Votes: 23 18.4%
  • There is no training available around here

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • It's not safe

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I just don't know how to get started

Votes: 10 8.0%

• Total voters
Answer not listed -- my airplane isn't aerobatic, and it would not be practical to trade it for one that is.

The better answer for me isn't listed. Maybe you can indicate something for... "It's in the master plan."

I did some aerobatic maneuvers during my spin training for the benefit of some upset recovery training. We did a few more for fun. So, I definitely want to go for it. And, in time once I have other things down on the table and lined up I'll go for it all the way.

Priorities and money. I like going places... bought a travelin' plane.

Someday....

Ditto. Even if it was free I probably wouldn't have the time. Er, scratch that, anyone in SoCal who wants to give me free aerobatic rides, let me know.

Last edited:
I did air combat simulation in a T-6, dual with an instructor. We shot down another guy dual in a second T-6. That's my only acro experience, albiet a mild one. That's also the only kind of acro I'm interested in but haven't done it since. Like anything fun, acro is regulated into a little corner somewhere that only the most highly motivated can access.

Somewhat chicken. My one and only aerobatic intro flight was not "presented" well.

Well Chip, after i flew the Extra at Gaston's last year. You know i want a Christen Eagle,and someday i'll have one. I really like flying the Extra even though i got queeze on the hammerhead, i still think that had something to do with my glasses. Don't think i'll ever get into Hard Aero. but lite aero will be fine with me. and i was told the Eagle isn't that bad of a X/c plane
well like i said SOMEDAY.
Dave G.:blueplane:
P.S. i didnt vote on the poll, mainly cause i didn't know what to put.

I've always wanted to. Ironically, I've only been upside down in an airplane once, for a brief moment (in a Harmon Rocket). It was awesome. I'm sure I'll start one of these days - as soon as I figure out how to fly straight and level!

I see aerobatics as a way to master the entire flight envelope and make one a better pilot. I always used similar reasoning in cars and on motorcycles. The cops didn't buy it, but it made me a better driver/rider.

Competition improves the breed, so given time and resources, I'd have no qualms about entering a contest. Goal #1 for me is mastery.

Like anything fun, acro is regulated into a little corner somewhere that only the most highly motivated can access.

Really? Diana does acro over her farm nearly anytime she likes. A no gyro simple panel Citabria shouldn't set you back too much, and they are fun planes to fly. You don't need an Extra just to do acro.

I have about 1.0 in a Pitts Special and loved it. A hanger neighbor is a CFI and competes in events around the world. I'd love to get more training but the $300 + an hour is out of my price range since I'm starting my IR training.

I've been out in a Citabria for a couple of hours doing the simple stuff. Got about an hour ride in a Christen Eagle doing some more aggressive stuff.

I'd like to have the time and money for a good upset course and for some simple acro training. I enjoy doing it but I don't have a fire in my belly about it.

Also missing the choice of "Haven't gotten around to it but plan on doing it soon."

Put me down for that one.

Where's the "because Chip sold his Extra and that's the only aerobatic aircraft I had access to" answer?

I *am* hopelessly addicted. You can do wingovers in a Cherokee right? (Legally, I mean... :redface:)

The Acro that I have done was before I became a sensible risk-averse mature pilot.

I never did like having to "find the ground, find the ground, find the ground"....so that I would know what inputs were needed. I did 'em because I had to. Uncle is very insistent.

I want to at some point, but currently have other training and/or ratings in front of it. So put me down for - interested but unable at this time.

I like it and am sticking my toes in the water now. I think it is a good way to really learn aircraft control.

No way, never, nuh uh, not for me.

But then again, I said the same about sticks and tailwheels....and that has changed. Maybe one more Gastons will finally convince me otherwise. The last two fixed my other problems! :D

WOW, I just did my first aero flight yesterday 2.1 total, in a Pitts, and a Decathalon.

