My Attempt at a $115 ADS-B Receiver Build for Foreflight

I don't believe it picks up the TIS-b info, just the output of Mode S transponders wit ES operating on 1090. So you'll see aircraft that are transmitting position data but not the ground feed that TIS provides.

I saw myself show up on FF very briefly on the last flight, I have no ADSB, so I can only assume I picked this up from a radar relay?

I saw myself show up on FF very briefly on the last flight, I have no ADSB, so I can only assume I picked this up from a radar relay?

Using FLYQ, I too got the ghost image of my own aircraft without having adsb out capability. Got to be the rebroadcast from the ground station. I just saw that supplying your aircraft hexadecimal code ( from the FAA registry) to your stratux should eliminate the ghost.

Probably. May have been some aircraft nearby that had ADSB-OUT which will cause the ground station to transmit position of others on radar.

If you're worried about fire make sure whatever case you make will fit out of the side window. I would keep it on the dash chances are thats the only place it will get a good signal anyway.

Actually, it worked well the place I had it suspended in baggage where there are plexiglass windows on either side. I did not count towers however.

Actually, it worked well the place I had it suspended in baggage where there are plexiglass windows on either side. I did not count towers however.

That's really good I have a hard time in the cherokee getting a good signal anywhere but the dash with the real stratus.

Use your browser, go to 192.168.10.1 then select settings from the menu

I may not always be 192.168.10.1. Mine showed up on 192.168.13.1
I had to log into my router to see where it was.

I've got my build ready to go. Running one antenna right now on 978. Test flight on Sunday. Second Antenna with USB extenders on order. I like the idea of the large box build.

I'm ready to build mine, however, mine has to be done in a portable box as I'm in and out of several airplanes a day.

Any suggestions on boxes?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I'm ready to build mine, however, mine has to be done in a portable box as I'm in and out of several airplanes a day.

Any suggestions on boxes?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I mounted mine on a piece of plastic the battery is separate but it's totally portable and with my fancy velvet dash a simple piece of Velcro keeps it from sliding

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 70
So correct me if I am wrong, 1090es, under a major waypoint for Ohare approach, I should be seeing something? Flightaware shows quite a few planes within a mile or two at any given time. Any place I should look in the log files to make sure it is receiving correctly. On the webpage,it is all green. Just no data being received.

So correct me if I am wrong, 1090es, under a major waypoint for Ohare approach, I should be seeing something? Flightaware shows quite a few planes within a mile or two at any given time. Any place I should look in the log files to make sure it is receiving correctly. On the webpage,it is all green. Just no data being received.

Yes, you should see traffic but you will need to activate the 1090 Receiver on the Settings Page. At my location inside the house and with short antennas I can see 1090ES traffic out to about 70 nm.

To see the logs, enter the IP address with /logs (i.e. 192.168.10.1/logs) in your browser and open the stratux.log file. If it is working correctly you should see something like the following in the log file:

(Example Stratux Version 0.5b1 with the GPS / AHRS, 1090ES, and 978UAT)
2015/11/28 08:41:15 Entered ES read() ...
2015/11/28 08:41:15 Entered UAT read() ...
2015/11/28 08:41:15 Executed /usr/bin/dump1090 successfully... 2015/11/28 09:55:24 stats [up since: 1 hour ago] 2015/11/28 09:55:24 - CPUTemp=36.86 deg C, MemStats.Alloc=1.5 MB, MemStats.Sys=5.4 MB, totalNetworkMessagesSent=25
2015/11/28 09:55:24 - UAT/min 0/0 [maxSS=0.00%], ES/min 201/201 , Total traffic targets tracked=12
(With GPS turned on)
2015/11/28 09:56:04 Using /dev/ttyAMA0 for GPS
2015/11/28 09:56:07 wrote settings.
2015/11/28 09:56:24 stats [up since: 1 hour ago]
2015/11/28 09:56:24 - CPUTemp=39.01 deg C, MemStats.Alloc=1000 kB, MemStats.Sys=9.9 MB, totalNetworkMessagesSent=85
2015/11/28 09:56:24 - UAT/min 0/0 [maxSS=0.00%], ES/min 634/651 , Total traffic targets tracked=14
2015/11/28 09:56:24 - Last GPS fix: a long while ago, GPS solution type: 0, NACp: 0, est accuracy 0.00 m

The log file may be different with your Stratux version and hardware configuration.

Last edited:
Re: 192.168.10.1

I could not connect on that IP address. I logged into my router and found raspberry pi on

So if it does not come up right away, a little searching may be required.

