Foreflight upped the price?

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
When SV as released, I renewed last dec and it was $175 for Pro. Just went to look at my subscription and it's now $200. So in a year, FF has gone up $50 or 30%.

A bit steep guys. I'm evaluating whether or not I really need Pro now. :nonod:

Apparently according to their website, they just added a Logbook... haven't played with it yet, but that value (if it's well done) might be worth this year's higher price...

When SV as released, I renewed last dec and it was $175 for Pro. Just went to look at my subscription and it's now $200. So in a year, FF has gone up $50 or 30%.

They added a Logbook Id been researching electronic logbooks and I love FF so for me it was an easy choice.

must be recent. I renewed about 30 days ago for $179 with pro and SV.

I guess I'm ok skool. I prefer my paper logs. It's tangable. I didn't see where they added that though.

I want both, paper is controlling, but nice to see currency stuff calculated on a screen... but I stopped paying that dude who made LogTen Pro back when he screwed original buyers on the switch to a subscription model, and then had to back-track and change it again. You mess with me as one of the original purchasers of your product... I don't send any more money. (Here's looking at him, and Brightline...)

Now we see what the pain level is to get all the danged data over into FF's log... screenshots almost look like they contracted it to that guy -- which is fine if they did. Looks quite similar in some ways. I don't care if how he makes his money comes through FF... but I wasn't sending him another dime.

If you like you Foreflight plan you can keep your Foreflight plan...

but in this case you really can. They bundled everything into ProPlus for the $199...but click the "build your own package" or something like that at the bottom of the page and original options are still there.

Personally love the new bundle as I was looking for a new digital logbook option. Already upgraded and working on my logbook transfer now.

See other current thread:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88470

Last edited:
Just came across the other thread. No need to keep this one going. Not sure why it was put in hangar talk though.....

I use PilotPro for my logbook and can't see switching to FF until I see some real world reviews. PilotPro does exactly what I need and is clean and simple.

Love the software but price is getting pretty high. I don't need a log book since I already have paper and digital and now I have to pay 25 bucks more than pro plus syn vis?....

Someone else needs to get something going that is as good and give them some real competition.

I'd leave mine as is but they'll gouge me when I have to renew.

Ya know, i remember when (not too long ago) a portable cockpit device cost $1500+ and the software (Jepp) cost at least another $500. Now you can get a multifunction ipad for $400 and add Foreflight with all it's charts (VFR and IFR, weather,map, GPS, etc... for $200 or less. Not so steep I think........

Just sayin'

Kevin

You're kidding, right?

They have lots of competition.

FlyQ, WingX, I think there's s couple of others.

No, that's wasn't a joke. They have nowhere near the market share, usability or features. Fore flight is becoming the premier software and knows it. Price reflects this. I still use it because it is better and I feel nobody has something as intuitive although garmin and wingx are close behind in my opinion.

Last edited:
Ya know, i remember when (not too long ago) a portable cockpit device cost $1500+ and the software (Jepp) cost at least another $500. Now you can get a multifunction ipad for $400 and add Foreflight with all it's charts (VFR and IFR, weather,map, GPS, etc... for $200 or less. Not so steep I think........

Just sayin'

Kevin

Just sayin, but that's not the whole story. You also need a Stratus 2S for a paltry $920 to you door to use the features.

Not following your math. Looks like $25 and 14% to me.

Just sayin, but that's not the whole story. You also need a Stratus 2S for a paltry $920 to you door to use the features.

You only need the stratus for the SV, but if you have a standalone GPS unit or a 3G/4G IPAD, you will be good to go for all the features except SV.

All, you can still get the old Pro package for $149 and add on SV for $25.

That plan is still available.

...., usability or features. Fore flight is becoming the premier software and knows it. Price reflects this. .

Have to call BULL on that, they saw an opportunity to drag a few more dollars out of your wallet, so they took the opportunity and are laughing all the way to the bank - FF is not the only game in town thank god, nor do they have a lock on "usability or features."

Bummer I renewed before the price increase. No bueno! May revert back to Avare in the future which is free.

You should get WingX.

I can't speak for anyone else, but if Hilton wants me to buy WingX, they should spend some time giving it a user interface that doesn't look like they barfed it out all over the screen in five minutes. It hurts just looking at the web site.

MyFlightbook.com (although I donate $20 a year) is free and my data is already there....

Foreflight has a great product, but their prices have gone up pretty consistently, if they aren't careful they will start losing people...

I can't speak for anyone else, but if Hilton wants me to buy WingX, they should spend some time giving it a user interface that doesn't look like they barfed it out all over the screen in five minutes. It hurts just looking at the web site.

I'm still waiting for my free CFI subscription so that i can look at the software. I would be more motivated if I actually had a student that used the software.

