Flying verses a typical job

A safe, smooth flight is a bigger deal than most people realize.

And here I was doing it all wrong for years. I was shooting for an unsafe rough flight every time I went up.

Man, I'm sure glad you mentioned that. LOL

Or trying to :stirpot:, which isn't unheard of on POA.

Yeah, that'd be my guess. There seem to be a couple of guys on here that love to run their mouths when someone brings up the profession - airlines or otherwise.

Questions like this always remind me of an old "Dear Abby" column that went something along the lines of "how old would I be if I don't do it" (I looked to see if I could find a link but I couldn't). The idea behind the advice was to pursue your dreams at any age.

Yes there is the college loans you have to consider - but my advice is to pursue this passion and see where it takes you. Because if you don't, you'll always be left with "I wonder what would have happened?"

You guys are great.... Look at how butt hurt and all fired up you get when someone points out the obvious.

Get in, push button, plane flies itself, get out, go to crash pad and wait for the next bus ride.

Boys, I don't need your creds to point out facts. Understand why your panties get icky when I say big iron pilots are bus drivers. I do. You even get to wear cool ID cards on lanyards. Uber cool, right? It's insulting to your job you take offense to. Or, a lack of appreciation. No different than if I tell an architect his bldg looks effin uglier than a witches left butt cheek. Is your work product.

But the facts are the same. You drive a machine around with sardines in the cargo hold from place to place. It's not a trip to the moon, nor is it blowing up terrorist in a foreign land. The "pilot" is a systems manager from take off to landing.

That's my opinion, not yours. Like it or not, I stand by it.

You can stand by it you like. Doesn't make it valid.

I've driven a bus. I flown a plane. Trust me, flying a plane is better.

Oh hush up, you glorified ambulance driver!

:D

Yeah but an ambulance doesn't have smok'in hot flight nurses like we have. That alone is worth being an "ambulance driver" in the sky!:D

You guys are great.... Look at how butt hurt and all fired up you get when someone points out the obvious.

You even get to wear cool ID cards on lanyards.

No, not butt hurt pal. I guess you're just one of those clowns who likes to get his rocks off trying to 'butt hurt' people on web boards. Whatever thrills you.

As for the IDs displayed, it's required to access the ramp area and has to be displayed at all times. Pilots, mechanics, contractors, ramp workers, FAA Inspectors, Flight Attendants (I know, you still call them stewardesses right?) can all be fined, and the Company one works for, by the FAA and/or TSA for not complying.

Yeah but an ambulance doesn't have smok'in hot flight nurses like we have. That alone is worth being an "ambulance driver" in the sky!:D

So ummm....are you guys accepting resumés? :lol:

My parents both worked for United and my dad knew the Captain of UA232 which crash landed in Sioux City. I am sure everyone on that plane was glad to not have a bus driver up front. I missed being on that flight by a couple days. The guys up front are in no way "bus drivers"
I've got a picture with Al Haynes. Nice guy.

And here I was doing it all wrong for years. I was shooting for an unsafe rough flight every time I went up.

Man, I'm sure glad you mentioned that. LOL

:) I only rough it up for the pax who are late.

So ummm....are you guys accepting resumés? :lol:

Oh you'd probably have to take a substantial pay cut but yes, there's always openings in air ambulance. I make no guarantees that you'd get "super model" flight nurses on your crew but believe me, they're out there.:yes:

Oh you'd probably have to take a substantial pay cut but yes, there's always openings in air ambulance. I make no guarantees that you'd get "super model" flight nurses on your crew but believe me, they're out there.:yes:

We don't have a single female at my base, though there are a few hotties in our company, though I think every female I've met in the company is married or in a multi year relationship.

We don't have a single female at my base, though there are a few hotties in our company, though I think every female I've met in the company is married or in a multi year relationship.

Yep, seen the same. They're all married or in long term relationships.

Man....tough crowd. And to answer your question about my job, well, I collect cans. Bottles if I can't find enough cans for a tank of gas and a 7 layer burrito. But mostly cans.

It's a long story how I ended up with three degrees, but I did it in 4 years. For me, the most expensive part of college is living expenses because I've had scholarships almost the whole time. And since it was still 4 years of school, it wasn't any more expensive than it would have been otherwise. And I worked full time throughout college, which is how I paid for my license.

Wait! You worked full time and got your ppl instead of PAYING FOR COLLEGE!?? Allllllrightythen!

Flight Attendants (I know, you still call them stewardesses right?)

No, shouldn't they just be waiters/waitresses by his logic?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

It's disappointing the bashing that goes on here sometimes. I always find it hilarious when guys with a private certificate and a few hundred hours think they are gods gift to aviation and have all the answers. If you're reading this and have the urge to be argumentative or get into a debate about what I'm saying, I'm probably talking to you. Why can't we keep the forum a fun constructive place for pilots to shoot the ****?

