The airport dog

Richard O

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Richard O.
Nothing says friendly airport like the airport dog. They are the official welcoming committee at many airports. Post pictures of your favorite airport dog.

The first is Scooter, 46A. The second is Oscar, FQD. There's also a golden at FQD but I didn't see him yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_0855a.jpg
    IMG_0855a.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 51
What a nice idea! If Daley is around at PUW today, I'll try to get a picture of him. My favorite airport dog, though, is no more. I'll see if I have a picture of her, but I'm not sure I do. She was a Welsh terrier at Umiat, Alaska (actually, there were two, but she was the one who always ran out to greet people). She was a pretty amazing dog. She actually survived a prop strike. Took out one of her eyes, but she lived. She stayed away from airplanes, though! I say she is no more because she can't possibly still be alive. She would be something like 26 years old now, and in fact, I'm pretty sure I heard that she died some time back.

Judy

Nothing says friendly airport like the airport dog. They are the official welcoming committee at many airports. Post pictures of your favorite airport dog.

The first is Scooter, 46A. The second is Oscar, FQD. There's also a golden at FQD but I didn't see him yesterday.

This is Chopper, who belongs to Mark and Joanne (as does the R44 II, where I am sitting in the right seat getting R44 transition training). Chopper rides in the back seat -- everything else goes in a skid-mounted pod...

Attachments

• In Marks R44.jpg
    In Marks R44.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 65
I give you the airport dog of Carrizozo, "Airport Dog."
AirportDog.jpg

Here is a famous airport dog...

Her name is Honey, and she was on the support staff at the Reno Air Races...

If you ever went to check your speeds on the boards to see how you placed against other pilots she was there waiting to cheer you up. She kept me company while I was working the races every year in the communications room.

I'm too embarrassed to post my dog so I figured this was the next best thing.

She passed away last year and is dearly missed.

Attachments

• Honey.jpg
    Honey.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 27
Diana, Did you get a picture of the one that ate you lunch?

Missa

Her Name is Bobbi. She is always with me at t he airport.

Attachments

• Bob E Dog.jpg
    Bob E Dog.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 21
Sorry for your loss! Please post a pic of your old doggy so we can all see what a beautiful girl she was.

http://www.junkyardcritters.com/Odetocritters.html

I'm sorry maybe I was not clear. Honey was the dog that passed away...she is a true airport dog that loves all the pilots and airplanes that fly fast and low. She will always be the official dog of the Reno Air Races. In fact most posters or promo material from the races has her in the background.

The first picture is Honey again laying on the hangar floor. The second picture is of my dog, Thor. I tried a dry run with Thor the other day but I think he will be too skittish to fly.

Attachments

• Honey.jpg
    Honey.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Thor-can-sit.jpg
    Thor-can-sit.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Attachments

• pool01.jpg
    pool01.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 36
I'm dreading the day that Piper goes. I've grown really attached to the poop machine.

When he dies, my bed will feel very empty without a warm body laying over my feet.

I'm dreading the day that Piper goes. I've grown really attached to the poop machine.

When he dies, my bed will feel very empty without a warm body laying over my feet.

Man Nick, you need a girlfriend!

But I know what you mean. It's tought to lose someone you spend all your time with... I'm just not home enough for a dog, a cat is even pushing it but as soon as the kitchen is done I may get one.

I don't have a pic here of my childhood dog and he wasn't really an airport dog... but you got to let him in just for the name. His full name (given by my Dad who is a big snoopy fan) was Curse You Red Baron. Ma only let him use the second half of the name around us kids. Baron was a good dog. He was a black mutt, 1/2 pure bread poodle and 1/2 negiborhood giglow. It was really hard watching him get old.

Missa

I tried a dry run with Thor the other day but I think he will be too skittish to fly.

Great pic and Thor is un pero grande! Maybe he just needs a little tequila before he flies.:D

My dogs are getting old. One just had a tumor removed from inside his mouth and the other has come up with some kind of hip deformity--we're pretty sure it wasn't deformed before, so we're not sure what's going on. They're both 11 years old, but the one with the tumor is a lot bigger.

The vet says the only way to be sure he's cured of the cancer (even though there is no evidence it has spread and isn't a very aggressive form) is to remove half his jaw. I won't do that to him. We're taking a wait-and-see approach. It's possible the tumor won't come back and very possible that even if there is some cancer left it won't metastasize. Even if he has as much as 3 years left (possible because of his breed), I want him to have the highest quality of life. Removing half his jaw doesn't fit with that, and if the chances of it metastasizing are small, I'll just keep paying to have the tumor removed if it comes back. It's hard playing god, though. It's even harder to see such wonderful dogs getting old. They just don't live long enough.

Judy

Great pic and Thor is un pero grande! Maybe he just needs a little tequila before he flies.:D

LMAO...I can only imagine if he had some tequila in him. He is cute but can be a handful. Is there hearing protection for a small dog. I found a place to put him in my DA20 safely. :hairraise:

My dogs are getting old. One just had a tumor removed from inside his mouth and the other has come up with some kind of hip deformity--we're pretty sure it wasn't deformed before, so we're not sure what's going on. They're both 11 years old, but the one with the tumor is a lot bigger.

The vet says the only way to be sure he's cured of the cancer (even though there is no evidence it has spread and isn't a very aggressive form) is to remove half his jaw. I won't do that to him. We're taking a wait-and-see approach. It's possible the tumor won't come back and very possible that even if there is some cancer left it won't metastasize. Even if he has as much as 3 years left (possible because of his breed), I want him to have the highest quality of life. Removing half his jaw doesn't fit with that, and if the chances of it metastasizing are small, I'll just keep paying to have the tumor removed if it comes back. It's hard playing god, though. It's even harder to see such wonderful dogs getting old. They just don't live long enough.

Judy

Local practitioner, or the Vet school at WSU? Good luck with your dogs.

LMAO...I can only imagine if he had some tequila in him. He is cute but can be a handful. Is there hearing protection for a small dog. I found a place to put him in my DA20 safely. :hairraise:
Yes there is. I would think that most dogs would try to paw these off but if you can train your dog to leave them alone these look like a good idea.
http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/index.html

Maybe these would be small enough.;)

http://www.skygeek.com/mutt-muffs.html

Ooops, sorry Richard, didn't check out that link before posting this.

Last edited:
I give you the airport dog of Carrizozo, "Airport Dog."
AirportDog.jpg

OK, with a little help from Photoshop here is the hidden dog pic.

Chache

Attachments

• AirportDog.jpg
    AirportDog.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 22
Pagosa Springs, CO
Bella and Bunny

Attachments

• Bella's taco tongue.jpg
    Bella's taco tongue.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 8
  • Bunny_static_electricity.jpg
    Bunny_static_electricity.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 10
Toots at EDU (UC Davis).

As a side note, the last time I was there, the airport designator was 0O5 or O05 (I can't remember which). I thought it was kind of cool that, of all the university-related airports, Davis snagged EDU. (For those not in the know, .edu is the university equivalent of .org or .com)

Judy

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 11
Back