NA - Get cat out of our bed

Yes, but they are to busy enjoying doing your wife in the butt.

Hahaha!!! Would never have thought that was funny until you said it would be...

You ever seen the Hangover? I don't think they pack the "gear" for that.:sosp:

Put the cat out of the bedroom and shut the door... or buy a dog.

Don't buy a dog. There's plenty that just need a home. Dog and cat breeders are on the same level as . . . .

I like them all. I've lived with lots of strange animals all my life, I seem to attract animal girls.:lol: The only thing I don't like as a pet is a pig. The polecat family, including skunks, are my favorites, always fun. My ex-wife decided to date me because her chow that hates everyone layed down at my feet.:lol:

I'm the same way. Even mean dogs whose owners say they hate everyone like me, as do the various wild critters.

I also share your liking for skunks. I have one living under the porch who may as well be a pet. She's never shown any fear of me, even when the kits were following her around. She even came up on the porch a few times to beg handouts when I was snacking on stuff she liked.

I think of all the wild critters, the skunks are the ones who size people up most quickly and are most content to co-exist with those humans who mean them no harm. Once they get to know you, they're almost affectionate. I extricated one who'd fallen into an above-ground swimming pool that had been emptied so the liner could be changed, and it immediately understood that I was trying to help. I just put the ladder in the pool, and it climbed up before I even moved away.

There's also a local fox who thinks he's a dog who comes around with a dumb grin and a wagging tail once in a while looking for handouts, but he likes everyone. He just makes the rounds. I also have more chipmunks than I can keep track of living in my rock wall (which also serves as home for quite a few snakes, interestingly enough). The chipmunks come out when I fill the bird feeder and have gotten to the point that they'll take seeds from my hand.

Which is another thing that amuses me: When they take seeds from my hand, they use their paws, not their mouths. They take the seeds with their paws and stuff them in their cheeks. When they take seeds from the ground, on the other hand, they use their mouths. I guess "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" is in fact some sort of universal rule.

The other funny thing is that when I have guests, the animals stay clear. I guess they don't generalize that all humans are the same. There's a milk snake living under my steps that basks all day on sunny days. I have to step over it when I walk past. But let someone else show up, and it disappears.

By the way: I used to be able to get my hands on oral rabies vaccine impregnated into fish-smelling blocks and scatter it about for the wild carnivores. I haven't been able to get it for a while, though. If you know of a source, please let me know.

As for myself, I've been vaccinated multiple times, but it's probably time for a booster. I probably should get my hands on some Imovax over the winter if that's what they're still using. Otherwise I'll have to break down and pay the doc for a scrip.

Rich

Last edited:
I think of all the wild critters, the skunks are the ones who size people up most quickly and are most content to co-exist with those humans who mean them no harm.
My late father used to say that he had reached an accommodation with the family of skunks that lived under his deck: They got cat food; he got protection.

My late father used to say that he had reached an accommodation with the family of skunks that lived under his deck: They got cat food; he got protection.

I often wonder if prey animals like chipmunks do something similar: Act cute with friendly humans for the humans' entertainment, in return for protection against their natural enemies. I call it the "friendly predator" theory.

Rich

I'm the same way. Even mean dogs whose owners say they hate everyone like me, as do the various wild critters.

I also share your liking for skunks. I have one living under the porch who may as well be a pet. She's never shown any fear of me, even when the kits were following her around. She even came up on the porch a few times to beg handouts when I was snacking on stuff she liked.

I think of all the wild critters, the skunks are the ones who size people up most quickly and are most content to co-exist with those humans who mean them no harm. Once they get to know you, they're almost affectionate. I extricated one who'd fallen into an above-ground swimming pool that had been emptied so the liner could be changed, and it immediately understood that I was trying to help. I just put the ladder in the pool, and it climbed up before I even moved away.

There's also a local fox who thinks he's a dog who comes around with a dumb grin and a wagging tail once in a while looking for handouts, but he likes everyone. He just makes the rounds. I also have more chipmunks than I can keep track of living in my rock wall (which also serves as home for quite a few snakes, interestingly enough). The chipmunks come out when I fill the bird feeder and have gotten to the point that they'll take seeds from my hand.

Which is another thing that amuses me: When they take seeds from my hand, they use their paws, not their mouths. They take the seeds with their paws and stuff them in their cheeks. When they take seeds from the ground, on the other hand, they use their mouths. I guess "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" is in fact some sort of universal rule.

The other funny thing is that when I have guests, the animals stay clear. I guess they don't generalize that all humans are the same. There's a milk snake living under my steps that basks all day on sunny days. I have to step over it when I walk past. But let someone else show up, and it disappears.

By the way: I used to be able to get my hands on oral rabies vaccine impregnated into fish-smelling blocks and scatter it about for the wild carnivores. I haven't been able to get it for a while, though. If you know of a source, please let me know.

As for myself, I've been vaccinated multiple times, but it's probably time for a booster. I probably should get my hands on some Imovax over the winter if that's what they're still using. Otherwise I'll have to break down and pay the doc for a scrip.

Rich

Raccoons are like that too. When I hand feed them, they'll grab it out of my hands with their paws to eat it. I think it's because they're afraid to get their head trapped, although I can reach down and pet most of them.:dunno:

Yes, but they are to busy enjoying doing your wife in the butt.

Hahaha!!! Would never have thought that was funny until you said it would be...

