Lightspeed announcement 11/12

So, eman, so far, knowing what you know now, would you still buy the headset?

David

I'll know much more after this weekend, I'm flying to myrtle beach.

AS OF NOW, what I'd say is this:

- this headset is the first of it's kind (from lightspeed, anyways) and has room for improvement, but is still pretty good.
- initially it sounded fine to me, maybe a little 'tinny' compared to my old headset but I don't know if that's just the lightspeed ANR or wireless or what.
- the panel interface is huge, the size of that thing needs to come down a bit.
- I have to work the headset into my 'routine', if that makes any sense. my old headset was a POS and I'd just stuff that and my 2nd set into my backpack and not care too much about it. this is a nice headset and now has to be powered up with additional features like the bluetooth and I'm just not used to it yet. once I get that down it'll be a non-issue.
- I still have no idea of battery life, among other things.
- I am NOT one to run out and be the first to buy new technology (new iphones, etc...) and I've always said I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a headset, but I just wanted to step it up and get myself a good set. that being said, for the money I paid I'm expecting to be wow'd, and if I'm not I'll need a plan B.
- I know how I'm currently thinking in terms of owning these things, but like I said, just gimme till the weekend to make a more informed decision.

I'll do the best I can to provide as much objective feedback as I can, and hopefully some video so y'all can be the judge for yourself. but don't worry, you can expect another crotch shot in the video.

I'll know much more after this weekend, I'm flying to myrtle beach.

AS OF NOW, what I'd say is this:

- this headset is the first of it's kind (from lightspeed, anyways) and has room for improvement, but is still pretty good.
- initially it sounded fine to me, maybe a little 'tinny' compared to my old headset but I don't know if that's just the lightspeed ANR or wireless or what.
- the panel interface is huge, the size of that thing needs to come down a bit.
- I have to work the headset into my 'routine', if that makes any sense. my old headset was a POS and I'd just stuff that and my 2nd set into my backpack and not care too much about it. this is a nice headset and now has to be powered up with additional features like the bluetooth and I'm just not used to it yet. once I get that down it'll be a non-issue.
- I still have no idea of battery life, among other things.
- I am NOT one to run out and be the first to buy new technology (new iphones, etc...) and I've always said I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a headset, but I just wanted to step it up and get myself a good set. that being said, for the money I paid I'm expecting to be wow'd, and if I'm not I'll need a plan B.
- I know how I'm currently thinking in terms of owning these things, but like I said, just gimme till the weekend to make a more informed decision.

I'll do the best I can to provide as much objective feedback as I can, and hopefully some video so y'all can be the judge for yourself. but don't worry, you can expect another crotch shot in the video.
Will you hurry up and just FLY with the effing things? Jeez, what are we paying you for?

;)

Will you hurry up and just FLY with the effing things? Jeez, what are we paying you for?

;)

You know Jay, you are right. If he doesn't come through this time, he needs to come off the payroll.

As I am not management, I cannot do what may need to be done. Some one else will have to do it.

David

You know Jay, you are right. If he doesn't come through this time, he needs to come off the payroll.

As I am not management, I cannot do what may need to be done. Some one else will have to do it.

David
I have absolute faith that Eman will come through for us.

We may, however, have to provide some "incentive". ;)

I have the feeling he will send them back within 30 days for a refund. Huge controller, brick heavy headset and the charging is not worth it. After thinking about it I would much rather deal with a cord than all this stuff.

I have the feeling he will send them back within 30 days for a refund. Huge controller, brick heavy headset and the charging is not worth it. After thinking about it I would much rather deal with a cord than all this stuff.

that's a possibility. huge controller is right. as of now I don't think the weight of the headset is an issue, only after a few flights will I be able to tell for sure. charging is not much of an issue but it is more work than not having to charge lol. overall it is just a lot more 'stuff' to deal with than corded.

Are we starting a pool guessing the date of return? :dunno:

It's the charging that would annoy me. As Loren said earlier, I've got enough devices to charge.

And the control box would annoy me. I'd probably grab the headset but forget the box once or twice.

My dad has a pair of Zulu 2s and I like them, not quite as much as the Bose though. I'd be curious to know how this wireless headset performs compared to the Zulu 2.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I love the entrepreneurial spirit. Love a product, build the best you can. Grow your business. Good luck with that.

I really like your pin-up girl designs. Wish there were more. (I thought you used to have more choices on that front.)

I did, but the artist who does them has to modify the art a bit for us and she's gotten really popular of course. Hopefully more soon!

But, but, but....the technology isn't there yet! :rolleyes: :confused: :D

I'll say it one more time for the people in the back. That is CORRECT. It is NOT there yet. Don't worry, I'll just let you guys figure it out all by yourselves. I did my part.
What the hell do I know, I just work here...