It's disappointing the bashing that goes on here sometimes. I always find it hilarious when guys with a private certificate and a few hundred hours think they are gods gift to aviation and have all the answers. If you're reading this and have the urge to be argumentative or get into a debate about what I'm saying, I'm probably talking to you. Why can't we keep the forum a fun constructive place for pilots to shoot the ****?

Unfortunately it's fashionable to be a curmudgeon these days. I may be a curmudgeon, but I try to resist bashing other people's career and life choices, and the way they choose to spend their money.

Last edited:
If you're a curmudgeon, you need to try a little harder! :goofy:
OK, lets just say I'm in the curmudgeon age group. :rofl:

Now get off my lawn! Um, I mean weeds....

Last edited:
My experience may not be applicable to yours but I'll offer it for another data point. I graduated from college with a degree in engineering at a time when my specialty was in high demand. I took a good paying job with a utility and worked on my flying on the side. Over time, I changed careers multiple times and pursued other interests including sailing around the Pacific in a small boat. Along the way I got my CPL and my IR and briefly considered transitioning to an aviation career. At that point in my life I owned a plane and all of the aviation jobs I was qualified for payed considerably less than what I was making as an engineer. I chose to expand my pleasure flying and to pay for it from the money I made in my chosen career. 45 years later I'm still flying my own plane (my 4th one) and I'm loving every minute I spend aloft. I've never had the frustrations from flying that have come along with each of the many jobs I've had. I've worked for 6 different employers in 8 different locations (including my current gig as a self employed contractor) and I've loved the technical aspects of each job, but office politics, the chain of command and the working environment inevitably create friction in any workplace. Working for myself creates is own set of challenges. I no longrr have challenges withoffice politics, but maintaining a reasonable workload is tough. You never know how many c contact awards you will win, so I'm always looking for my next project. That means periods of no work, and periods of too much work resulting in 60-80 hour work weeks. Even with an enjoyable line of work, I've had long periods of intense frustration and stress at work. Flying for pleasure meant I never had any of those issues with aviation so it has remained a happy oasis in my life and that is the way I like it. Each person's experience and options will be different, but I'm very happy with the role aviation has played in my lifelife, and wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited:
Flying commercial airlines, in my world, you are little more than a bus driver in 3D.
"In my world..." Ha. I doubt your job is that exciting. It never is...

It seems that the people who have to denigrate others' choices, have either a low self worth, or an over-inflated self worth. But I may be wrong, you may have the most interesting job in the world, but somehow, I think I might be mistaken...

OK, lets just say I'm in the curmudgeon age group. :rofl:

Now get off my lawn! Um, I mean weeds....

Yep, curmudgeons are usually older folks (I'm in range as well) but I think many on here who might appear to be curmudgeons by the way they act are actually just obnoxious punks.

Listen, flying for an airline is a job. Just like any other. There are good things about it, and there are tedious things about it. It is what it is. Are there days when I enjoy what I do? Sure! Are there other days when I think... man, I really don't feel like going to work? Absolutely.

Am I gone a lot? Yes. Am I home a lot? Yes.

Face it. The only difference between what I fly for work and what you guys fly for fun is altitude, speed and distance. It is, at its essence, the same. Basically, I"m on a 8,000 mile $100 hamburger... except I get paid to do it. The same wonder and fun everyone gets out of hopping in their plane and traveling the 75 miles to a great airport breakfast place (Millville, NJ-MIV) is the same fun I get out of leaving Hong Kong and getting dinner in Paris. It's flying...

Just like the IT professionals, programmers, lawyers, construction workers, whatever here do their job to make money to feed their flying habit, I use my airline money to be able to fly my little airplane with my son and have fun.

Different strokes...

the airline bashing on this forum cracks me up every time. On one thread people are saying never get a college education in aviation go get a different degree then come to flying, and suddenly in here some are saying you didn't do anything in college with aviation now you want to go flying? the inconsistencies crack me up.

that being said

i love my job as an airline pilot, i would be miserable sitting at a desk working every 5 days a week. at least like this when I'm off my job stays at work and i can do whatever i want on my off days, and i love flying planes, so making a living as an airline pilot is great. I love it. Until I can find another job that gives me 15 days off a month, my off time as truly my time no strings attached, and flying planes (i fly planes in my off time so may as well get paid to fly it in my on time) I don't think I shall be finding another career. I love it.

If you are interested at this point I would say get a job in your field while you learn to fly that way you start to gain experience in your degree field and fly at the same time once you get close to the hours required to make a career out of it then assess if you want to switch to it as a career. you'll have a better understanding by then.