Not sure what all was broken, but grabbed the latest build and that fixed 1090. Now just to get the GPS to be less crappy and pop it in a box

I'm ready to take the plunge and build one of these. I'm unfamiliar with the electronic assembly world. This thread has lots of good information but is hard to parse due to length.

Any succinct, most-current instructions?
Most-current recommended parts list?
Recommended boxes?

Any improvements to the parts list, instructions, or anything?

I want both radio bands.

Also, a friend talked about adding an accelerometer (like Bad Elf is doing) to generate synthetic vision. Is that feasible within the current scope?

Thank you.

I'm ready to take the plunge and build one of these. I'm unfamiliar with the electronic assembly world. This thread has lots of good information but is hard to parse due to length.

Any succinct, most-current instructions?
Most-current recommended parts list?
Recommended boxes?

Any improvements to the parts list, instructions, or anything?

I want both radio bands.

Also, a friend talked about adding an accelerometer (like Bad Elf is doing) to generate synthetic vision. Is that feasible within the current scope?

Thank you.

I got this from the Homebuilt Help people. YouTube video on building one.

http://youtu.be/0rEOJrw4ds8

Good place to start.

Cheers

Thank you, Geezer and Axtel4. I just ordered up everything - dual-band (two radios) and the GPS/AHRS system. Got an Anker 16AH battery, which could probably start the plane. And a 11CFM cooling fan. This is going to be great!

I use Foreflight on an iPad3 with no internal GPS or cell - currently use an external Dual GPS 150. Will I still need the Dual GPS?

I can't speak to Foreflight, but I use the GPS/AHRS as the primary GPS for my Android apps.

Thank you, Geezer and Axtel4. I just ordered up everything - dual-band (two radios) and the GPS/AHRS system. Got an Anker 16AH battery, which could probably start the plane. And a 11CFM cooling fan. This is going to be great!

I use Foreflight on an iPad3 with no internal GPS or cell - currently use an external Dual GPS 150. Will I still need the Dual GPS?

No -- Dual GPS will not be necessary as you'll have that input from the RY835AI in the Stratux. Have fun!

Geremy

This might be a good excuse for another CO-POA lunch or something. I'm an early builder - the problem I had was the loading the software. The Mac had problems, so I moved over to the Windows box - trivial solution. It really doesn't require any electronic expertise, just plugging in cables is all. A number of people here have included the GPS-AHRS chip without any problems. Takes tiny fingers or a needle-nose pliers to connect the 4-6 wires but that's about it. The wiring diagram is around here someplace, I also have it in my collection of things about this project.

PM me, there's a number of CO folks interested. We should have lunch.

Hi Murphey, I was hoping for a POA CO lunch to celebrate the monkey passing through our state, but we may be too late.

My parts are shipping from around the globe as we speak. May not get around to building it until closer to the holidays.

I've got two engineer friends, one who flies, as adult supervision. One's an experienced solderer/assembler. Not sure I have the instructions for including the GPS, yet. Also not sure what I'll end up using as a case, but not worried.

There's an FAAST WINGS seminar on Mountain Weather and Flying on 12/12 at Independence Aviation at KAPA. [FONT=&quot]https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event_details.aspx?eid=60128[/FONT]
Anyone going? Maybe lunch after that?

Hi Murphey, I was hoping for a POA CO lunch to celebrate the monkey passing through our state, but we may be too late.

My parts are shipping from around the globe as we speak. May not get around to building it until closer to the holidays.

I've got two engineer friends, one who flies, as adult supervision. One's an experienced solderer/assembler. Not sure I have the instructions for including the GPS, yet. Also not sure what I'll end up using as a case, but not worried.

There's an FAAST WINGS seminar on Mountain Weather and Flying on 12/12 at Independence Aviation at KAPA. [FONT=&quot]https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event_details.aspx?eid=60128[/FONT]
Anyone going? Maybe lunch after that?

What monkey is that?

If the Dual connects by Bluetooth you can stil use it. The latest modification to the Stratux is adding a GPS reciever which will make the dual not needed.

I have the Air2 wifi only, so I use the Bad Elf Pro+ with Bluetooth.

Follow the designers recommendations for the Raspberry Pi2 startup kit from Amazon, it has the proper WiFi nano USB transmitter for the software.

I'm running version 0.4r4 , use the latest completed version, not a beta version of Stratux software. You can always move up after the beta bugs are worked out.

The software designer now has the software as an image file, so it's just one install to disk image the sd card. Easy peasy.

Stratux.me is the web site.