I'm pretty fortunate to be working up in Reno for the upcomming Reno Air Races and this week was Pylon Racing school. So after pleading with a few pilots I was taken for a ride of my life. Not only did we do some cool flight work (Dutch, and Rolls) but I learned a ton of info regarding spins and recovery. I would recomend it to any new student wishing to become a better pilot.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
My choice isn't in there... with the bad back I have, Bruce STRONGLY recommended AGAINST doing acro - not so much because of the g's in a properly done maneuver but because of the g's I might pull while learning (and screwing up). :(

I've done a bit, always with someone I meet who has a proper aircraft and parachutes, etc., plus I trust the pilot. However, other than that, none of the many schools in our area, to my knowledge, have the planes as insurance for a) tailwheel, which many aerobatic planes are, and b) aerobatics is so high the schools won't go for it, or the leaseback owners won't, same difference. I knew a CFI who bought a Decathlon because of this, set it up in the school where he taught. The club's policy allowed no solo flight in it, dual only in other words, and the insurance was so high he got rid of the plane before long. Pilots would go up with him, learn some stuff, or get their tail wheel endorsement, and never get to rent it for themselves. He couldn't bring in enough money to defray costs on that basis. One broker I was chatting with one time, a broker who covered flight schools as well as other aviation stuff, said, "My nightmare is that someone wants to put a taildragger or aerobatic plane in their fleet. I won't deal with it, can't sleep at night if I do...don't know any insurers who will."

Heck, I really want to get some training. I just have to carve out the time. Learning better aircraft control is always a good thing in my book.

The Acro that I have done was before I became a sensible risk-averse mature pilot.

I never did like having to "find the ground, find the ground, find the ground"....so that I would know what inputs were needed. I did 'em because I had to. Uncle is very insistent.

You really don't need to find the ground, it'll find you...

I don't have access to training here but someday I will find somewhere to do it hopefully close to home.

I went back and read all the responses to this thread. I had not voted before, but now I can check, "I do". :yes:

I have always thought that aerobatics would be a cool thing to do, but I had never gotten around to it. I always thought that I would do it someday. Finally I came to the realization that there was no good reason why "someday" couldn't be "now". Maybe this is my second mid-life crisis. During my first mid-life crisis I went and got a helicopter add-on. Hopefully this will be easier on the wallet...

I have always thought that aerobatics would be a cool thing to do, but I had never gotten around to it. I always thought that I would do it someday. Finally I came to the realization that there was no good reason why "someday" couldn't be "now".

I hope you'll post about your lessons. :yes: Have you had a third one?

I hope you'll post about your lessons. :yes: Have you had a third one?
Actually I had my fourth one today. :)

As far as posting about my lessons, heh, we'll see. The saga of the newbie aerobatic pilot....

Flunked out.

Try again!!
:yes:

My plans don't include a focus on aerobatics, but I've done it (1.0 in a Zlin 242)- enjoyed it, and learned a thing or too as well. ;)

Maybe someday I'll be able to get upside-down regularly, but for now it's once in a while. Maybe I'll do some aerobatic dual as my next BFR... :D

I have had a little aerobatic training. I LOVED it!! I simply can't justify the cost right now. I fully intend to get involved later, when the budget allows it.

Way back when I was an active rigger I had a client that had two Zlin's that he used commercially for aerobatic rides and four rigs to pack. Normally he didn't have the cash to pay me, so instead he would take me up for a ride. I would do great until he did sustained inverted flight. Then I would almost lose my cookies and never recover. About this time I would tell him it was time to got back. Not sure if he was playing with me or not, but typically he would do a couple more snap rolls and then say, okay NOW it's time to go back.

I never did lose my cookies on his flights, but I came REAL close. Sometimes I was still feeling woozy as I was driving down the road.

Other than that, I'd love to get some aerobatic training.

Just looked at the results of the poll. It's a testament that there is not a single response for "It's not safe."

Way back when I was an active rigger I had a client that had two Zlin's that he used commercially for aerobatic rides and four rigs to pack. Normally he didn't have the cash to pay me, so instead he would take me up for a ride. I would do great until he did sustained inverted flight. Then I would almost lose my cookies and never recover. About this time I would tell him it was time to got back. Not sure if he was playing with me or not, but typically he would do a couple more snap rolls and then say, okay NOW it's time to go back.

I never did lose my cookies on his flights, but I came REAL close. Sometimes I was still feeling woozy as I was driving down the road.

Other than that, I'd love to get some aerobatic training.

