NA - Get cat out of our bed

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
I have a cat who has me trained to feed her at 4:30am or so. I need to break her of this habit. Any suggestions?

Your cat has a human.
Your purpose in all this IS to be trained.
All is well in this scenario.

Leave the bowl full of food.

If she's left with food, she will overeat and puke. I thought that a timed automatic feeder would fix that problem, but now she just wants the canned food smack.

If she's left with food, she will overeat and puke. I thought that a timed automatic feeder would fix that problem, but now she just wants the canned food smack.

Well, the trick is like children then, you have to bear the pain of training it out of them, with a cat literally. If your cat doesn't like to be held or snuggled, every time she comes, snuggle up until she shreds your arm to escape. However cats are nocturnal feeders and 4:30am is dinner time.

The other option is to put the can of food and a plate on your nightstand so you can just roll over, feed her, and get back to sleep.

Any Korean restaurants nearby?

With a bit of ingenuity and a trip to WW Grainger and IKEA, you can make a mini Rube Golberg contraption with an electric motor driving a crank that's attached to a drawer on a small shelf in a box on the floor actuated by a timer set for 4am. You preload load the drawer with the food and close it, 4am hits the drawer opens and the cat eats.:D

Grab the nearest piece if cat firmly, twitch your arm. Cat us now surprised and across the room. If this does not improve the situation, install a dog in place of the cat. My dog will stay in his crate as long as we stay in bed. That's a nice feature on weekends, when my alarm doesn't ring at 0420.

Keep extra pillows on your bed. Throw as needed.

Automatic feeder. Our cat is timed.

Cats, as with wives, and most things in life, are best dealt with along the path of least resistance.:rofl:

That's why I'm a dog person. He's half German Shepherd, half Black Lab.

I like them all. I've lived with lots of strange animals all my life, I seem to attract animal girls.:lol: The only thing I don't like as a pet is a pig. The polecat family, including skunks, are my favorites, always fun. My ex-wife decided to date me because her chow that hates everyone layed down at my feet.:lol:

Your dog sleeps with you because he loves you. Your cat sleeps with you because he loves your bed.

:rolleyes2:

I think the 80/20 split holds here too, dogs can get testy when you try to claim you spot in the bed.:rofl:

Put the cat out of the bedroom and shut the door... or buy a dog.

Put the cat out of the bedroom and shut the door... or buy a dog.

That's what I did. For a while they would pound on my bedroom door, and meow at 0 dark 30. Getting greeted by a water spray bottle fixed that. If that hadn't worked.......... :D

I thought that a timed automatic feeder would fix that problem, but now she just wants the canned food smack.

Just leave the dry stuff out there. She will eventually get hungry enough she will cave and eat the dry stuff.

What time is the last feed before bedtime ?

I have 3 , last feed is approx 9:30pm and that carries them thru 8:30am issh most days.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 26
Mine gave up. Period. Occasionally he will jump up there and sleep but that's it. He doesn't get fed until the next proscribed feeding time, which is normally evenings.

I mean he has access to the dry stuff, I'm not going to let him starve. But look, nighty night time is nighty night time and eating time is eating time. He doesn't get fed at nighty night time.

Mine gave up. Period. Occasionally he will jump up there and sleep but that's it. He doesn't get fed until the next proscribed feeding time, which is normally evenings.

I mean he has access to the dry stuff, I'm not going to let him starve. But look, nighty night time is nighty night time and eating time is eating time. He doesn't get fed at nighty night time.

Most cats you can leave food out for, others you can't, they just sit there and eat and get huge.

Automatic feeder. Our cat is timed.

^This

My cat was so anxious for food that every time I moved towards the kitchen I was tripping over him because he thought maybe I was gonna put some more food out. The feeder solved all that because I am no longer associated with the dispensing of food. Just don't be between him and the bowl when the sucker goes off or he'll knock you over. I also learned how keen a sense of hearing the little guy has. He can hear that thing from out in the back yard with all the doors and windows closed, dart all the way around the house, through the two pet doors and garage and into the kitchen before it finishes dispensing the meal.

Any Korean restaurants nearby?

Yes, but they are to busy enjoying doing your wife in the butt.

Hahaha!!! Would never have thought that was funny until you said it would be...

Last edited:
Back