Another consealed gun question

pigpenracing

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
pigpen
My wife is going to look for a gun tomorrow. She wants something to keep in her purse for protection.
Semi auto or revolver?
She bought a Ruger lightweight 38 special revolver a few years ago. She is a pretty good shot with my sons 22 pistol and my Glock 45. She sold her revolver because she couldn't hit anything. I know a revolver is very simple and always ready to go. That is what she wants and needs. What is a good accurate revolver that is small enough to pack in a little purse? I told her the gun she had was great for self defense. I don't think she will be shooting fools 4 blocks away. She just wants one gun that she can pack and still have fun shooting at the range.

I have a concealed carry license myself and I have carried my weapon in my purse. I have a Glock model 26, the 9mm mini Glock. I like the gun and I shoot pretty well with it but in hind sight I;m not so sure its a good gun to carry in a purse, or any other automatic for that matter. Here is the reason I say that. If I am carrying in my purse and I am surprised bby someone trying to do me harm I feel that I need to be ready. To do that I think I feel I need a purse that is designed for carrying a gun and I feel that my best bet would be to have my hand on the weapon inside the area of the purse that is design for a gun. In such case I would expect that if I felt my life was in eminent danger I'm not so sure I would have the time to pull the weapon out. I would think I would need to shoot through the purse. An automatic would not be a good weapon as there would be no place for the spent brass to go and the possibility of jamming would be much higher. Given that I think I would be better off with a hammerless revolver.

Small and accurate are not that realistic as the small the gun and the shorter the barrel the less accurate the weapon will be. But, if you are talking about defending yourself when your life is in eminent danger you are really talking rather close range, probably within 10 feet. When I took my required training I was taught that the range would be no further than 20 feet otherwise there are other things besides shooting that can be done first. All of our shooting during that training was at targets no further than 20 feet.

I have learned that a purse is not a good place to carry a weapon but as a woman I know that it is often the only place I can carry it concealed. I would urge her to take a good look at purses designed for this purpose.

I'm sure others will have a lot more suggestions. I would also say that it would be a good idea to take a self defense course. I am currently looking into those now. The concealed carry training does not get very deep into that.

I hope this helps.

I have a concealed carry license myself and I have carried my weapon in my purse. I have a Glock model 26, the 9mm mini Glock. I like the gun and I shoot pretty well with it but in hind sight I;m not so sure its a good gun to carry in a purse, or any other automatic for that matter. Here is the reason I say that. If I am carrying in my purse and I am surprised bby someone trying to do me harm I feel that I need to be ready. To do that I think I feel I need a purse that is designed for carrying a gun and I feel that my best bet would be to have my hand on the weapon inside the area of the purse that is design for a gun. In such case I would expect that if I felt my life was in eminent danger I'm not so sure I would have the time to pull the weapon out. I would think I would need to shoot through the purse. An automatic would not be a good weapon as there would be no place for the spent brass to go and the possibility of jamming would be much higher. Given that I think I would be better off with a hammerless revolver.
Small and accurate are not that realistic as the small the gun and the shorter the barrel the less accurate the weapon will be. But, if you are talking about defending yourself when your life is in eminent danger you are really talking rather close range, probably within 10 feet. When I took my required training I was taught that the range would be no further than 20 feet otherwise there are other things besides shooting that can be done first. All of our shooting during that training was at targets no further than 20 feet.

I have learned that a purse is not a good place to carry a weapon but as a woman I know that it is often the only place I can carry it concealed. I would urge her to take a good look at purses designed for this purpose.

I'm sure others will have a lot more suggestions. I would also say that it would be a good idea to take a self defense course. I am currently looking into those now. The concealed carry training does not get very deep into that.

I hope this helps.

Yeah, all of this. My recommendation would be a Smith & Wesson airweight.

Yeah, all of this. My recommendation would be a Smith & Wesson airweight.

I second this recommendation. They are more than adequate out to 20 feet. I don't remember whether or not it comes in other calibers, but I recommend the 38 Special +P. If you need it, it will have enough momentum to get the job done.

Be sure the Airweight is hammer less. That way you can shoot through the purse and not jam it up.

Not being able to hit anything is not the gun, it is a training issue. Get some training from a competent instructor.

Edit: I see you're in Texas within striking distance of Denton. I seem to recall you have some fun planes and I am a firearms instructor...

See any possibilities for some trading??

I carried a S&W Model 38 Airweight Bodyguard as a backup gun in an ankle holster. Had to qualify with it from that position.