Just remember, when your wondering why it's like trying to talk on walkie-talkies, that I tried to warn you. Why do you think I'm telling you this stuff? What's my gain? You haven't bought anything from me, I gain absolutely nothing by putting myself on the line, other than your trust.

Why do you think they priced them at only $800? Cause they like you? :rofl:

Ask why a company would launch a headset right after a previous headset and try and remove it from the market by undercutting their own top - not one, but two - models. What are they going to do with all those PFX's they told you were so amazing? Melt them down? hehe Come on guys, abre tu ojos just a bit wider.

I think this is where I drop the mic, but I don't remember... Oh well *drops mic.

Peace out!

Last edited:
I did, but the artist who does them has to modify the art a bit for us and she's gotten really popular of course. Hopefully more soon!

I'll say it one more time for the people in the back. That is CORRECT. It is NOT there yet. Don't worry, I'll just let you guys figure it out all by yourselves. I did my part.
What the hell do I know, I just work here...

Just remember, when your wondering why it's like trying to talk on walkie-talkies, that I tried to warn you. Why do you think I'm telling you this stuff? What's my gain? You haven't bought anything from me, I gain absolutely nothing by putting myself on the line, other than your trust.

Why do you think they priced them at only $800? Cause they like you? :rofl:

Ask why a company would launch a headset right after a previous headset and try and remove it from the market by undercutting their own top - not one, but two - models. What are they going to do with all those PFX's they told you were so amazing? Melt them down? hehe Come on guys, abre tu ojos just a bit wider.

I think this is where I drop the mic, but I don't remember... Oh well *drops mic.

Peace out!

I suspect Shane knows ALOT more about this technology then the rest of us.... His point about Lightspeed and their obvious failure of the PFX line of headphones speaks volumes.....;)

1) Lightspeed learned nothing from customer complaints about the size of the PFX control box. Instead, they went bigger yet.

2) What problem does this solve? I don't recall ever being "bothered" by my headset's cord. Some things are best left simple and reliable.

Eman1200 has landed in n Myrtle beach. View from my room doesn't suck

1a421ddfbbb6a0aa1a660da28298e6e7.jpg

Real quick update in between Guinnesses.....audio was real good on the tangos, no complaints in that respect at all. Overall I'm still not 100% sold on them, there's some good points but still some not-so-good FOR ME. Might not be the same for e'rbody. If, IF I sent them back it would NOT be for the audio quality or wireless aspect of this headset.

don't know if this will help anyone, but the comm priority feature worked quite well. good audio, not good recording.

Where are the batteries? On top, or in the earcups? Those things look monstrous.

What's the cord on the left side there?

Bose has the com priority too. It's a feature I really like when I'm listening to music. Not sure if the Lightspeed offers it too, but I can also play the music in the background uninterrupted and the incoming ATC just plays at the same time.

Bose has the com priority too. It's a feature I really like when I'm listening to music. Not sure if the Lightspeed offers it too, but I can also play the music in the background uninterrupted and the incoming ATC just plays at the same time.

Zulu.2 has this feature. But I prefer to not use it since ANY sound across the comm channel including intercom or airflow across the mic is enough to interrupt the music. So I prefer to turn the feature off and have the music set to background level.

don't know if this will help anyone, but the comm priority feature worked quite well. good audio, not good recording.

Air guitar, air drumming, AND flying an airplane?

You, good sir, are having too much fun.

Zulu.2 has this feature. But I prefer to not use it since ANY sound across the comm channel including intercom or airflow across the mic is enough to interrupt the music. So I prefer to turn the feature off and have the music set to background level.

I've used both. Sometimes I'll use one, sometimes the other. If there's a passenger, the mic is practically open all the time so I'll use the latter setting. But if I'm alone, the com priority mode works fine. I don't talk to myself(much).

Maybe I'm misreading what I typed. Where is the claim or opinion in my statement?

"Right, Bluetooth/IoT/NFC/RF all exist already. They have for more than a decade. The "tech" isn't ready yet. It's not fat enough. Just like any audio compression, the pipe is still too small."

There's just facts in there, no opinion and no claims.

Not enough "tech" and "the pipe is still to small" - Do you even know what you are talking about? Even the now ancient bluetooth 2.0 protocol can transmit 723Kbps. To put things in perspective, a high quality audio call using VOIP (based on G.711 protocol) only uses roughly 80Kbps.

The "pipe" has existed and is certainly not a limit in 2015. DJI has had LightBridge for over a year and it is capable of transmitting HD Video (Yes, 1080p) well over a MILE with a maximum of 100ms of latency over 2.4ghz frequency.

If you want actual facts I can tell you from FCC documents that The Lightspeed Tango uses a audio module board that has been manufactured since 2013 in the base, and a $2.00 Chip in the headset.

