Which go pro?

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
Hi everyone
I am going to get myself a gopro. My uses are, motorcycle rides, flying.

What the recommendations?

Thanks

Two buttons to figure out 50 functions, what a nightmare.

And the battery life absolutely sux. I don't know how these folks are posting utube vids of their trips. They must have ten batteries or a hot lead to it.

I'm thinking about trying a Garmin virb. Hear good things about the virb...

Two buttons to figure out 50 functions, what a nightmare.

And the battery life absolutely sux. I don't know how these folks are posting utube vids of their trips. They must have ten batteries or a hot lead to it.

I'm thinking about trying a Garmin virb.

Battery lasts a good while.. unless you use the wireless option to a phone to view the recording to change settings.....

Then the battery life SUCKS....:redface:

Battery lasts a good while.. unless you use the wireless option to a phone to view the recording to change settings.....

Then the battery life SUCKS....:redface:

Yessir, those polished videos on utube take a great amount of editing and download time too.

If you have it wired into the com, and have power to it, you've got Frankenstein's monster of wiring also.

I have the original. Record my races all the time. Works great and battery lasts hours.

I have a couple of the Hero3's and a Hero4Session. No issue with battery life on any of them. The GoPro editing suite that comes free with the camera makes editing the videos a breeze. The Hero4Session is perfect for mounting outside the airplane. I use the sticky mounts as they are temporary and easy to remove.

I guess some on this forum don't do any interesting flying, therefore wouldn't have any use for these. I do a lot of formation flying and the GoPro's make for some excellent viewing after the flights.

I always have one mounted in the cockpit. a single cable connected to back seat intercoms mutes the engine noise and puts the cockpit coms on the video. No wiring mess at all.

PM me if you want the details. I've been using the GoPro's with my flying for a few years now and will buy another Hero4Session this week as they're on sale.

Garmin Virb.

Has GPS. FTW

I am tormented which to get, the Virb or the GoPro, both look good,on paper but have not talked to anyone who has first hand experience with either, but someone here commented "2 buttons for 50 functions" was interesting.

What's the real world battery life for the two ?

I think you'll find the battery life to be about the same. The real difference between these cameras is that the Garmin includes other Data fields on the video such as MPH, G-force, Direction of Travel, etc. GoPro doesn't. GoPro has a much larger after market accessory community. So it's easy to find replacement batteries, lens filters, mounts, cables, etc.

GoPro also offers the 4Session which is half the size of any other GoPro or the Virb. But the battery isn't removable.

Both have good Apps, both are remote controllable, both are light weight and small, they are about the same price, both shoot excellent video, stills, time-lapse, etc.

Just pick one...

I bought a white virb elite off of amazon last week as they were on sale for $180. I have no complaints other than it gets warm with WiFi on.

I have a 4 black. Takes about 20-30 minutes to upload an hour video in 1080p. Little more in 4K

The best way to transfer video is to pop the card out of the camera and insert it directly in the laptop, or use an adaptor. It never takes more than a minute to transfer an hour if video.

The best way to transfer video is to pop the card out of the camera and insert it directly in the laptop, or use an adaptor. It never takes more than a minute to transfer an hour if video.

Thats what I do

\

Yup...

SDXC_Card_Reader_0.jpg

Thank you everyone. This helps. I am still undecided, but leaning to Hero 3.
I don't know what the 4 Session will do that the 3 won't, yet.
My main thing is remote control, although I was told that the 3 should be able to be controlled from IPhone.

Hero 4 silver. Get it and be done. Best all around one if you don't need the Black's frame rates.

Hero 3 Silver it is
Now that brings up another question, where do I get the cable to plug in my headphones/mike in the aircraft to get the audio?

Nobody needs more videos of straight and level in Cessnas and Pipers without singing or lip syncing.

David White was ahead of his time.

Back