In short, it's plenty accurate as a defensive weapon. With proper training and practice, of course.

Be sure the Airweight is hammer less. That way you can shoot through the purse and not jam it up.

Not being able to hit anything is not the gun, it is a training issue. Get some training from a competent instructor.

Edit: I see you're in Texas within striking distance of Denton. I seem to recall you have some fun planes and I am a firearms instructor...

I give you a ride in my cool airplanes.
Then I give you a day with my wife.
Does that sound like a good deal for me :dunno:

Just looked back. She had the Ruger LCR 38 special.
She could hit whatever at 20 feet but she wanted to shoot targets much farther away.
I told her she needs a gun for self defense and a different one for long range target practice.

For target practice, Ruger makes a very nice semi-auto .22 LR. Fun to shoot and not too hard on the pocketbook for the ammo.

Imnho lightweight revolvers are some of the hardest handguns to shoot well and the various airweights and scandium revolvers don't exactly qualify as 'fun' shooters.

The best money she can spend is on a couple of hours of firearms instruction.

Lightweight revolvers are hard to shoot well, but just fine for self defense. If she wants to do both, then she needs two guns.

Just like she needs two purses, one for Utility and one for a night on the town...

the best gun for you (her) is the one you (she) shoots well. And you won't know that until you try them on, so get to a good range that has rental guns and test drive them.

As far as purse carry goes, I STRONGLY recommend a purse designed for concealed carry that has a built-in holster to secure the weapon and protect it. Do NOT just let her "toss it in there" ... first, it has to be in the same spot every time to develop a confident draw and presentation, and second (or probably first) it HAS to have the trigger protected from accidental or negligent discharge.

Do you have young kids? Even more important to secure the weapon and guard the trigger. A youngster shot his mother recently by playing in her purse and accessing the gun she carried loose in the purse.

Finally, my advice that we stress in every class we teach, look into and purchase an insurance package of some kind that protects you in the event of a shooting. There are many, USCCA, Law Shield, etc. I personally own the Law Shield policy. At the time, it was the only one that provided and paid for legal protection up front. The others were (at that time) reimbursement policies only.

We just got back from the range. She got the Glock 42 compact 380. We shot 10 guns and she liked it best. She shot it well.

We just got back from the range. She got the Glock 42 compact 380. We shot 10 guns and she liked it best. She shot it well.

If she carries it inside of a purse, make sure she has a tightly fitting holster that covers the trigger. Too much stuff inside of a purse that can get wedged into the trigger and cause a problem. Also, she needs to keep anything with strings, tassles and loops out of the purse.

I give you a ride in my cool airplanes.
Then I give you a day with my wife.
Does that sound like a good deal for me :dunno:

That sounds like a win / win for ME! What do you get out of it?? :dunno:

I saw that your wife liked the Glock 42. Now she definately needs some training. Semi autos for self defense are fine but do require some extra effort.

I'll send you a PM with my number

That sounds like a win / win for ME! What do you get out of it?? :dunno:

I saw that your wife liked the Glock 42. Now she definately needs some training. Semi autos for self defense are fine but do require some extra effort.

I'll send you a PM with my number

I think she chose this to get her chl and practice. She may get a revolver later for her purse??? She says since I collect airplanes she will collect guns. Lol

I think she chose this to get her chl and practice. She may get a revolver later for her purse??? She says since I collect airplanes she will collect guns. Lol

That definately sounds like a win/win! Not sure who will spend more money tho..

the best gun for you (her) is the one you (she) shoots well. And you won't know that until you try them on, so get to a good range that has rental guns and test drive them.

As far as purse carry goes, I STRONGLY recommend a purse designed for concealed carry that has a built-in holster to secure the weapon and protect it. Do NOT just let her "toss it in there" ... first, it has to be in the same spot every time to develop a confident draw and presentation, and second (or probably first) it HAS to have the trigger protected from accidental or negligent discharge.

Do you have young kids? Even more important to secure the weapon and guard the trigger. A youngster shot his mother recently by playing in her purse and accessing the gun she carried loose in the purse.

Finally, my advice that we stress in every class we teach, look into and purchase an insurance package of some kind that protects you in the event of a shooting. There are many, USCCA, Law Shield, etc. I personally own the Law Shield policy. At the time, it was the only one that provided and paid for legal protection up front. The others were (at that time) reimbursement policies only.

Greg managed to cover most of my response.

