Well that's embarassing

Umm, what?!?!?!?!?

“For some reason the A350 decided that our 11,000-foot runway was too short to support the takeoff, and the plane applied the brakes at full force — all on its own,” writes Honig.

All on its own? WTF?

Is this the Pilot in Command?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 56
What if it was right? What did they do during the two hour delay?

Maybe unloaded some Emirate's gold bars :rolleyes:

From the sounds of it, there was a database glitch on the runway, and it wasn't making performance gradient. The had to switch to a "less glitchy runway" after the mandatory inspection. No problem on that runway.

You can't build something this complex without building in an error or two, you just try to keep them small.

What if it was right? What did they do during the two hour delay?

Had cocktails from my understanding.:lol: Isn't there typically a mandatory gear inspection after one of the maximum braking events? I would figure as new as it is they would want to have a peak anyway. I think they figured out the trigger early.

I assume runway length data is entered into the flight management system prior to takeoff?

I assume runway length data is entered into the flight management system prior to takeoff?

I'm guessing maybe it's a database tied to GPS and the plane actually knows which runway it's on with no input from the pilots.

I'd guess intersection takeoff...my thought wasd maybe the computer thought it had traveled 3000' when it had only traveled 1000' or something of the sort...

No **** huh?:lol: At least that's all it was. If you can design a machine this complex, and keep the teething pains this benign, you're doing very well. On a FB tread some one mentioned "Boeings don't do that" I responded, "No, new Boeings had batteries catch on fire and ground the fleet."

As long as you don't get people hurt and fix the problem, no harm no foul.

I thought I saw chevrons on the runway surface. If I know what I'm looking at then I don't think it would be an intersection departure.

From the sounds of it, there was a database glitch on the runway, and it wasn't making performance gradient. The had to switch to a "less glitchy runway" after the mandatory inspection. No problem on that runway.

That didn't happen.

Umm, what?!?!?!?!?

All on its own? WTF?

Is this the Pilot in Command?

"Vr, rotate!"

"I'm sorry Capt Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

Last edited:
Apparently Qatar has a little problem with computing runway lengths......
15-SEP-15 20:31:00Z QTR778 MIAMI FLORIDA BOEING/777 ACCIDENT SUBSTANTIAL 0 QATAR AIRWAYS FLIGHT QTR778 BOEING 777 AIRCRAFT ON TAKEOFF STRUCK THE APPROACH LIGHTING SYSTEM RUNWAY LIGHTS, CONTINUED TO DESTINATION AND LANDED WITHOUT INCIDENT, INSPECTION REVEALED DAMAGE TO UNDERBELLY OF AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED AS SUBSTANTIAL, MIAMI, FL

I'm guessing maybe it's a database tied to GPS and the plane actually knows which runway it's on with no input from the pilots.
The departure runway is selected in the FMS as part of the FMS initialization process.

If I remember that story right, they were fully loaded and made an intersection departure:eek:
That happens all the time. Almost all departures from EWR, and most from ORD, for example, are intersection departures. It's very common.

What happened, as I understand it, is that there was a small change in the available length of the runway due to some construction at the approach-end. This was indicated in the performance data with a code to distinguish it from data for the normal distance for that runway. Unfortunately, the code used was similar to an intersection name much farther down the runway and the crew made the mistake of thinking that the data was for a departure from that intersection.

Back