SYNTHROID

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
My personal physician put me on SYNTHROID and I started taking 25 MCG of SYNTHROID taking one tablet in the morning. 12/1/2015

I was put on this because my Thyroid tests were slightly high.

I am scheduled to go and see him January 25, 2016. If my thyroid tests are normal, in January, he will leave the dosage alone.

If everything turns out okay and he leaves me on the SYNTHROID, how do I report this to my FAA Doctor?

I have kept myself grounded but would like to start flying again in February.

What would be my next step after I see my private physician?

My medical is not due until 08/2016.

Thanks,

Terry

P.S.- Also, what if everything is super duper and I wind up being on NO medications?

Would I still need to report this to the FAA Medical Examiner?

I've never met anyone who went off synthroid. Seems like 50% of adults in the US are on synthroid. Nothing to do until your schedule AME exam. You need to take a letter to the AME from the physician listing dosage and TSH level taken within 60 or 90 days before your medical. It's really a no brainer.

You probably won't have a negative reaction to the drug. It's been 3 weeks, right? If you're a member of AOPA call them and ask how long you need to avoid flying - I'll take any bet that they will say go fly now.

I have been on it a month and no side effects or any reactions.

I do feel better though.

Terry

I have been on the equivalent for over 20 years, no issue. I take Levoxyl.
But my first medical I did have a couple of hoops to go through so talk to your AME well in advance to know what, if any, hoops and hurdles you may have. Bruce Chen helped me.
No problems with medical since.

This depends. The enforcement history suggests that if you have never been a CFI it's a hard haul for the agency to prove you had reason to know about 67.307 . CFIs learn about that for their orals.

So many would say, if you are being corrected, you can fly.to your next medical. The PROPER way is to ask your AME, with details. If you don't feel you can ask him....you have the wrong AME.

Just beware: when you get to your 2 year reporting point, and report a bunch of hours flown and your TSH is not normal.....you are in a world of potential regulatory hurt.

So, get enough Synthroid, to get a normal TSH.

Last edited:
I grounded myself some time ago and will stay grounded until my Endocrinologist appointment the 25th of the month. ( and if tests show okay)

Hopefully everything will test out okay then.

Just taking it one day at a time.

Terry

UPDATE,

Hi everyone,

I am taking 25mcg of Synthroid and my Thyroid tests are all showing normal and I am doing quite well.

Will ride "right seat" for awhile and slowly get back to flying once again.

Don't worry Dr. Bruce. I will follow the regulations. :)

Terry

Just for fun.... pilots should read the fine print on the back of their medical cert.

Seems like 50% of adults in the US are on synthroid.

I read somewhere that Levothyroxine (brand name Synthroid) is the most prescribed medicine in the US.

Another useless fact for you to absorb. :D

Last edited:
Seriously, I remember when a thyroid scrip was no big deal during a flight physical. Then the policy was reviewed by the FAA and a simple low dose of a thyroid med required an SI, which I had for several years. What's the policy now? It's something in between an SI and no big deal, right? (I don't take thyroid any longer so I haven't kept up.)

My last medical, (less than 2 years ago) my Primary doc had to write a letter to the AME specifically about my levothyroxin. Since they were the same person, I'm not sure what went in it. I did not need an SI.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back