Question about a few Maine airports

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
I live in NJ and am considering doing some flying to either Sunday River or Sugarloaf in Maine for skiing. Does anyone have experience with either Bethel Regional (0B7), or Sugarloaf Regional (B21). Both are very near the ski places and would take a 10 hour trip for me down to about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I noticed neither have IFR procedures, so that could make things a little tricky, but any other input on the facilities, etc? The trip would be made in a Saratoga SP.

Not familiar with those specific airports, but I wouldn't worry too much about a lack of IAPs.

Since you are talking about going to ski places, that means winter and in Maine that means likely ice in the clouds. If weather isn't VFR, you probably aren't going in a PA32.

FWIW, there is no FBO listed for Sugarloaf so I suspect you may find better services at Bethel.

Bethel is a nice airport. Cheap fuel, too. Nice little FBO office, but not sure anyone mans the place. Completely self-serve from what I've seen. Nice big ramp to park on.

It's been 35+ yrs since I've flown into either. I'm sure someone will be along with current information.

We used to be able to get the ski operator to pick up at the airport in Carrabasset, Sugerloaf. It was a great fly in for fall foliage trips up the ski lift.

No IAP to either, with the hills in the area and a long way to navaids the mda would be VFR high anyway. Even with the advent of GPS, there has not been enough traffic to create a demand for a GPS approach.

I remember that Carrabasset follows the valley and stream to get in and out.

Bethel is a nice airport. Cheap fuel, too. Nice little FBO office, but not sure anyone mans the place. Completely self-serve from what I've seen. Nice big ramp to park on.

Yep, I was there this past summer. There's plenty of terrain around the airport so it doesn't surprise me that there's no approaches. Boston center coverage was spotty until you get up high (>5k IIRC) as well. I recall seeing some information about shuttles to ski areas when I was researching the airport on line. Google it and see what you come up with.

I live in NJ and am considering doing some flying to either Sunday River or Sugarloaf in Maine for skiing. Does anyone have experience with either Bethel Regional (0B7), or Sugarloaf Regional (B21). Both are very near the ski places and would take a 10 hour trip for me down to about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I noticed neither have IFR procedures, so that could make things a little tricky, but any other input on the facilities, etc? The trip would be made in a Saratoga SP.

I am the deputy manager for Bethel Airport (0B1). The airport is unattended and is set up for self-serve operations. We charge no fees and typically have the best price in he northeast for 100LL.

There is a taxi/shuttle that takes people anywhere from the airport, including to the mountain. With prior arrangements they will meet you on the ramp when you land. The new terminal building is open 24/7 and has wifi and computerized weather and free phone as well as rest area and vending machines.

The runway lights are NON-STANDARD LOW INTENSITY, which are not very useful for approaches. The terrain is not yet illuminated and there is no aerodrome beacon. We have been approved for upgrades over the next few years for standard lighting, rotating beacon, and an RNAV (GPS) RWY 32 with LPV minimums. The runway lights are okay for night time departures, but are dim.

Technically the airport is approved for day-VFR use operations, but pilots can land or takeoff anytime at their own risk. Most pilots only operate at Bethel at night or in IMC if they are familiar with the area. In IMC or night ops, most depart RWY 14 to avoid the mountains and turn to the south and climb to at least 4000 before proceeding on course. Portland Approach provides radar services for Bethel and their minimum vectoring altitude is generally between 3500 and 4000 MSL to the south and east. To the west and north, the minimums are significantly higher.

For more information, visit: www.bethelregionalairport.com

That was an excellent post by Tony.

Back in my Jersey days, ie until 2004, Sunday River was my favorite eastern ski area. Great terrain amd facilities without nearly the crowds of many other resorts. Flew into Bethel many times and caught the shuttle to the mountain; it's only a few minutes ride.

The trick is to leave wiggle room in your travel plans. Don't make non-cancelable reservations two weeks in advance. I would wait until maybe a day or two in advance in deciding to go. If you don't have a lot of flexibility, reserve a back-up car at PWM and go there if you can't make Bethel.

Great ski conditions go along with lousy flying weather. Flexbility is the key.
Jon

Back