You won't freaking believe it!

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Not Gaston's related, but heading to Gastons, I looked at the Albuquerque sectional and saw something I hadn't see when I was living there....a BRAND NEW AIRPORT!!!

N17, Vaughn, NM. Brand new.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/N17

What do you think of that??

Just hope they never have a mayor by the last name of Daley!

Looks like a nice one, too.

Good on 'em!

You could always have your southwest FlyBQ there to celebrate. ;)

Now that right there is a good idea! :yes: Give it a little kick-start, and bring some business in.

The coolest part is that it's a city-owned airport. Can you imagine trying to convince a city council to drop a bunch of dough on something like an airport in most places these days? Especially since this is probably (like most of NM) a low-income area.

Very very very cool. :yes:

Interestingly enough, they are planning on building a 'reliever' airport northwest of Des Moines within the next couple of years. I'm not sure why DSM needs a reliever... :dunno: but they've done the land/DNR survey and actually had to move the site of the new "Dallas County Muni (I think)".

Interestingly enough, they are planning on building a 'reliever' airport northwest of Des Moines within the next couple of years. I'm not sure why DSM needs a reliever... :dunno: but they've done the land/DNR survey and actually had to move the site of the new "Dallas County Muni (I think)".
Are you talking about the "West Metro Regional"? One of the sites they proposed would have bordered my parents house. I figure a private taxiway to their house would be in order.

They really do need something on the west side where all the growth is. IKV is OK but not really convienent, flying into DSM is a pain, Winterset is too far away and has all those NORDO.

James Dean

Are you talking about the "West Metro Regional"? One of the sites they proposed would have bordered my parents house. I figure a private taxiway to their house would be in order.

Yeah.. I couldn't remember exactly what they were gonna call it. I just remember it being in Dallas County.

They really do need something on the west side where all the growth is. IKV is OK but not really convienent, flying into DSM is a pain, Winterset is too far away and has all those NORDO.

James Dean

I heard a few years ago they contemplated putting a tower at IKV and making it a Class D. Obviously that didn't pan out, though. That place seems like it's about as busy as DSM most evenings. DSM never really seems 'busy' to me, but I trained at MLI, so I'm used to medium sized 'C' traffic. DSM is in a pretty crappy part of town, though. Fleur Drive is absolutely horrible traffic no matter what time of day you're on it.

I heard a few years ago they contemplated putting a tower at IKV and making it a Class D. Obviously that didn't pan out, though. That place seems like it's about as busy as DSM most evenings. DSM never really seems 'busy' to me, but I trained at MLI, so I'm used to medium sized 'C' traffic. DSM is in a pretty crappy part of town, though. Fleur Drive is absolutely horrible traffic no matter what time of day you're on it.
When I took my CFI ride with Roger Clark last year, I asked him about that and he said that they are still thinking about it. I think he said that there need to be more IFR operations before anything would happen.

James Dean
There are more than a few big companies backing the idea, and I would like it too. And here is the opposition. They are definitely winning the PR side of things.

When I took my CFI ride with Roger Clark last year, I asked him about that and he said that they are still thinking about it. I think he said that there need to be more IFR operations before anything would happen.

Funny how that works... there might be more IFR operations if it had a tower...

Back