FSA for medicals?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I have to burn some money off my FSA. Can I use it for the FAA medical exam?

When I had an FSA it was not applicable for FAA medicals as they are not "medically necessary" (I believe that was the phraseology used). YMMV

Nick beat me to it (Mine's Toozday)

Given that the (mis)management of the FSA program is legendary - it would surprise me if they did :(

Frankly, if the payment is going to a doctor and is worded as a "physical examination," I doubt they'd even notice.

-Rich

The folks on the bank end of the card only know its paying the doctors office for a doctors visit. Nobody will ever ask. Unless you are the type of guy who routinely trips up audit flags on your taxes and then likes to fight tooth and nail. Then they may start looking for pennies to disallow.. the rest of us normal pukes will never have a problem with it.

To my knowledge, physicals, even occupationally related ones, are fair game for FSA use.

Don't forget mileage to / from appointments and pharmacies. Most years that will get a couple hundred for me.

I wonder if buying a plane ticket out of my HSA to go see Dr. Bruce for a physical would send up any flags? :dunno::D

FSA will cover work relater physical if your employer doesn't cover it.
Oh, and plane tickets would be covered.
The cost of transportatin primarily for, and essential to, medical care is an eligible medical expense. Even airplane tickets!

FSA will cover work relater physical if your employer doesn't cover it.
Oh, and plane tickets would be covered.
The cost of transportatin primarily for, and essential to, medical care is an eligible medical expense. Even airplane tickets!

I need to find a doctor in the Bahamas...

I have to burn some money off my FSA. Can I use it for the FAA medical exam?

If you are audited for some obscene reason, typically a receipt from a doctor's office will be considered acceptable. Its not like buying over the counter medication or something questionable.

The purpose of the FSA is for "unreimbursed medical expenses". You can use them for things that are not medically necessary, like elective surgery (lasik, breast enhancement, etc). I have never seen a litmus test of medical necessity applied to medical expenses on FSA's or tax returns.

So.. my unqualified, but educated, opinion is 'yes'

IRS Pub 502 is the driving one. It describes what is a deductible medical expense and the FSA/HSA etc... rules follow the same policy.

You may deduct a physical examination and diagnostic tests even if you are not ill at the time of the examination.

Hell, if they're going to allow chiroquacktors and other alternative medical providers, I don't see why an AME is out. While a FAA medical is perhaps not the best preventive medical procedures, it's probably better than nothing.

The question "can I?" has been answered.
Now for the next question: "do you really want to?"
Aaaaaand go ... :)
Most FSA's are use or lose. He says he's got a balance. Finding something legitimate to bill for it is a good idea.

Even if he didn't, he's going to get the medical anyhow. The question is whether he uses his tax-free money to pay for this or save it to pay for something else? Might as well use it now. The only time you think about using an FSA to pay an expense is if the expense is itself discretionary on your part.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back