Got the medical but FAA won't supply student cert?

rosssr20

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ross
When I began my training I used the AME online website to book an appointment for a medical/student certificate. AME only gave me a medical. When I called him he said call the FAA. When I called the FAA they mailed me my medical again. Still no student certificate. I called them twice and still just a 3rd class medical and a letter saying its a student and medical... But the actual document is just a medical.

I've gotten my log book endorsed for 90 day solo in type and have over 35hrs and will be taking the written this month.

Do I need a student certificate? How do I get one when the FAA can't seem to figure out that I keep asking for it?

My CFI says the FAA is just being the FAA and my existing paperwork should work. I trust the guy but it just seems weird.

Hope this makes sense and someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

If the FAA issued A third class medical,your good to go .

Ron: they sure did but where do endorsements go that would normally go on the student certificate?

If the FAA issued A third class medical,your good to go .

No he's not. He needs a student pilot certificate. He can go to a DPE or even the the local FSDO (make appt first) if it wasn't originally issued by the AME.

If I can get one from a DPE can I just wait for my check ride or is there a downside to doing that?

If I can get one from a DPE can I just wait for my check ride or is there a downside to doing that?

No, you will need the student pilot certificate with appropriate signed endorsements on you when you do your solo flights.

No. You need the student pilot certificate to solo.

The same thing happened when I was a student. The AME's office called the FSDO and a correct certificate was mailed to me within a few weeks.

When I began my training I used the AME online website to book an appointment for a medical/student certificate. AME only gave me a medical. When I called him he said call the FAA. When I called the FAA they mailed me my medical again. Still no student certificate. I called them twice and still just a 3rd class medical and a letter saying its a student and medical... But the actual document is just a medical.

I've gotten my log book endorsed for 90 day solo in type and have over 35hrs and will be taking the written this month.

Do I need a student certificate? How do I get one when the FAA can't seem to figure out that I keep asking for it?

My CFI says the FAA is just being the FAA and my existing paperwork should work. I trust the guy but it just seems weird.

Hope this makes sense and someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

If that is what the FSDO sent you, you're good to go.

Already solo and endorsement went into my logbook. Letter from FAA literally claims they sent me a student cert but the paper is clearly just a 3rd class medical. I guess I will play it safe and find a DME and ask nicely ;)

Thanks for the rapid response guys!!

Already solo and endorsement went into my logbook. Letter from FAA literally claims they sent me a student cert but the paper is clearly just a 3rd class medical. I guess I will play it safe and find a DME and ask nicely ;)

DPE, DME is Distance Measuring Equipment. ;) You can, and ask him how much scheduling lead he needs, but you really don't need more than you have because nobody cares. Seriously, nobody...cares. The only people who have anything to say about it at all sent you a letter to cover you. You're good, nobody at the FAA is trying to trip you up with this, it's all good.

I sorta had the same thing happen. My original exam included items for special issuance so the AME deferred me and all my info went off to OKC for review. 7 weeks later, I got my approval and 3rd class medical, but no student cert.

I was directed to talk with the FSDO. So I made an appointment, showed up, and the very helpful inspector did his thing and I walked out with the student cert.

When I'm done talking with the DME I will have a chat with a PAPI. I better go to sleep :p

When I'm done talking with the DME I will have a chat with a PAPI. I better go to sleep :p

:lol: Before you go for your checkride, look up your name on the FAA Database, you should appear there as a student pilot. You may now, or you may not, it sometimes takes a few weeks to show up.

Did the medical form change with MedXpress? Form 8500-8 was both a student pilot certificate and medical on the same piece of paper.

Did the medical form change with MedXpress? Form 8500-8 was both a student pilot certificate and medical on the same piece of paper.

Actually, there were 2 layers of it, white and yellow. Yellow had the SP attached. Now all the docs just print them on their office printer.

DPE, DME is Distance Measuring Equipment. ;) You can, and ask him how much scheduling lead he needs, but you really don't need more than you have because nobody cares. Seriously, nobody...cares. The only people who have anything to say about it at all sent you a letter to cover you. You're good, nobody at the FAA is trying to trip you up with this, it's all good.

DME could also be designated mechanic examiner :)

No, you will need the student pilot certificate with appropriate signed endorsements on you when you do your solo flights.
You only get the student pilot certificate medical the first time, after that any medical certificate you get will only be a medical certificate without the student pilot certificate. You now have to get just the student pilot certificate by itself from a Designated Pilot Examiner or FAA office.