One lesson learned with the RY835AI for me. When you add the headers, have them hanging out below, solder from the top, where the top is the white chip. I did the reverse, and mounting it in a case will be a PITA. I will probably end up shortening them, then soldering the wires to the header directly to correct. Desoldering the header at this point will probably cook the circuit board.

Soldering was fairly easy, assuming you have three hands (solder, iron, magnifying glass).

I am using a small one that looks about the same, perhaps a previous iteration from NooElec of the same size, and it works fine on the ground to show the airliners around me at 1090, but have only once used it in the air (and it seemed OK).
Could never figure out why people were using the big ones; unless they are ultra sensitive, I'd go for small.

Attachments

• 20151203_203212.jpg
    20151203_203212.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I am using a small one that looks about the same, perhaps a previous iteration from NooElec of the same size, and it works fine on the ground to show the airliners around me at 1090, but have only once used it in the air (and it seemed OK).
Could never figure out why people were using the big ones; unless they are ultra sensitive, I'd go for small.

I think when the project started, the larger versions were the only ones used by the developers for testing. The Stratux code has developed a lot of the last few months and is more flexible, probably explains why the smaller receiver works.

Just wish there was a better AHRS solution.

I think when the project started, the larger versions were the only ones used by the developers for testing. The Stratux code has developed a lot of the last few months and is more flexible, probably explains why the smaller receiver works.

Makes sense.
Regarding the AHRS, I think the problem is that for the same reason you mention of being stuck with an initial solution, they picked the wrong software approach for attitude sensing, skipping the chip manufacturer's onboard processing firmware (MPU-6050 DMP package). I tried it both ways (separately from this project), and discovered that the DMP firmware is vastly superior, smooth as silk and solid as a rock in all three axes, while the raw data precesses all over the place, esp. in yaw.
Regarding yaw drift, I had it sitting on my desk (with the DMP firmware) at the same spot, and it rotated exactly 360 degrees in 24 hrs, making me think it's either an amazing coincidence or I am seeing the earth's rotation!
Now I have discovered (again in other projects) open source software that is similar to the onboard firmware DMP package, and am using it for greater flexibility and control. Hopefully the stratux guys will be able to fix that yaw drift issue soon, one way or another.

Makes sense.
Regarding the AHRS, I think the problem is that for the same reason you mention of being stuck with an initial solution, they picked the wrong software approach for attitude sensing, skipping the chip manufacturer's onboard processing firmware (MPU-6050 DMP package). I tried it both ways (separately from this project), and discovered that the DMP firmware is vastly superior, smooth as silk and solid as a rock in all three axes, while the raw data precesses all over the place, esp. in yaw.
Regarding yaw drift, I had it sitting on my desk (with the DMP firmware) at the same spot, and it rotated exactly 360 degrees in 24 hrs, making me think it's either an amazing coincidence or I am seeing the earth's rotation!
Now I have discovered (again in other projects) open source software that is similar to the onboard firmware DMP package, and am using it for greater flexibility and control. Hopefully the stratux guys will be able to fix that yaw drift issue soon, one way or another.

Sounds like you have it all figured out, why not give them a hand.

Can someone give me a little advice? I tried to down load the latest release (0.4r4 stratux-v0.4r4-293d0e74a8-10222015.img.zip) and installed it on the SD card with Win32diskImager. When I try to run it nothing happens. I am assuming this release as the operating system and anything else I need to run but it doesn't look like it's running. What could I be doing wrong? I have never used a Raspberry before and my programming skills are only PLCs.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited:
Sorry wanted to attach a picture of the file I downloaded. (Bug Fixes) does the filesystem matter on the SD card mine is currently fat 32

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Have I missed any new developments?

Can someone give me a little advice? I tried to down load the latest release (0.4r4 stratux-v0.4r4-293d0e74a8-10222015.img.zip) and installed it on the SD card with Win32diskImager. When I try to run it nothing happens. I am assuming this release as the operating system and anything else I need to run but it doesn't look like it's running. What could I be doing wrong? I have never used a Raspberry before and my programming skills are only PLCs.

Thanks,
Bob

Did you unzip the file before loading it to the SD card ???. If so your unit will not boot up. Dont ask how I know. Unzip the file and load that file to the SD card.

Did you unzip the file before loading it to the SD card ???. If so your unit will not boot up. Dont ask how I know. Unzip the file and load that file to the SD card.

Vaflier, thanks for the info that was the problem, but now I feel stupid.

Thanks,
Again

Mine works great the only issue I have is the little WiFi icon on the upper left of my ipad or iphone never appears when connected... No big deal other than it would be nice if that worked.. Any ideas?

Back