Please, don't badmouth innovation and back up you reasoning with baseless facts, especially when A) your companies address seems to actually be a PO Box at a UPS store B) Your products look very similar to those that can be bought in china for $100 or so C) Your company reports revenues of a whopping $66,000 a year.

Now, I could be wrong about A B & C, I guess the members of POA will come to their own conclusions, but there is no disputing the fact that you have no business bashing innovation and claiming that you are a "real headset maker" which will release a better product because this one couldn't possible have the available "tech" as the "pipe" is just not "fat enough"

Please.

Not enough "tech" and "the pipe is still to small" - Do you even know what you are talking about? Even the now ancient bluetooth 2.0 protocol can transmit 723Kbps. To put things in perspective, a high quality audio call using VOIP (based on G.711 protocol) only uses roughly 80Kbps.

The "pipe" has existed and is certainly not a limit in 2015. DJI has had LightBridge for over a year and it is capable of transmitting HD Video (Yes, 1080p) well over a MILE with a maximum of 100ms of latency over 2.4ghz frequency.

If you want actual facts I can tell you from FCC documents that The Lightspeed Tango uses a audio module board that has been manufactured since 2013 in the base, and a $2.00 Chip in the headset.

Please, don't badmouth innovation and back up you reasoning with baseless facts, especially when A) your companies address seems to actually be a PO Box at a UPS store B) Your products look very similar to those that can be bought in china for $100 or so C) Your company reports revenues of a whopping $66,000 a year.

Now, I could be wrong about A B & C, I guess the members of POA will come to their own conclusions, but there is no disputing the fact that you have no business bashing innovation and claiming that you are a "real headset maker" which will release a better product because this one couldn't possible have the available "tech" as the "pipe" is just not "fat enough"

Please.

:popcorn::popcorn:

Please.

Woho shots fired..... :popcorn:

Not 100% on topic but I see there's a pic of N370HP for sale on the art and photography page.

hispic_zps9wjjvxxz.jpg~original

That helicopter showed up for the airshow in Shawnee this year :D Pics by yours truly.

370HP_zpsl98t1ixm.jpg~original

Last edited:
Not enough "tech" and "the pipe is still to small" - Do you even know what you are talking about?

I think most of us who have used multi-handset wireless phone set ups, bought for less than $100 at any big-box store, figured out he didn't know what he was talking about awhile ago.

>> If you want actual facts I can tell you from FCC documents that The Lightspeed Tango uses a audio module board that has been manufactured since 2013 in the base, and a $2.00 Chip in the headset.

So what was so "historic" about it, 2 year old design of a audio board, not the first to market a wireless headset ... Historic - don't think so.

>> If you want actual facts I can tell you from FCC documents that The Lightspeed Tango uses a audio module board that has been manufactured since 2013 in the base, and a $2.00 Chip in the headset.

So what was so "historic" about it, 2 year old design of a audio board, not the first to market a wireless headset ... Historic - don't think so.

It's called "Marketing".

Stilllllllllllllllllll waiting for the detailed and patiently awaited review from the esteemed eman1200.

Sorry for the delay. Here's my current writeup, although I still was unable to get a good video for you to watch and listen to to make your own decision.

COMFORT

- Quite comfortable, they did NOT feel their weight (18oz). My old headset was almost spring loaded laterally, so if it was gonna clamp, it clamped. Tango seems to adjust 'diagonally', and I was easily able to find a comfortable position on my big head.
- The overall size was not an issue for me at any point in the flight.

WIRELESS/PANEL INTERFACE

- I have no major complaints with the audio aspect of Tango wireless, I believe the feature functioned well. Not perfect. I do hear an occasional 'snap' or 'pop', but definitely no crackle. So far I've taken a local flight as well as a flight from Charlotte to N. Myrtle Beach and back, and total I believe I heard 4 little snaps. Didn't interfere with any communications, only one time did Comm Priority lower the music because of one of these snaps.
- The complaint I do have is with this monsterous brick panel interface I now need to carry around. And charge. And find a place to put it in flight. If the whole point of wireless is to get rid of the hassle of cables, it's only replaced by the hassle of the panel interface. If you own and have more options for a permanent mounting location, the hassle should mostly go away.
- The headset's usb port location as well as the battery compartment door is an issue. The door absolutely will break, and once that door breaks the headset is close to unusable, as the battery will fall out in flight for sure, unless you come up with some cheesey solution to keep it in place until your replacement door arrives. Definitely needs improvement here. If the usb port was exposed ouside of that door, it would be far less of an issue because you'd almost never need to open that door.

BLUETOOTH

- Worked well, sounded very good, easy to set up and use. I first tested bluetooth in my kitchen and while wearing the headset, walked away from the panel interface/phone and it had a solid signal up to30 feet before any signal loss...anything less than 30 feet and it streamed flawlessly. The phone got spotty after about 11 feet away from the panel interface.

COMM PRIORITY

- Worked very well, no issues with this feature at all.

