston Market - decent place to feed the kids without a big wait. We met friends last night at Olive Garden and it was an hour wait after we got there.....

If you go VFR - there's no telling what they'll do with you, assuming you are on flight following (and down there you really should be). They'll move you all over the place.

One last piece of advice. If you can get out of there VFR - all the better. I left tonight and I filed my flight plan (IFR) from a fix en-route that was outside the bravo. Taking off on 33 is best - get off the ground, stay below the shelf. Go north right over the big-a$$ ferris wheel (you can't miss it even at 10,000 feet!) and that will keep you in the corridor (I typically do 3500) then once you get out of the bravo I go direct to my fix and call up approach and pick up my ifr clearance

Honestly it's pretty easy to get in and out. I was nervous my first time going in there because of all the traffic (and it's really busy, even at night) but once you do it - it's a non issue. The controllers are busy but they respond (unlike Chicago) and they want to get you on FF as it's way easier for them to move you around opposed to the big boys.

Admittedly when I left tonight I did not go FF because I wanted to get home. So I tuned in 119.400 and had my head on a swivel - as my two kids and wife drifted off to sleep (damn them!)

Most of all - have a great time with your family! As soon as you take the main drag out of the FBO at the light there is a Boston Market - decent place to feed the kids without a big wait. We met friends last night at Olive Garden and it was an hour wait after we got there.....

When say "Farris Wheel" are you talking about the Caribe Royale Orlando hotel that is South of Lake Bryan?

I'm guessing he's referring to the Orlando Eye. I think it's 400 ft tall.

Correct, Orlando Eye
https://www.officialorlandoeye.com/

You can see that thing at night way high up :)

I stay just left of it and I know i'm in the corridor (not that I wouldn't know anyways, but a good VFR reference nonetheless) and you can get great pictures if you don't come down here often.

Wow, thanks for all the great advice! I hadn't thought of Boston Market but that would be perfect for us. My 6 and 7 year olds would be happy with Kraft Mac & Cheese or a hotdog nuked at the FBO (assuming they have a microwave) but Boston Market would be much nicer for us adults. Long waits at restaurants are particularly bad with kids;)

Wow, thanks for all the great advice! I hadn't thought of Boston Market but that would be perfect for us. My 6 and 7 year olds would be happy with Kraft Mac & Cheese or a hotdog nuked at the FBO (assuming they have a microwave) but Boston Market would be much nicer for us adults. Long waits at restaurants are particularly bad with kids;)

Its at the end of the road from fbo. Straight out at the light. Cant miss it.

We're going the 3rd week of Feb, splitting between Universal and Disney. To be honest, we've done Disney to death and I'd say it's 75% the same as it was 25 years ago. However we're riding cattle call down and back.

The official Magical Express only goes to MCO, but if you're coming in at a GA airport, you can always call Disney and see if they can arrange a pickup. It's all done by an outside company (Mears), so they just need to run a van out to you.

Yaeh we generally buy annual passes to Disney but this weekend we did Universal. Kids are getting bigger and we needed a break.

You guys can keep the Magical Express... but on the other hand we go do other things too so we like the flexibility of having a car.

I suppose many people that visit it's their first visit so there really is so much to do and see....

It will be the first time in Orlando for our kids. We have a room at Disney's Art of Animation Resort from Feb 20 to 27 and park tickets for that week, so we probably won't have time to use a car even if we have one. I don't know how long a vacation it will take to recover from this one ;)

It will be the first time in Orlando for our kids. We have a room at Disney's Art of Animation Resort from Feb 20 to 27 and park tickets for that week, so we probably won't have time to use a car even if we have one. I don't know how long a vacation it will take to recover from this one ;)

I can do the parks only so much. I always try to sneak away for a day or two to do something else, check out Lake County, go to the beach etc.

Yaeh we generally buy annual passes to Disney but this weekend we did Universal. Kids are getting bigger and we needed a break.

You guys can keep the Magical Express... but on the other hand we go do other things too so we like the flexibility of having a car.

I suppose many people that visit it's their first visit so there really is so much to do and see....

Last time I was there, the Magic Kingdom was the only attraction... I went to the EPCOT grand opening.... Only two hotels on the property were the Contemporary and the Polynesian.... Seems to me tickets were 18 dollars...

I'm guessing they are a bit higher now..

I don't know if Disney will run a van or car out to pick up at another airport, but if you're planning to stay on Disney property for most or all of the week, a rental car is probably a waste of money. If you want a car for a day or two, National/Alamo has a presence on Disney property, and they will come to pick you up at your resort. You can book cars at the Disney property location as you normally would through National/Alamo, or through your favorite travel agent.

We've done the Magical Express from MCO multiple times now, and despite my general dislike for buses, we did not have any major issues. On the last trip, our bags somehow were delayed at MCO and therefore were delayed getting to the room, or at least that's the story we heard from Bell Services at the resort. It is nice with small kids to check your bags at the departure airport (or resort on the return trip) and not have to drag them around from that point. Obviously, not applicable if the flying is do-it-yourself or on an unsupported airline.

Disney front-loads the cost of multi-day park tickets almost entirely in the first three days of your stay. Beyond that, they're dirt cheap, which is a great way to tempt you to stay on property and spend more money. However, on our last trip, we only stayed three days and then departed the property (and the Orlando area) for the remainder of our trip.

Much of the parks haven't changed in many years (or decades), but the "classic" attractions are a draw for older folks who remember them from their youth. Disney has added most of the "new" attractions over the years by building new parks, such as MGM/Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. They've slightly expanded the Magic Kingdom, but in my opinion, the attractions area of Epcot needs some attention. There are the equivalent of several empty buildings which I presume they could repurpose for new attractions without destroying some of the old (but dated) "classics." I believe that they are dumping some money into Hollywood Studios in an attempt to better capitalize on their film assets. Animal Kingdom is our least favorite park, mostly because we think it doesn't live up to Disney standards in concept or execution.

We like Disney World for what it is, and generally speaking, Disney does a good job with execution considering the scale and annual attendance. The place is run mostly with college and foreign labor, and it is entirely fabricated, but the former are well-trained and the latter is usually so well done it's interesting to experience the result knowing that it used to be a swamp.

JKG

I'm an adult and still maintain an annual pass to this day, then again it's only an hour drive from me and Epcot for dinner or just a brief visit on weekdays when it's empty is always fun.

I should side note this with I'm a huge Disney fan, as of last month I've completed a bucket list item and I've now been to every Disney park in the world

I'm an adult and still maintain an annual pass to this day, then again it's only an hour drive from me and Epcot for dinner or just a brief visit on weekdays when it's empty is always fun.

I should side note this with I'm a huge Disney fan, as of last month I've completed a bucket list item and I've now been to every Disney park in the world

Except Disney made one huge mistake. They closed the Adventurers Club.

Kungaloosh

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Back