Lake Norman NC

Flybynite

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flybynite
Anyone based out of Lake Norman NC. thinking of moving there and would like to check out the airports with someone who know the area. I will be in the Charlotte area during the Thanksgiving holiday week. Thanks, guys.

I am not based there but have flown in there. If you elect to fly in, take note of the runway slope. One of the locals told me they land uphill unless the tailwind is over 20 knots.

I'm real close to it, although much closer to JQF (Concord). I've flown in a few times and yes, it is sloped. airnav is only showing 1% but it is noticeable. there are some nice houses surrounding the field and a walking path all the way around it that I'll sometimes go to and pretend like I got some exercise. here's 2 pics from my flight on Tuesday, I circled 14A and buzzed some boats on the lake.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 14A_1.jpg
    14A_1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 264
  • 14A_2.jpg
    14A_2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 262
Nice place to live. Lots of NASCAR drivers live on the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are two airparks there...:yes: Which one are you considering?

Anyone based out of Lake Norman NC. thinking of moving there and would like to check out the airports with someone who know the area. I will be in the Charlotte area during the Thanksgiving holiday week. Thanks, guys.

Tread carefully. If you are talking about 14A, do your homework.

The dirty secret there is that Race City Flight Operations is owned by the company next door that does the armed Air Tractors. Their sole interest is in building Air Tractors/ I have been in a few times in the really recent past and was told, and I **** you not, there is no where for you to park...

There seemed to be a struggle in between the Home Owners and the FBO/Air Tractor folks...the Air Tractor folks own all of the land around the airport.

Statesville is the cat's meow.
Concord is ran by the city and they think they are Teterboro South.

FlyingRon on the Red Board has a place at Long Island.

I'll be in the area too over thanksgiving and am planning on taking my dad up flying for the first time. I'm set up to rent from eman's flight school and am planning on getting a landing in at 14A.

I'd love to live on an airpark one day but first I need to get an airplane!

Good luck with the search!

I used to live right near lake Norman air park (on lake Norman, I miss that ha ha) but haven't flown into there 14A, been meaning to and probably will now that work is slowing down. I live in Charlotte now fly out of 8A6 (Wilgrove, eman does some flying there also) just a few miles from the Concord Airport. The Lake Norman/ Charlotte area in general is great, I've lived there for almost 7 years now. Several good airport options in the area, only thing is the dodging the Bravo can be a pain in the ass. If you have any questions I would be glad to help, Eman will have good info for you as well.

I used to fly my Maule in there almost every weekend for 5-6 years. But that was 10+ years ago so little of my experience is useful. Heck, they completely repaved the strip since then (that's a good thing though the old one was in fine shape in my opinion).

Great location on a great lake. Car traffic congestion is bad if you are a Charlotte commuter but you're not too far out.

It is sloped which as with any sloped strip makes down hill take offs and up hill landings short and easy. Non issue.

Long Island is a great looking place with a turf(?) runway - Ron will hopefully chime in. I've never been in there.

Sorry to hear about 'no parking' or other issues there. I flew in many dozens of times parking my Maule on the grass and never really talked to anyone about it. Even kept a car there for a year or two. It's grown up a bit since then.

Sometimes I really wished we had lived there because of the hard surface strip, Lake life and the fine city of Charlotte. But 8NC8's turf strip, big Falls Lake Bass, and the very lively Bull City suit me just fine. And we just don't have the car traffic of the Queen City area.

I've been into 14a a few times and even considered moving my plane there. Last time I spoke to them they said there was no tie downs or hanger space available.

I fly into KIPJ a couple few times a year. If you are coming in to check the place out, they aren't that far, have some awesome approaches, the FBO is great, the staff friendly, and they can execute Enterprise rental contracts on field. It is always a pleasure to fly in to Lincoln County.

Tread carefully. If you are talking about 14A, do your homework.

The dirty secret there is that Race City Flight Operations is owned by the company next door that does the armed Air Tractors. Their sole interest is in building Air Tractors/ I have been in a few times in the really recent past and was told, and I **** you not, there is no where for you to park...

There seemed to be a struggle in between the Home Owners and the FBO/Air Tractor folks...the Air Tractor folks own all of the land around the airport.

Statesville is the cat's meow.
Concord is ran by the city and they think they are Teterboro South.

That was not my experience at all, back when I was flying (gave it up 2 years ago). While I never tried to base my plane there (I live 30 miles north), I went there on a few occasions to get some training from a very nice older gentleman, Gene Branson. If you do end up moving to the area and need some instruction, look up Gene. He simply loves to fly/teach, and owns several planes based at Lake Norman, GSO, and Statesville.

Wells

I'm here too! I'm sitting here this morning in my place there (flew in yesterday to conduct a wine tasting).

I go over to 14A from time to time to get fuel. I've not had any problems with the FBO but indeed there is no space there. SVH has lots of space but the fuel is pricier. I actually these days head over to the SS pump at Hickory.

Are you looking to move to the area? One of my neighbors is a former airline pilot turned real estate agent.

How seaplane friendly is Lake Norman? I've read it is fairly friendly but does anyone know for sure? Are there many based there?

How seaplane friendly is Lake Norman? I've read it is fairly friendly but does anyone know for sure? Are there many based there?

The ONLY thing I can say is one time flying over the lake I heard a seaplane make an announcement that he was landing in the lake on the south side. That's all I got, sorry.

I have one neighbor with a Seabee and another with a Cub on floats. There's no problem landing/taking off on the lake. We get a few guys with Sea Rey's that pop in for a visit from time to time. I had a guy show up while I was working in front of my hangar who had dinged up his cub on floats and wanted to know if we could help. Told him no problem we have a boat ramp in the neighborhood and pulled him up out of the water while his mechanic fitted the wheels on it so he could fly out of there.

I used to fly my Maule in there almost every weekend for 5-6 years.
It is sloped which as with any sloped strip makes down hill take offs and up hill landings short and easy. Non issue.
Non issue in a Maule. In my Lancair it was downright scary.

I have one neighbor with a Seabee and another with a Cub on floats. There's no problem landing/taking off on the lake. We get a few guys with Sea Rey's that pop in for a visit from time to time. I had a guy show up while I was working in front of my hangar who had dinged up his cub on floats and wanted to know if we could help. Told him no problem we have a boat ramp in the neighborhood and pulled him up out of the water while his mechanic fitted the wheels on it so he could fly out of there.

Good to know all of that. Thanks!

I may be starting a new job in Charlotte in a month or two and was wanting to get as much info on the area as possible. As I love seaplane flying, Lake Norman really caught my eye. I really want to buy a seaplane in the very near future so having a friendly lake nearby is a big plus for me.

I may be starting a new job in Charlotte in a month or two and was wanting to get as much info on the area as possible. As I love seaplane flying, Lake Norman really caught my eye. I really want to buy a seaplane in the very near future so having a friendly lake nearby is a big plus for me.
You can't fly off many or most NC lakes but you definitely can off of Norman. That's all I know.

The Seabee guy and his wife are big in the SPA (I know she works in their booth at Oshkosh).

Of course, there are lots (and even already built homes) available on my airpark. Now that they've built the divided/limited access version of Highway 16...it's a pretty quick shot down to Charlotte.

If you're in the area give me a PM.

The Seabee guy and his wife are big in the SPA (I know she works in their booth at Oshkosh).

Of course, there are lots (and even already built homes) available on my airpark. Now that they've built the divided/limited access version of Highway 16...it's a pretty quick shot down to Charlotte.

If you're in the area give me a PM.

Thanks Ron, will do.

Back