Please start with helping her learn how to shoot first. I highly recommend time with a professional trainer before any decisions are made on whether to carry, how to carry, and what to carry.

Off body carry brings with it risks and a responsibility to be very aware of surroundings. A stolen purse with a gun in it can be turned on someone innocent in the next mugging/robbery.

Check out The Cornered Cat and Flashbang. Everything you need to know.

Part of it is the ergonomics of the weapon. My first CC firearm was a Ruger SP-101 in .38SP and .357Mag. I couldn't hit the road side of a barn with it. I traded it in for a Glock 27 and have used that firearm for PPC competitions.

Greg managed to cover most of my response.

Please start with helping her learn how to shoot first. I highly recommend time with a professional trainer before any decisions are made on whether to carry, how to carry, and what to carry.

Off body carry brings with it risks and a responsibility to be very aware of surroundings. A stolen purse with a gun in it can be turned on someone innocent in the next mugging/robbery.
I am very hesitant about any form of off-body carry, but purse carry is especially bad. The most likely criminal situation you will find yourself in outside of your home is a simple mugging. If you're a woman, the criminal is after your purse. If your gun is in the purse, what do you do? You have no good option. That said, it is the only way some women will carry. Weigh the risks, but I'd try to talk her into a better option.

I am very hesitant about any form of off-body carry, but purse carry is especially bad. The most likely criminal situation you will find yourself in outside of your home is a simple mugging. If you're a woman, the criminal is after your purse. If your gun is in the purse, what do you do? You have no good option. That said, it is the only way some women will carry. Weigh the risks, but I'd try to talk her into a better option.

Well said.

I'm also highly concerned about two other things here.

Carrying a pistol to "feel safer" is often done without any intention of learning awareness and general self-defense. If someone is looking for a "feel good" self defense item, pepper spray is a lot better option.

Wielding deadly force requires a different mindset and serious decisions made long before a firearm is needed or utilized.

Many people don't decide a couple of things: They don't decide if they're committed to a course of action that may result in their imprisonment for life if they make a poor decision. And they don't think hard about what it may mean to take a shot that could take a life. It's serious business.

Secondarily, having talked with a significant number of female carriers, I've asked how many purse carry in a proper holster style purse and it's high. Very popular. Next question I ask is how many have found a range and instructor who will train to draw from such a carry configuration and almost none have even tried, let alone done it.

One surprised me and said she had found an instructor and range that would allow it, and trained to present a weapon from a concealed carry purse. She said it was very difficult and had to be done a very specific way to avoid muzzling (pointing the weapon at) herself, or the instructor, and making for a very unsafe draw. She recommended training to simply reach inside, aim the purse, and shoot through it in such a scenario. Which she said they did not train, since it would get very expensive very quickly. She suggested her instructor get a few of these style purses and blow some holes in them and use them for such training.

He was thinking about it as he has a significant number of female students. He was concerned that as an instructor there's not much one can see when training someone that way and a dangerous situation may not be able to be seen and corrected.

She also said in order to do that reliably, a revolver would be the appropriate pistol type for that type of engagement since a semi-auto would almost guaranteed be taken out of action in the first shot via interference with the slide. A derringer style would also usually work but be very limited in number of rounds available. Usually two. Even those options are poor with exposed hammers. They can catch on something and cause a failure to fire or worse become unhung at the wrong time and go forward the rest of the way to fire the pistol when the purse had been turned during a struggle.

Just a whole lot of "possibly bad".

She said she started carrying on-body except when absolutely necessary to use off body carry, after that real world range experience. She had convinced herself that the clothing differences and modification of wardrobe would be "ugly", "baggy" etc and then researched it and found there were plenty of ways to do it "fashionably".

Guys do have an advantage in this regard in that we typically wear pants and belts and they lend to proper holster use easier than some types of popular women's clothing. But there are options and they do nowadays get good coverage in places like YouTube and the aforementioned Cornered Cat website amongst others.

It's often helpful for women to talk with other women about these options. Many ranges run "Ladies Nights" with discounts on everything from rentals and range time, to gear, and even firearms. Worth looking into.

I think also it's worth training with self defense trainers without firearms.

Here's a way to demonstrate how useless pistol carry in a purse likely will be to her. Walk up to her from behind and tap her on the shoulder and hold your fingers in the shape of a gun. Ask what she'd do with a holstered pistol in a purse at that point. (It's a bad enough scenario to be outdrawn and surprised if the pistol is on your body in a solid strong side holster. You're going to need a lot of distraction and time to even draw against an already drawn pistol. In a purse it's likely impossible or even asking to be shot to attempt to deploy it.)

