Ugh, the speed bug hasn't stopped. Now the escape bug has hit...

BonanzaDriver

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BonanzaDriver
Is it bad that I am researching a lancair propjet, even though I know of the horrendous safety record?

Also, I am itching to go to Europe, which, if I do, I might as well go round the world solo :)

Now, what airplane should I buy?

(I swear, this has nothing to do with the fact that I got married 6 months ago)

Last edited:
A LOT of the Lancair's safety record MAY be attributable to the attitudes of the pilots. They've got a hugely capable airplane, they're successful enough to afford a high dollar plane, they can do anything, right? This may be incorrect, but the choices made on many of the accidents suggest it might have been better not to fly, or to alter the route. And I'm not saying the plane isn't a handful, and maybe unforgiving. But pushing it seems to contribute to smoking-hole-itus.

(Some of my bias here-or is it knowledge- comes from the fact that a close friend of mine has a Lancair IV... non P... that he bulit some years back. We've discussed the majority of the Lancair IV accident reports in depth, as we get together for dinner about twice a week when I am at home in Michigan....).

Is it bad that I am researching a lancair propjet, even though I know of the horrendous safety record?

Also, I am itching to go to Europe, which, if I do, I might as well go round the world solo :)

Now, what airplane should I buy?

(I swear, this has nothing to do with the fact that I got married 6 months ago)

The prop jet is a loser for that, no legs. Now, the Lanceair IVP with the new aluminum Mercedes deisel,:yes: :yes: :yes: That would be my girl for that trans Atlantic run. There's a drop tank I saw someone put on the propjet that would probably let you make it all the way to England, but you want to go to Iceland anyway.

Tell Me More I might be interested.

Lets see if this helps, I'm sure I'm forgetting something

91' F33A Bonanza, 1400TT 500hrs since new pistons/jugs (that was fun, paying for that right after I bought her)
07' new paint/interior
Gami Injectors
JPI Engine monitor
Shadin fuel flow
GNS 430
King coms
KFC-150 autopilot
Skywatch (once you fly with traffic awareness, you'll never go back)
Strikefinder
Xenon Landing light

The plane has been flown lean of peak since rebuild, CHT's in the 350 range- 12gph ~165 knots (with that fuel flow, my bladder runs out before the tanks do)

Anyway, she is located in Atlanta, asking $215K If someone can help me post pictures, I'll upload a few.

The Ravin 500 demo plane is for sale for $295K I think, with range of about 2000NM with the standard tanks, cruise about 200kts. This is essentially a new composit version of the Comanche, with all the speed mods built in. http://www.ravinaircraftusa.com/specs.html http://www.ravinaircraftusa.com/forsale.html

You need 2000NM for around the world, for the Maui to LA leg, unless you go up north through Siberia and Alaska. Or add a ferry tank from someone like TurtlePac, and mess with cabin mounted fuel. http://www.turtlepac.com/collapsibleair.htm

For about half that you could put a 200HP DeltaHawk DH200V4 diesel engine in front of the Foxtrot from Team Tango, and get over 2000NM with the standard tanks. This is also a fast airframe (200kts+ with a 300HP engine). No performance numbers are available with the DeltaHawk yet, but likely 160kts+. No demo available to buy so you would need to build it. 13 hours Maui to LA, instead of 10. This may be the better "all mission" choice, since it has adequate speed and range, but still cheap for the hamburger flights at 7GPH.

Both these are 4 seat planes, but with full fuel, extra survival equipment, (toilet?) and baggage you may be limited to 2 people.

Last edited:
The prop jet is a loser for that, no legs. Now, the Lanceair IVP with the new aluminum Mercedes deisel,:yes: :yes: :yes: That would be my girl for that trans Atlantic run. There's a drop tank I saw someone put on the propjet that would probably let you make it all the way to England, but you want to go to Iceland anyway.
How about going from N. America to the Azores. Warmer. Shorter than the leg from Maui to LA.

Lets see if this helps, I'm sure I'm forgetting something

91' F33A Bonanza, 1400TT 500hrs since new pistons/jugs (that was fun, paying for that right after I bought her)
07' new paint/interior
Gami Injectors
JPI Engine monitor
Shadin fuel flow
GNS 430
King coms
KFC-150 autopilot
Skywatch (once you fly with traffic awareness, you'll never go back)
Strikefinder
Xenon Landing light

The plane has been flown lean of peak since rebuild, CHT's in the 350 range- 12gph ~165 knots (with that fuel flow, my bladder runs out before the tanks do)

Anyway, she is located in Atlanta, asking $215K If someone can help me post pictures, I'll upload a few.

Sorry I would be single again if I spent that much on an airplane.

It does sound really nice.

Jon

Back