ANR

- This is my first ANR headset. I really wanted to be wow'd. Don't get me wrong, this is definitely a step up from non ANR headsets, but I'm not sure I was wow'd, and I'm not sure I can justify the significantly higher price tag. This part is bugging me, but I'm also a cheap bastard.

BATTERY LIFE

- Still to be determined. I'll say this....after flying from Charlotte to Myrtle I got to the hotel and plugged in my Nexus 7 to charge as well as the Tango headset and panel interface. It took Tango less than 30 minutes to fully charge, while the Nexus took almost an hour. Only other current thought about the rechargable batteries in Tango vs regular batteries in other ANR headsets......in the others, do you get ANY indication of battery life remaining? With the Tangos you see an amber light when they are not at full charge, an audible notification when there are 3 hours left, a green light when fully charged, AND a backup cable should your batteries quit in flight. I don't think double A's give any of those.

FLIGHTLINK

- There's basically 2 options within Flightlink, record level and record time. So I don't think I did anything wrong but both times I recorded using Flightlink, it didn't record ANY 'inbound' radio comm (ATIS, tower, approach, etc...). It only recorded what it picked up on MY mic. Very disappointed, as I wanted to post video AND audio so people can hear the quality. I don't hold this against the headset itself, but needs to be fixed, as I do a lot of recording in flight. I've been in touch with Lightspeed support on this and they are looking into it.

LIGHTSPEED CUSTOMER SERVICE

- So far these guys have been extremely supportive and responsive. Real good support network.

RECOMMENDATIONS

- Headset usb port/battery door needs updating.......fast. Spring loaded retractable system for the 2 cords inside the panel interface. Size of panel interface. Did I mention the size of the panel interface? Flightlink compatibility (or tell me if I did something wrong).

ON A SCALE OF 1 - 10

- I give this headset a solid 7 1/2. They're close, REAL close.

MY FLYING "PROFILE"

- I don't own. Quite often I decide last minute to go on a flight (or maybe the weather decides for me), so being able to throw a headset or two in my bag is important. Planning the battery charge may not always work for me. I do take a lot of video, nothing to write home about but I try to video a little of every flight, especially when bringing up passengers or first timers. Unless Flightlink can capture ALL audio, this will be an added hastle for me. Having to 'line up' the audio to the video is a pain but I can overcome that. Overall, there is some extra work that comes with Tango. I'm not sure the convenience of wireless trumps the extra work....for me.

FINAL VERDICT

- I believe the 2nd version of this headset (T2 ?) will be a winner. There is a chance I will return these, but not before inquiring about Lightspeeds 'trade up' program. If T2 comes out with a few of the improvements I'm looking for, plus who knows the feedback other people are providing, they will be a solid headset to own. If Lightspeed lets me trade up for minimal (or no) cost, I'm in. I would be quite happy keeping and using these, they are a solid headset, but I'm looking forward to version 2.

So, I guess my final verdict is still up in the air. I really really wanted to provide some good video (with full audio) to help you make your own decision. I'm still working on that, but here's my feedback for now.

Thanks and I hope some of this was helpful to someone, whether you end up buying them or not.

Sounds like I'll stick with my halos. Paired with a blulink with muting turned off, they seem to be the same functionality, lighter, and with a cord ;-)

Thanks for the in-depth report!

I'm torn. I desire wireless, and I want ships powered headsets. I am sick of changing batteries -- period, end of story -- and I want to simply have something permanently plugged into my plane.

Tango does that, for the transmitter. I can simply take that big, ugly, stupidly oversized brick and stash it...somewhere...and leave it permanently plugged into my ship's USB power port. Voila -- problem solved.

But then, the headset needs to be charged. Do I want to eff with that? Um...maybe? It's not like we don't charge phones, tablets, and laptops. And I can just leave it on the charger at the hangar...

Like I say...I'm torn. Gonna have to try one on soon!

Thanks for the in-depth report!

I'm torn. I desire wireless, and I want ships powered headsets. I am sick of changing batteries -- period, end of story -- and I want to simply have something permanently plugged into my plane.

Tango does that, for the transmitter. I can simply take that big, ugly, stupidly oversized brick and stash it...somewhere...and leave it permanently plugged into my ship's USB power port. Voila -- problem solved.

But then, the headset needs to be charged. Do I want to eff with that? Um...maybe? It's not like we don't charge phones, tablets, and laptops. And I can just leave it on the charger at the hangar...

Like I say...I'm torn. Gonna have to try one on soon!

I'll be honest Jay, based on your requirements it actually sounds like they'd be a good fit for you. If I owned and had a hangar with power these would work great. oh, and once they make that usb port available without opening the battery door it's a no brainer.

my problem is they don't truly fit my requirements, but they're still a good headset, and I only have 30 days to decide to keep em or not lol.

Back