Helps to know your audience. I've never been married. Joke fail.

Solution for the OP - a small water gun or a spray bottle with water. A couple good shots to the head, they leave.

I like cats, but I trained mine to be more like a dog than a cat. He knew who was boss, and it wasn't him.

Cats can be trained just as well as dogs but because they are smaller and not as clumsy, don't knock things over with their tail or slobber all over everything they grow up used to people letting them get away with stuff that a dog would catch hell for.

Funny thing is, the cat is training the dog. The cat is allowed everywhere in the house except the guest bedroom, and not on the kitchen counters or leather couch.

The dog is only allowed in the laundry room and kitchen area. The cat knows that and will chase the dog out of the family room area back into the laundry room. Then will stand guard to make sure the dog doesn't try to get out of her area.

The dog, still a puppy, is learning where she can and can't be.

And the cat needs to get her licks in while she still can...:lol:

I changed the routine so that I only give them canned food after work. The automatic feeder doles out dry food for the rest of the day. This succeeded where squirts of water / compressed air did not.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: And you think babies can cry loud and incessantly...:rofl: Or scratch at the door for hours on end...:rofl:

We had this problem one year. It seemed as if the cat's stomach was tied to sunrise, and as spring came the cat wanted fed earlier and earlier. We kept the bedroom door closed and you are correct that cats have no problem keeping you awake through a closed door.

Finally I heaved a book at the door. BAM! :hairraise: Cats stopped the noise routine permanently. I was surprised how effective that was... I think it was near total silence in the bedroom and then the book that surprised the poop out of them! Fortunately not literally!

I knew "War and Peace" was good for something! ;););)

-Skip

Last edited:
Grab the nearest piece if cat firmly, twitch your arm. Cat us now surprised and across the room. If this does not improve the situation, install a dog in place of the cat. My dog will stay in his crate as long as we stay in bed. That's a nice feature on weekends, when my alarm doesn't ring at 0420.

In a crate all night ? What a wonderful existence that must be for him ! :rolleyes: how about the two of you trying trading places for a couple nights ? Why do people get pets if they don't have room for them to roam ? Might as well left in the crate at the shelter - not much difference. "Here, I'm gonna rescue you, gonna take you from this cell to another cell, there feel better ?" . Wtf ?

In a crate all night ? What a wonderful existence that must be for him ! :rolleyes: how about the two of you trying trading places for a couple nights ? Why do people get pets if they don't have room for them to roam ? Might as well left in the crate at the shelter - not much difference. "Here, I'm gonna rescue you, gonna take you from this cell to another cell, there feel better ?" . Wtf ?

We don't crate anymore, but dogs are den animals and often prefer sleeping in "their den".

Our big boy still goes into his when he wants dark/quiet. The door was removed years ago. (Actually he prefers the previous dog's, which I feel is too small for him, but he seems to like it. He goes in there to sleep, all on his own, nearly every night.)

Crate training is very common and done correctly the dog feels comforted, not confined, by the crate.

If your dog is anxious in a crate, you didn't train correctly.

Crate training is useful for other reasons also, control of the dog when strangers are working on things in the house, transportation, introducing a dog to a new environment so they have a "safe" place to retreat to, etc.

The dog is supposed to feel comfortable and even comforted by it. Not anxious.

One of my friends who trains police dogs does joke a bit with it though, his command for "go to your crate" is "Lockdown!" Haha.

You have obviously never crate trained a dog. Its the best thing for them. As puppies it helps them learn not to pee and poop in the house. Start when you get the pup, after 3-4 weeks they are completely housebroken and sleeping through the night. Once they are around a year old, the door to the crate stays open all the time.

Since he was about 2 years old my lab puts himself to bed every night around 11PM. He disappears out of the living room and where do we find him.. in the crate!

Last edited:
Since he was about 2 years old my lab puts himself to bed every night around 11PM. He disappears out of the living room and where do we find him.. in the crate!

Same thing here and we rescued the boy at about a year old. If we notice he's disappeared after about 8PM, he's always found snoring in his crate in our bedroom.

He was crate trained because he was anxious in a house alone. Video showed he would pace and worry. Once crate trained, he would go nearly instantly to sleep if crated, and he was comfortable and not anxious.

After a while the crate door was no longer closed and he'd stay there anyway. Now a few years later he's decided one of the couches is "his" when nobody is around and he lounges there. He'll even complain at me if I'm lying on it and he wants up there. Ha. Spoiled 85-90 lb boy. He's non-dominant so he'll complain and then hang his head if I won't make room for him.

He's a huge lounge lizard. Lays around unless there's treats to be had.

The little girl was three when we rescued her and we never bothered because she's a "Velcro" dog. She's always nearby even if she wants to sleep. She has issues with being separated from the pack leaders, so we never bothered. Even with strangers in the house she stays close to one of us.

She's the dominant dog between the two but has no interest in doing anything but barking from a distance at people she doesn't know. She has an abuse background so she stick close to humans she knows. And she's extremely jealous of any attention paid to the big guy. She wants it all.

Training is a breeze with both of them. He's food motivated and she's attention motivated. A great combo. We had to break her of food guarding though, she'd had too many years of not enough for dinner. That took about four months. She knows there's plenty of food now and runs to her "spot" and sits immediately whenever it's breakfast or dinner time and she's telling us she's "ready to eat". Heh.

Such characters they are. Quite fun.

Back