Am I looking at this right? It was $175 + has gone up $50 = it's now $200
Must be the new Common Core Standards :dunno:

No, that's wasn't a joke. They have nowhere near the market share, usability or features. Fore flight is becoming the premier software and knows it. Price reflects this. I still use it because it is better and I feel nobody has something as intuitive although garmin and wingx are close behind in my opinion.
I prefer the usability and many features in Garmin pilot. Many of us use and prefer it instead. Your sample of one isn't representative of the entire demographic.

Agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Autorenew and you can keep your old plan, even though they don't offer it to new customers. For me the price of keeping my old pro plan is remaining the same, despite the jacked up price for the new plans.

Have to call BULL on that, they saw an opportunity to drag a few more dollars out of your wallet, so they took the opportunity and are laughing all the way to the bank - FF is not the only game in town thank god, nor do they have a lock on "usability or features."

I have to call BULL on your BULL :D

First, unless someone is robbing you, no one is dragging money out of your wallet. It's a highly competitive private market so if you don't like you don't buy obviously, but no one is coercing you.

Second, as was mentioned above, you can still choose the exact same old plans (customized) for the same prices. The Pro Plus plan is NOT apples:apples with the Pro plan. It just bundles in the log book so it has more stuff and that is their justification for adding $20 to the price. You can still opt for Pro (or other customized plan) for the old price if you want.

At least that's my understanding.

Last edited:
You only need the stratus for the SV, but if you have a standalone GPS unit or a 3G/4G IPAD, you will be good to go for all the features except SV.

I'm not sure that's correct. With the Stratus box you get AHRS, pressure altitude sensor, WAAS GPS, subscription-free nexrad radar/weather, METARS, TAFs, NOTAMs and AIRMETs/SIGMETS via ADSB, automatic flight track recording, and some traffic. I'm probably missing some things too...

I don't believe you get any of that with a standalone ipad. Some of it you can get via a cellular connection but that's not always available while airborne and definitely not available if the ipad doesn't have a cellular connection.

I kind of find it funny that anyone complains about the price. For me, it's about 3 hours' of fuel.. that's NOTHING. For what you get, Foreflight is one of the cheapest things out there and a great value. And as mentioned, you can still get the "old" package for $150.

It is. It's called the method of the first and last 10's:
First you take the last digit, last you multiply by 10x the first digit:
From 175 we get 5*(1*10) = 50.

Now 175 has three digits, so you multiply 50 by 3+1 and you get 200!

Yea... You are supposed to interpolate the difference. No matter how you get there, you are right!!:lol:

What I meant was Pro was 150, then SV was upped 175 last dec and now really really Pro is 200. :no:

Yea... You are supposed to interpolate the difference. No matter how you get there, you are right!!:lol:

What I meant was Pro was 150, then SV was upped 175 last dec and now really really Pro is 200. :no:

If you want Pro + SV it's still $175 (go to the build your own plan link). If you also want to add Logbook to your Pro + SV you*should get Pro Plus (includes Logbook + SV) for $200. If you really want Pro + only Logbook, you can get just that under the build your own plan link, or you may as well choose Pro Plus for the same price to get SV as well.

I kind of find it funny that anyone complains about the price. For me, it's about 3 hours' of fuel.. that's NOTHING. For what you get, Foreflight is one of the cheapest things out there and a great value. And as mentioned, you can still get the "old" package for $150.

I'd find it funny too, if I hadn't come to the conclusion over the years that pilots are some of the cheapest dudes out there.

I remember what it used to cost to update paper sectionals, IFR charts, and approach plates every cycle. My Garmin 196 was hundreds per year to upgrade and it wasn't really much more than a basic GPS.

For $175 total a year, Foreflight can take my money!

I'm thinking about switching to Garmin Pilot. I'm tired of apple and want to ditch my iphone and ipad for faster and less expensive android stuff.

I'm thinking about switching to Garmin Pilot. I'm tired of apple and want to ditch my iphone and ipad for faster and less expensive android stuff.

Garmin pilot on the android isn't the same as on Apple, make sure you know what you are getting into...

I played with Foreflight's SV and found it to be cool, but fairly useless for 99% of the flying I do so I don't plan on renewing it.

Which can be problematic. Foreflight has this automatic renewal thing, so unless you cancel your credit card prior to the renewal date, you get charged automatically. I don't like that.

EDIT

Just to be clear, I plan on renewing Foreflight, just not SV.

Last edited:
FF is one of the best bargains in all of aviation for what you get. And yes, they are keeping their original plans as options.

$200 = bundle price

$50 = a la carte price for logbook

It's not common core, it's reading comprehension! :D

Back