Fore flight on airliner

So do I, and without fail I get a big shock and glares every time when it blurts out on max volume "Entering Runway 30" during taxiing.

Guilty, although my iPad has a tough time maintaining GPS lock when I'm in an airliner.

Last edited:
My wife likes the window seat, so I let her hold the Bad Elf and bluetooth to me sitting aisle a good GPS for FF.

Yep. I turn the bad elf pro on, put it in my carry on, and put it in the overhead bin. Usually it gets good lock. It should be more fun now with the Stratus 2S. I can't wait to put the iPad up in front of me with it on synthetic vision during climb out & arrival...

Step 1, look up your flight number on FlightAware.
Step 2, click the link in FlightAware to open the filed routing in ForeFlight.
Step 3, follow along in ForeFlight including the full SID and STAR.
Bonus: Listen to the takeoff/departure and arrival/landing through the LiveATC app.

Bonus: Listen to the takeoff/departure and arrival/landing through the LiveATC app.

Check, check, and check. I've also listened with a scanner but lost the comms after airborne. Faraday cage perhaps?

I've always wanted to be there with my laptop on the tray table, an AHRS/synth vision showing on the screen, and a 6-inch yoke tucked under the edge of the laptop.

Then mimic the turns and get the folks around me convinced I'm controlling the aircraft from seat 22B.

San Diego

And yes I typically follow it on fore flight. Most other passengers look on with interest at first and then figure it out. I believe you can disable the audible runway entry announcement.

For whatever reason, American Airlines still bans use of GPS in their planes.

Where is the link for step 2?

I do it too. Although the GPS signal can be spotty. I want to try it with my Stratus 2S.

I wonder if I'd get yelled at if I had it suction cupped to the window???

On flights with WiFi I freaked out my friends a few times by saying "I'm sensing an oncoming aircraft... look out the window in 30 seconds" after 2 or 3 times of doing this with an aircraft zipping by us on cue they were freaked out. Then I revealed I was tracking our progress on flightradar24.com and knew that some traffic was oncoming below us :wink2:

I do it too. Although the GPS signal can be spotty. I want to try it with my Stratus 2S.

I wonder if I'd get yelled at if I had it suction cupped to the window???

Please don't be that guy :yikes:

Am I the only on that follows for flight sitting on an airliner?, guess where I'm flying from.
Nope. Last month from DEN to MDW I was sitting with 2 corporate pilots and all 3 of us had our iPads out, comparing software. Company provides Jepp, I had FF. Most interesting, they didn't put them away or turn them off when the "turn off all electronics" announcement was made prior to landing.

Nope. Last month from DEN to MDW I was sitting with 2 corporate pilots and all 3 of us had our iPads out, comparing software. Company provides Jepp, I had FF. Most interesting, they didn't put them away or turn them off when the "turn off all electronics" announcement was made prior to landing.

There are still airlines that make you turn off all electronics for takeoff and landing? Southwest stopped that a while ago. The only thing they announce is that electronics need to be in airplane mode for the whole flight, and laptops or large electronic devices need to be stowed for takeoff and landings. That does not include iPads.

There are still airlines that make you turn off all electronics for takeoff and landing? Southwest stopped that a while ago. The only thing they announce is that electronics need to be in airplane mode for the whole flight, and laptops or large electronic devices need to be stowed for takeoff and landings. That does not include iPads.

When I flew Delta a couple weeks ago, the impression I got from the preflight briefing (real life, not the recorded video) was that iPhones were okay for takeoff and landing but they wanted iPads put away during those evolutions. Not sure if that is actual Delta policy though.

The break is laptop / ipad. If the device runs mobile software (iOs / Android) it's good. Of course they still want the device in Airplane mode which would kill the GPS functionality so there's that...

I follow along with my Ipad too. That's actually how I picked which app to get ForeFlight/GarminPilot/WingX Pro. A lot easier to play with and learn the features without having to worry about actually flying the plane.

...they still want the device in Airplane mode which would kill the GPS functionality so there's that...

Airplane mode does not kill GPS functionality, at least not on my android phone, and my ipad doesn't have a data plan so no need for airplane mode on that one.

Last time I even had the GDL-39-3D in the window and watched the approach and landing on SVT.

The break is laptop / ipad. If the device runs mobile software (iOs / Android) it's good. Of course they still want the device in Airplane mode which would kill the GPS functionality so there's that...

Airplane mode kills the transmission of the cellular radio. WiFi and GPS can still be turned on.

So do I, and without fail I get a big shock and glares every time when it blurts out on max volume "Entering Runway 30" during taxiing.

Yeah, I got caught by that one with my phone. I was still using my ancient iPad so I hadn't noticed that, but I had left FF up on my phone and when they told us on landing we could make calls I brought mine out to text my wife and it started doing that...

The other time it went off was during the Navion flyin where we had parked the planes along the grass runway at EZF. Everytime I walked out to my plane it warned me I was crossing the runway.

Yeah, I got caught by that one with my phone. I was still using my ancient iPad so I hadn't noticed that, but I had left FF up on my phone and when they told us on landing we could make calls I brought mine out to text my wife and it started doing that...

The other time it went off was during the Navion flyin where we had parked the planes along the grass runway at EZF. Everytime I walked out to my plane it warned me I was crossing the runway.
You leave FF actively running? Doesn't that drain your battery pretty fast?

I do this all the time. I try to flightplan as though I were flying, and then compare our actual versus my intended. Sometimes, I pull the actual plan off flightaware and enter it into FF. Often, I'll listen on LiveATC to clearance delivery, ground and tower, but I always lose connection with the handoff to departure. It's fun, it's pretty good practice and I get bored on commercial flights (I fly a LOT for work).

After deperature, I usually dial up some Sporty's IFR training videos or rewatch 16R.

Airplane mode kills the transmission of the cellular radio. WiFi and GPS can still be turned on.
To avoid confusion... Airplane mode turns off all transmitters but then they can be turn back on individually.

Not all airlines allow inflight use of GPS receivers. Check your airline's inflight magazine or website for their policy.

I've always wanted to be there with my laptop on the tray table, an AHRS/synth vision showing on the screen, and a 6-inch yoke tucked under the edge of the laptop.

Then mimic the turns and get the folks around me convinced I'm controlling the aircraft from seat 22B.

A classic.....

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    951.1 KB · Views: 40
I took my iPad with Foreflight and my Stratus 2 on our yearly vacation trip to the Dominican Republic in June.. I was able to receive ads-b weather until about 100 miles off the coast. GPS worked well with it sitting on the tray table.

IMG_0012_zpsngptwhxn.jpg

IMG_0015_zpsh4fkhlwq.jpg

IMG_0022_zpsp9hvvbbx.jpg

annnnd yes.. the cell radio was active when i took these screenshots. oops I forgot and we didn't crash !

Last edited:
FF synthetic vision with Stratus 2 landing in Vegas on AA.

I loaded the route from flight aware right before we took off. I was surprised that we followed it completely.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
Back