Detroit/Ford Field TFR over Canada?

jpower

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
James
Just when you thought there were no more new (aviation-related) questions we could debate here, I've got a bit of an oddball.

Do the US stadium TFRs reach over into Canada? I was hoping to lead a group of four planes on a flight over the Detroit River and downtown Detroit, but alas, there's a Lions game at the same time we can all do the flight. However, half of the river is in Canada, so if the TFR doesn't reach over the international border, we should be good to go, since we can hug the Canadian side of the river and even transit the Windsor Class D. I know both are are doable on flight following, because I've done it with no issues. As long as you're squawking and talking, you can cross the border no problem, no need even to file a flight plan, and Detroit's offered to coordinate a transit of the Windsor Class D for me.

Then there's the question of how tough they are in general. When I was flying around Cincinnati over the summer, all you had to do was ask and they'd let you through the Reds TFRs. I actually did a turn over the stadium at prolly 2500 AGL while a game was going on while I was squawking and talking.

I'm going to call the TRACON tomorrow, but I'm curious if anyone has any personal experience.

Not sure about the international border piece...

But for stadium TFRs I get to see those all the time. (Cowboys, TCU, Baylor, College Station) Not sure why it's always home games when I'm around.

So, on FF I generally reconfirm and the gist is that if you're transitioning or landing in the TFR, no problemo, just don't linger in them.

Just called Approach and had my question answered, so here it is in case anyone else stumbles across this thread or is curious. The TFR extends out to the US/Canada border, which is halfway across the river. You can on the Canadian side of the river if you're talking to Windsor Tower or if Approach is coordinating the transition of the Windsor Class D for you.

Just called Approach and had my question answered, so here it is in case anyone else stumbles across this thread or is curious. The TFR extends out to the US/Canada border, which is halfway across the river. You can on the Canadian side of the river if you're talking to Windsor Tower or if Approach is coordinating the transition of the Windsor Class D for you.

Late to this thread. The answer you got makes sense. Unless Canada had an equivalent flight restriction, the restriction stops at the border, as the US cannot regulate Canadian airspace.

Notice how class C, D, and charted class E airspace stops at the border? Why not class B, too? Class B stops at the border too, but through an international agreement, the Canadians continue it on their side as well. Thus the note in Order 7400.9, regarding the legal description of Detroit's Class B:

The Canadian airspace depicted in Areas C, F, and H above are included in the legal description for the Detroit Class B to accommodate charting. This accommodation reflects airspace established by Transport Canada to complete the Detroit Class B airspace area.

Back