You only get the student pilot certificate medical the first time, after that any medical certificate you get will only be a medical certificate without the student pilot certificate. You now have to get just the student pilot certificate by itself from a Designated Pilot Examiner or FAA office.

What does that have to do with what you quoted???

I was addressing the OPs question asking if he could wait until he sees the DPE at the checkride to get the student pilot certificate. He can't.

What does that have to do with what you quoted???

I was addressing the OPs question asking if he could wait until he sees the DPE at the checkride to get the student pilot certificate. He can't.
Just thought I would add a little to what you said.

Do you have a older (original when you first started) student pilot cert/medical certificate w/ the endorsements on it? And are you now getting another physical because the first one (Student Pilot Cert/Medical) has expired (medical portion)? If you still have the first one (student pilot cert) you need to carry that with you along with the new physical certificate.

I was in the same situation. I drove to the fsdo and got them to give me a student pilot certificate. Separate document. It was a bit of a hassle but it worked.

Last edited:
I recall the AME printing the 3rd class medical in his office and signing it, and that it folded in half and had the student certificate on the back. It wasn't that long ago and I doubt the procedure has changed.

I'm confused. The third class medical is the student pilot certificate...

That's what it should have happened, but it was processed as a medical only and printed out that way (in the old days the student pilot certificate was the top of the stack of carbons, a regular medical only underneath, and then the forms, but that is history now. Those forms no longer exist. Everything is done on computers).

Not good enough. You need to think seriously about your instructor.
Your CERTIFICATE must be endorsed (one time) for each make and model flown.

The logbook needs an endorsement every 90 days (and a one-time endorsement for going to class B, C, or D airspace).

I'm confused. The third class medical is the student pilot certificate...

That's what it should have happened, but it was processed as a medical only and printed out that way (in the old days the student pilot certificate was the top of the stack of carbons, a regular medical only underneath, and then the forms, but that is history now. Those forms no longer exist. Everything is done on computers).

Not good enough. You need to think seriously about your instructor.
Your CERTIFICATE must be endorsed (one time) for each make and model flown.

The logbook needs an endorsement every 90 days (and a one-time endorsement for going to class B, C, or D airspace).

Congratulations, you've already busted FARs.

Did your instructor write anything on your "medical" or just in your logbook? I'm thinking he missed something here, especially if you're stating you don't have a student pilot certificate.

But, there could be some confusion on what you actually have, which is why I'm asking.

I'm confused. The third class medical is the student pilot certificate... At least mine was. It looked a lot like this one: http://learntoflyhere.com/2012/11/19/student-pilot-and-faa-medical-certificates/ Which specifically says "And Student Pilot Certificate". However, this was awhile ago. Have things changed?

I think you're a bit confused. The third class medical is just a medical. The student pilot certificate commonly gets issued at the same time, and is typically attached to the medical. Hence the confusion. You're really receiving two separate documents/certificates, even if they're printed on the same piece of paper. :)

Post a picture of your whole medical certificate with the important info blacked out for privacy. We'll get this sorted out.

FYI my separate student pilot certificate has on it

FAA Form 8710-2 (2-77) formerly FAA form 8420-1

My Student certificate was Yellow and said on the front that it was both a Medical ____ Class and Student Pilot Certificate.

To answer a few questions this medical was from medXpress and was issued this past September. It doesn't mention student and it didn't have a second page. My solo endorsement is for 90 days and I haven't used it because I just got it and want to make sure my paperwork is in order. I'm going to call a DPE tomorrow and get the student certificate.

Will let ya'll know how it goes...

Thanks!

To answer a few questions this medical was from medXpress and was issued this past September. It doesn't mention student and it didn't have a second page. My solo endorsement is for 90 days and I haven't used it because I just got it and want to make sure my paperwork is in order. I'm going to call a DPE tomorrow and get the student certificate.

Thanks!

Dr Bruce in post# 4 made that suggestion...... He is a GOOD guy...:yes:

Thanks!

If you truly have no student pilot certificate your instructor has not properly endorsed you for solo. I would suggest getting one before soloing again.

Hopefully you have a DPE near you that will get you a student pilot certificate with minimal hassle.

If you truly have no student pilot certificate your instructor has not properly endorsed you for solo. I would suggest getting one before soloing again.

Hopefully you have a DPE near you that will get you a student pilot certificate with minimal hassle.
He said "my solo endorsement is for 90 days and i haven't used it"

Where is the concern over busting FARs and "soloing again.."

Got an appointment with the FSDO. Wasn't able to find a DPE... Unless anyone knows one near NYC?

FSDO will do you just fine.

Back