Acclimation is the key, although I really, really liked the upside-down part, especially when I had the stick. :D

I think I could have handled sustained inverted flight, but just doing loops and hanging for a moment on the top is a rush. Pulling back to recover, looking up at the ground, knowing you have enough room to pull out...great stuff.
On my flight, the thing that made me a little unhappy was pulling gee at the bottom of loops. But in time I could get used to that, for sure... especially if I obey my instructor's three basic rules of pre-flighting my body for aerobatic flight (which I didn't know about before that flight):

1) Always eat a good breakfast before flying aerobatics
2) Avoid coffee and cigarettes, especially before a flight
3) Make sure you're hydrated before a flight

My understanding of it is that those three things, along with regular exposure to the weirdness of it all, helps almost anybody get comfortable doing "stunts".

I agree about the acclimatization. I have not been prone to airsickness in the past but I made myself slightly queasy the first two lessons. Your body experiences forces that are quite unnatural. Not many of us are used to hanging inverted especially while trying to fly an airplane. Also, some of the maneuvers are uncoordinated by nature, slow rolls come to mind, and when I'm the one doing them they become even more uncoordinated. :rolleyes:

That said, I haven't had the problem with queasiness in subsequent lessons, even though they have been spread apart by two-week periods.

I but I made myself slightly queasy the first two lessons... That said, I haven't had the problem with queasiness in subsequent lessons, even though they have been spread apart by two-week periods.

I was queasy and a little light headed especially after spins, on the first few lessons. By the end of the course, on my last flight, I downed two brats with onions and mustard, and a big bowl of cherry cobbler right before clilmbing in and doing everything I learned in the course! :hairraise:

Acclimation!

2) Avoid coffee and cigarettes, especially before a flight

Huh? I think a few old crusty fighter pilots would disagree... and several who've gotten through the fuge on that strategy.

Huh? I think a few old crusty fighter pilots would disagree... and several who've gotten through the fuge on that strategy.

No doubt, but I know at least one aerobatics instructor/Pitts owner who would disagree.
Besides, fighter jocks get to suck on pure oxygen when they're pulling gee... and the suit helps, too. ;)

As for the food thing: I was surprised to hear him say it's better to have a full stomach, but it makes some sense... my stomach, with only a piece of toast and two cups of coffee in it, felt pretty weird the first time I pulled +3 gees. The blood going out of my head wasn't the problem- it was that feeling that my guts were being smashed down into my back pocket... :(

More seriously, I still think it's mostly about getting used to it- my advice is probably sound for first-timers.

No doubt, but I know at least one aerobatics instructor/Pitts owner who would disagree.
Besides, fighter jocks get to suck on pure oxygen when they're pulling gee... and the suit helps, too. ;)

He would be in the minority. Caffeine/stimulants help get the blood pressure up, which in turn helps with G-tolerance. I've had aerospace physiologists even recommend the caffeine prior to hitting the centrifuge.

We don't "suck on pure oxygen" when pulling Gs. It's the same concentration as any other O2 system (concentration based on altitude). Yes, the G-suit does help, but there's a bit of a difference between pulling 9 Gs with rapid onset and pulling 6 Gs in a Pitts at a slow onset.

As for the food thing: I was surprised to hear him say it's better to have a full stomach, but it makes some sense... my stomach, with only a piece of toast and two cups of coffee in it, felt pretty weird the first time I pulled +3 gees. The blood going out of my head wasn't the problem- it was that feeling that my guts were being smashed down into my back pocket... :(

Carbs are good. Gotta have energy. ;)

More seriously, I still think it's mostly about getting used to it- my advice is probably sound for first-timers.

No doubt. You're not going to be raging around with a 6 G/sec onset rate at 9 Gs. I was just pointing out that a lot of the old crusty fighter types got through life with caffeine/nicotine IVs before BFM'ing.

A pitts/extra/super dooper aerobatic pistons can pull G's at a very rapid rate. I wouldn't call it a slow onset.

Sean Tucker pulls +10/-7.5G and the difference between the two is in a very short amount of time.

A pitts/extra/super dooper aerobatic pistons can pull G's at a very rapid rate. I wouldn't call it a slow onset.

I've flown the S-2A and a Giles 202, and from what I remember neither have a very high G-onset rate, at least not > 6 G/sec.. Could be wrong though, and I'd be interested to see that number if anyone has it.. I googled, but no luck.

Sean Tucker pulls +10/-7.5G and the difference between the two is in a very short amount of time.

That's horrible for G-tolerance, but the dude obviously knows what he's doing and has skills.

Back