Would you travel with your family?

I still need to get them a dedicated kiddo headset, but they seem to do ok with the adult size squished down a bit. ;)

Almost all our family trips have been in the airplane. Thousands of hours. My daughter had her first flight at about six months. She is now 17 and about to solo.

Flying the kids to Disney in the morning! They love to fly!

Love seeing the family shots! Our kids are experiencing something that very few in the world get to experience. So cool!

Here's mine to share:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2015-Sep-25 11h39m22s.JPG
    2015-Sep-25 11h39m22s.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 114
Here's my family "selfie" taken by my brother in the right seat...

IMG_20160101_133259.jpg

I have been flying with the family in the plane since my oldest was a toddler. He is now 15. In the early years, our trips were short and infrequent, but over time, the trips have become more frequent of longer duration.

Every time I hear about a plane that crashes and takes a family, I can't help but think "there but for the grace of God go I." I take my training very seriously and I try to stay proficient in the airplane.

I am much more conservative when I am flying with the family, as compared to when I fly alone. I want them to be comfortable, as well, and they don't like weather or turbulence. I am far more likely to postpone a trip based upon weather if they are going to be on board. I am also much more likely to go around a line of weather with them in the plane, where I may go through it if I am alone.

We now use the plane to do much of our travel and some of the most memorable times that we have had were on unscheduled stops or delays coming home when we got stuck somewhere because of weather!

Here is the clan:

attachment.php

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    313.3 KB · Views: 95
I have been flying with the family in the plane since my oldest was a toddler. He is now 15. In the early years, our trips were short and infrequent, but over time, the trips have become more frequent of longer duration.

Every time I hear about a plane that crashes and takes a family, I can't help but think "there but for the grace of God go I." I take my training very seriously and I try to stay proficient in the airplane.

I am much more conservative when I am flying with the family, as compared to when I fly alone. I want them to be comfortable, as well, and they don't like weather or turbulence. I am far more likely to postpone a trip based upon weather if they are going to be on board. I am also much more likely to go around a line of weather with them in the plane, where I may go through it if I am alone.

We now use the plane to do much of our travel and some of the most memorable times that we have had were on unscheduled stops or delays coming home when we got stuck somewhere because of weather!

Here is the clan:

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Nice interior! Is that a Malibu? EDIT: Just noticed the door on the co-pilot side... so it's not. What type of plane is that?

Last edited:
The last plane was a Meridian. Here is the some of the in that one:

attachment.php

The current ride is an Eclipse 500.

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    858.1 KB · Views: 87
Meridian to Eclipse... Nice upgrade! ;)

I'll actually bet the Eclipse is more fuel efficient per NM than the Meridian... no?

I think you've missed the point.

Of course if you don't personally drink and drive that will help, but the issue on the road is that people that text or drink while driving tend to kill other drivers, not themselves. You can't control for that.

Nope, didn't miss the point. Am contesting the significance of the point and the assertion that it turns the tables 180 degrees as the OP was arguing. In both forms of travel there are simple things that can be done to stack the deck in your favor. The OP was implying that wasn't true for driving, which I disagree with. From a statistics standpoint, you can't assume the pilot will do the right thing and then compare that to the driver not taking similar kinds of precautions.

Meridian to Eclipse... Nice upgrade! ;)

I'll actually bet the Eclipse is more fuel efficient per NM than the Meridian... no?

Excellent observation! I am finding that for trips longer than 500 miles, the Eclipse is more efficient, but for shorter trips it burns more fuel. However, it is not terrible, even for the short trips at low altitude.

I really enjoyed my Meridian, but I absolutely love the Eclipse! I am having a blast with it!

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Our first family X/C in our RV-10 this past July to Oshkosh. It was also our first time flying into Osh.

11745756_10206337250261489_6365903584963785140_n.jpg

Absolutely. Many trips with the two of us to Buffalo, Piseco, Poughkeepsie, Washington DC, Portland Maine (LL Bean shopping and AA baseball), and occasional longer trips (Florida). It's nice to divide driving time by 3.

Back