Travel Case for Road Warriors

aviationluver

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Slumdawg_FO
I need to buy a new travel case. Travel case meaning that small mini-bag, usually leather that you stick you tooth brush, toothpaste, comb, shaving cream, etc. in.

Anyone have any recommendations on what to buy and where? I saw a few decent ones on Amazon.com and Burlington Coat Factory's website.

Thx.

Walmart? They are probably all made in the same factory regardless of price point. Find a leather shop and get a custom one made or just wear out cheap megamart ones.

I've used an American Tourister bag made of nylon and vinyl for the past 25 years. Can't say that I have any complaints. I doesn't show much wear-n-tear and cleans up well.

Frankly, I see little benefit from leather in this application.

Yup, the one I have is nylon/canvas looking. Still looks good after 5+ years of monthly travel. I see no reason to go with leather. Most of the guys with the cheap leather ones have them flaking apart after a year or two.

A shaving kit bag.

Mine is the cordura nylon type. I think it has the name of the last airline that lost my suitcase. I asked the luggage lady for a kit to get me through the next morning until my bag showed up.

The one I have is made by Bass. Got it probably 15 years ago, still in perfect shape. No idea what it's made out of, but some sort of heavy synthetic.

My ex-wife bought me a leather one about 15 years ago and it's been all around the world with me without fail. Can't recall a name being on it however. Guess I'm no help.

Walmart? They are probably all made in the same factory regardless of price point. Find a leather shop and get a custom one made or just wear out cheap megamart ones.

This but actually do go into a physical store where you can examine it and see how heavy duty it feels. I've found no-name stuff just as good as any of the "premium" brands at wal-mart.

Don't be ashamed, call it what it is. I bought my latest Man-Purse at Northern Tool. It is a durable black woven nylon that holds all my chit and is not huge or unsightly and by God I'm proud of it.

"Dopp Kit." Got mine (waxed canvas) from Eddie Bauer 20+ years ago, still going strong.

I've only been traveling 50 weeks per year since 1997, so might not be valuable information for you.

I use 1 Gallon Zip-lock bags. They usually last 6-8 months. I have two loaded and ready so I don't have to spend any thought on it on Monday mornings.

I also have two Tumi rolling garment bags in case of quick turns.

Only other important thing is to have the cleaners fold and box your shirts. They travel much better that way than having them on hangers. Usually an extra fifty cents per shirt, but so much easier and they look better at destination.

This American Tourister has been a faithful companion on thousands of personal and business trips. It was a high school graduation present in '81. The leather suitcase expired in the late '90s. It's mostly empty in this shot, as I'm visiting my inlaws right now.

I grew up in the Marine Corps and always called it a Dopp Kit. My wife grew up in the Army and calls it a Ditty Bag.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    821 KB · Views: 28
I have jeans, shirt, underwear, socks, toothbrush/toothpaste, deodorant, in an old AOPA headset bag under the back seat. Haven't opened that bag for seven years. Thanks for the reminder - I gotta check it.

Don't pay too much. A simple $10 nylon bag will do everything a $75 leather one will do except maybe the leather one lasts twice as long.

Like rovili, I've traveled pretty much every week for the past 20 years. You don't need anything fancy, but I think paying for an inexpensive bag is cheaper than to keep buying 1 gallon ziploc bags.

Jesus, you people really are cheap. Don't go to Wal-Mart. Don't spend $10 on something you want to last.

I have one like Hank's. It's a great thing to have. Buy the one that had the best value (your dollar goes furthest). You'll be much happier.

I've had leather ones. They are just one big open compartment that collects junk and gets kind of gross after a while. My latest one, I found at a drug store for $10. It has one side that is semi transparent and has organizers for stuff (pill bottles, toothbrush, razor, etc.) and then the top compartment for stuff like anti perspirant and shaving cream. Everything is easy to find. It might have been intended as a cosmetic bag or something, but it is black. I have been on the road about 60 to 70% the last few years. So it gets use.

1e66c0893ba7fffefc8ba2019ee87c94.jpg

Last edited:
I keep an FBO bag in my plane. Skivvies, socks, shirt pants shorts, blanlet, towel, hygiene gear and cash in one's and quarters.

All in a small backpack sized bag.

Thank me later........

Some of those bags are huge. How much crap are you guys hauling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent about 25 years traveling 20+ times per year. All my shaving-type stuff lived in various Dopp-kit type containers. The common characteristic of all of them was that they were large lumps that were difficult to pack around.

Two or three years ago I discovered these: http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/pack-it-flat-toiletry-kit/54638?productid=949941

This bag is flat and it's long dimension is roughly the inside width of a standard carry-on bag. It just drops in and is easy to pack around. Usually it is in the upper half of the bag and below it is is a similar-sized packing cube with underwear, etc. I'll never go back to those lumps with only one zipper opening.

I see that today they are half-off. Usually it's easy to get 30% off at ebags but I have not seen 50% before.

HTH

Back