Transporting guns thru Canada

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Read the real rules at

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/online-en_ligne/form-assistance/pdfs/909.pdf

bottom of the left hand side, Firearms difinations, see what is really prohibited in Canada.

This debunks the old wives tale that hand guns can't be taken into canada, only 25-32 cal, and barrel lenght of 4.1 MM or shorter. any other can be taken with the propoer paper work and monies paid.

Good to know the National laws on this, but I wonder. Are Provincial laws allowed to supersede National laws in Canada? Living in the Detroit area, I frequently see signs near the border reminding us that handguns are prohibited in Ontario (maybe it's just short barreled handguns? No, I specifically remember it stating Handguns were prohibited).

Always "heard" that they were not allowed (crossing the border one is frequently asked if one has any weapons). Hmm.... I wonder, does this mean I can cross from Detroit into Ontario with a 1911 (full size) in my luggage?

Read the real rules at

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/online-en_ligne/form-assistance/pdfs/909.pdf

bottom of the left hand side, Firearms difinations, see what is really prohibited in Canada.

This debunks the old wives tale that hand guns can't be taken into canada, only 25-32 cal, and barrel lenght of 4.1 MM or shorter. any other can be taken with the propoer paper work and monies paid.
So, this explains why my friend in Canada no longer has the handgun his father gave to him.

I do know that whenever I have crossed the border into Canada at Niagara Falls I am asked if I have any firearms. There are also signs that handguns are prohibited. Guess some old wives tales die hard.

It might also be one of those laws that is interpreted otherwise by the border agents and they really will not allow any handguns in at all. Take a copy of the regs so you can argue effectively at the border!

I fill out the form shown in my first post as required, then when I cross the border they will ask if you have any weapons, I usually show the border guard the form as soon as I pull up to the gate. I never have had any problems if i have enough money to cover the cost of imports to canada. ($25.00cd per gun.)

You do not have to file the form in advance unless you are importing a restricted weapon. if you are taking a shot gun or rifle you can show the form and pay at the border.

OBTW they don't even ask to see the weapon.

So, this explains why my friend in Canada no longer has the handgun his father gave to him. .

There are many reasons that your friend may have lost his weapon this might explane a few

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/about-nous/registrar/default_e.asp

But that has no bearing on how we Americans transport guns thru Canada.

I do know that whenever I have crossed the border into Canada at Niagara Falls I am asked if I have any firearms. There are also signs that handguns are prohibited. Guess some old wives tales die hard.

All guns in Canada are controled at one point "Canadan Fire Arms centre" and the web page says nothing about any signs you see at the border.

the real truth about guns in Canada can be found at

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/default_e.asp

The last time I drove into Canada (1988) I was asked if I had any "offensive" weapons in the car. Offensive weapons? No nukes, no short range attack missiles, nothing like that. What was he referring to? Didn't have any guns on board (left them in the trailer in camp on the US side).

The last time I drove into Canada (1988) I was asked if I had any "offensive" weapons in the car. Offensive weapons? No nukes, no short range attack missiles, nothing like that. What was he referring to? Didn't have any guns on board (left them in the trailer in camp on the US side).

Some of our non gun, offensive weapons such as pepper spray and tasers are illegal in Canada. and so is transporting more than 10k in cash acorss the border.

I have Bobbi's rabies papers and our pasports at the ready when we are at the hold short line before entering the gate. When I pull up I hand the whole stack to the border guard. then answer their questions. I have never been held more than 3-4 minutes in the gate.

When you have the gun import form filled out they will ask you to move out of the gate and park the car and come inside to enter the weapon in the computer and pay, then you are free to go anywhere in Canada

Last edited:
Back