I'm actually a political science and business major and am a junior in college and I just got my instrument rating, so you and I are pretty similar in a lot of ways OP!
Sorry for all the pointless hate you've gotten in this thread.
Personally, I don't wanna fly for the airlines, because from what I've seen and learned is the road to go there is long and tedious, and I'd rather stick to the business world and keep my aviation hobby just that, a hobby.

Though I will say something people have yet to mention is that you can make some of that investment back as a CFI. You only have your IFR, CPL and CFII ratings left, a >$30k or so investment if you find the right schools or get your own plane, and then you can start making money as a CFI on the side. It's not a lot, but I know people who have paid off their training after a couple of years as CFI's, and you may get lucky and meet someone who gives you a great opportunity flying corporate.

Some corporate companies take on pilots with as little as 700 or 800 hours, which you can easily get in two years as a CFI, and make some money too. Not a bad option to consider.

Ifly international for one of the majors. After 20 years I still enjoy my job. Don't let the airline bashers dissuade you.
Most people will tell those looking to get into aviation to get a degree in something other than aviation, you did that so good on you.
If I was in your place I'd strongly suggest looking at the military route, especially check into the Guard.

Am I the only person around here who finds this post awesome, considering who wrote it, and how this thread progressed? :dunno:

Re: Flying versus a typical job

I learned to fly at the age of 46. If I had known how much I was going to like it, I would have started much sooner. I've never flown professionally, but one thing I have noticed is that the more I strive for excellence in my flying, the more I enjoy it. If you are the same way, then I suspect you would find professional flying very fulfilling, in spite of the occasional frustrations that go along with any job.

Last edited:
I have not read the entire thread. Are there people here ragging on a major airline job? If so, have they actually ever had a job at a major?

Re: Flying versus a typical job

I have not read the entire thread. Are there people here ragging on a major airline job? If so, have they actually ever had a job at a major?

Yes and no, in that order.

Sooner or later, everyone gets ragged on around here. It's human nature, I guess.

Last edited:
the airline bashing on this forum cracks me up every time. On one thread people are saying never get a college education in aviation go get a different degree then come to flying, and suddenly in here some are saying you didn't do anything in college with aviation now you want to go flying? the inconsistencies crack me up.

that being said

i love my job as an airline pilot, i would be miserable sitting at a desk working every 5 days a week. at least like this when I'm off my job stays at work and i can do whatever i want on my off days, and i love flying planes, so making a living as an airline pilot is great. I love it. Until I can find another job that gives me 15 days off a month, my off time as truly my time no strings attached, and flying planes (i fly planes in my off time so may as well get paid to fly it in my on time) I don't think I shall be finding another career. I love it.

If you are interested at this point I would say get a job in your field while you learn to fly that way you start to gain experience in your degree field and fly at the same time once you get close to the hours required to make a career out of it then assess if you want to switch to it as a career. you'll have a better understanding by then.

+1. I'm planning on majoring in meteorology w/flight or aerospace. Couldn't sit through college without flying, and definitely couldn't sit at a desk 9-5 everyday.

Just to clarify, I already have my PPL. Just hit the "milestone" of 50 hours total time the other night.

You obviously have the ability to work hard and stay focused. One doesn't graduate from college having mastered three areas of study, work while in school, and obtain a pilot's license unless they have exceptional talents.

Maybe you could become employed in the financial world to pay the bills. With your drive advancement should come regularly. Try to find a job with a firm that has an aviation tie in.

Continue your flight training. You need more hours and ratings to get a flying job, so do what you can to get them.

Reassess your goals every six months. Keep an open mind.

So far you're doing a great job of personal growth.

Last edited:
Because it's more glamorous to kill folks you don't even know for some senators special interests, just to pay for free college?

I can get job as a bus driver with no experience, never touched a bus, right now, best of luck just walking into a flying level job without ever touching a aircraft.

I'm not a airline guy, but if you think that's all I do as a working pilot you haven't a clue.

So, you already have your commercial driver's license with the passenger carrying endorsement?

+1. I'm planning on majoring in meteorology w/flight or aerospace. Couldn't sit through college without flying, and definitely couldn't sit at a desk 9-5 everyday.

More like 8-5:30, plus the occasional evening or weekend.

Yep, there are a few folks on this thread as well as on other threads that love to rip airline jobs and airline pilots. Personally if I were to get off my butt and get my commercial & instrument, an airline job would probably be the last type of professional flying job that I would seek. But that isn't because there is anything wrong with airlines jobs per se but it is just not what I want to do. For one reason, I have spent far too many nights in hotels already in my life and I do not want to do it anymore. Now, if I was guaranteed to fly only same day out and backs from my home airport then perhaps I would change my mind. As others say, it is about QOL and we all define that differently. That is probably basically how some of the posters feel as well but rather than expressing it that way, they would rather just bash airlines and airline pilots for some reason; probably for sport.

Back