Anyway... Boring I know. But thoughts I felt needed to be passed along. Most self defense scenarios happen at point blank range and quickly. Bad guys don't usually announce from 10 yards away that they're going to jump someone and then walk in a straight line facing you to come do you harm.

I bought mine one of these for her car keychain. She's kind of a girly woman (you've met her I think) and guns scare her.

This thing would hurt and make most people want to run away.

31%2BcMbsvhBL._SY450_.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

I'm thinking about getting a Kel-Tec PMR 30. :)

Here's some real world statistics to share with anyone thinking about carrying a concealed firearm. These are FBI numbers a few years old.

Think about how this applies to off body or purse carry.

-----

55% of gunfights take place in 5-10 feet.
20% of gunfights take place in 10-21 feet.
(ETA) – 75% take place within 10 ft.
95% of gunfights take place in 0-21 feet. (Source- FBI)

The average man can cover 21 feet of ground in 1.5 seconds.

The average man cannot draw a gun from concealment in under 2 seconds.

The average gunfight is over in 3-5 seconds. 3 to 4 shots are usually fired.

Most gunfights take place in low light conditions. On average, one shot in four strikes someone.

-----

Think you're going to deploy a pistol from a purse in 2 seconds without considerable training? Most people can't do it from a strong side holster.

Just stuff for her and you to mentally chew on a bit.

Here's some real world statistics to share with anyone thinking about carrying a concealed firearm. These are FBI numbers a few years old.

Think about how this applies to off body or purse carry.

-----

55% of gunfights take place in 5-10 feet.
20% of gunfights take place in 10-21 feet.
(ETA) – 75% take place within 10 ft.
95% of gunfights take place in 0-21 feet. (Source- FBI)

The average man can cover 21 feet of ground in 1.5 seconds.

The average man cannot draw a gun from concealment in under 2 seconds.

The average gunfight is over in 3-5 seconds. 3 to 4 shots are usually fired.

Most gunfights take place in low light conditions. On average, one shot in four strikes someone.

-----

Think you're going to deploy a pistol from a purse in 2 seconds without considerable training? Most people can't do it from a strong side holster.

Just stuff for her and you to mentally chew on a bit.

Concur.

I can and have. It is not that big a deal. Most people can too. You might be surprised how quick you can draw strong side and still hit a paper plate at 7 yds. Just takes a little practice.

For this reason, the best gun is the one she will practice with.

The problem with a purse is that women don't always keep their purses, and thus their weapons, in their continuous physical possession. Just one scenario: if a kid has ever rummaged thru her purse looking for, say, gum... consider that when carrying. She cannot let her weapon out of her control.

Her weapon is her responsibility and no one else's. Shouldn't carry if she cannot accept that. Don't treat a carry purse the same as a regular purse. Carry is a committment that supercedes many other things.

Last edited:
I will repeat - I cannot recommend this strongly enough ... find and attend a free US Law Shield seminar. Consider ALL the ramifications of a self defense shooting, even justified.

Check out The Cornered Cat and Flashbang. Everything you need to know.

This. ^^^^^^^^ Cornered Cat is geared towards women, and written by a woman that knows her stuff. Pros and cons of purse carry are addressed. If she carries in her purse, make sure it is in a holster designed for that. You want that Glock trigger COVERED, and protected.

I am not a fan of purse carry or carrying off body as crooks often grab the bag and run, and there goes your gun. See if she will consider concealed carry on her person. There are rigs designed for women.

http://www.corneredcat.com/

Is anyone here a member of the US Concealed Carry Association? Pros or cons?

Friend on mine started with USCCA and switched to US Law Shield after we both compared their plans. At that time, USCCA was a reimbursement policy and US Law Shield was not.

There was a lot of good things in USCCA but this one discriminator was a big one for us.

Friend on mine started with USCCA and switched to US Law Shield after we both compared their plans. At that time, USCCA was a reimbursement policy and US Law Shield was not.

There was a lot of good things in USCCA but this one discriminator was a big one for us.

Greg, thanks. I'll have to look at US Law Shield and see what they're offering. USCCA has been pushing hard to get people to sign up lately. Lot's of drawings for giveaways, but no information on their monthly fee.

most important, let her pick the gun and let her practice. Sub nose revolvers have advantages, easy to shoot is not one of them.

Back