Pilots Bill of Rights 3 - Senate hearing

JohnWF

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John at Salida
Is there any word on how the Senate committee acted or didn't act on the PBOR 3 today?

Oh, PBOR 2 was so yesterday. :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

PBOR---- Pilots Bill of Rights.

And what happened to PBORs 1?

Not to be confused with PBR- Pabst Blue Ribbon beer. The national beer of rednecks everywhere. Only to be consumed while wearing white socks.

That "3" was just a typo....is there any word on how the hearing went today?

Here's what i found, don't know what it really means

November 18, 2015
Senate Commerce Approves Six Bills, Multiple Nominations
WASHINGTON - Today, the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation approved six bills and approved nominations for two agencies.

Bills and nominations considered are as follows (all passed by voice vote unless otherwise noted):

1. Vote on final passage deferred/postponed: S. 571, Pilot Bill of Rights 2, Sponsors: Sens. James Inhofe (R-Okla.), Joe Manchin (D-W.V.), and 67 bipartisan cosponsors

a. Approved Manchin substitute amendment
b. Nelson 1 amendment not agreed to, 11-13 vote
c. Nelson 4 amendment not agreed to, 11-13 vote

Here's what i found, don't know what it really means

November 18, 2015
Senate Commerce Approves Six Bills, Multiple Nominations
WASHINGTON - Today, the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation approved six bills and approved nominations for two agencies.

Bills and nominations considered are as follows (all passed by voice vote unless otherwise noted):

1. Vote on final passage deferred/postponed: S. 571, Pilot Bill of Rights 2, Sponsors: Sens. James Inhofe (R-Okla.), Joe Manchin (D-W.V.), and 67 bipartisan cosponsors

a. Approved Manchin substitute amendment
b. Nelson 1 amendment not agreed to, 11-13 vote
c. Nelson 4 amendment not agreed to, 11-13 vote

So, that means that PBOR-2 is now "officially" the Manchin version, not the original Inhoffe version.

Here's the Manchin version:
http://www.commerce.senate.gov/publ...E4356E.s.571-manchin-substitute-modified-.pdf

Last edited:
I'd be a lot more into the idea of blowing $8k to $10k on a WAAS/LPV navigator if something happened with medical reform.

Don't hold your breath for medical reform. GO ahead and spend the 10K for WAAS -it's so much better :)

Just saying to anyone (Aircraft Electronics Association who isn't listed as signing the said letter of support on the AOPA website) that this piece of legislation just might be the deciding factor to spending thousands of dollars on new radios.

I think it's funny that people think medical reform will save aviation. All it will do is postpone the inevitable. They should be concentrating their resources to make certification cheaper and easier or amending the rules regarding certified aircraft upgrades and maintenance.

I think it's funny that people think medical reform will save aviation. All it will do is postpone the inevitable. They should be concentrating their resources to make certification cheaper and easier or amending the rules regarding certified aircraft upgrades and maintenance.

Clearly you aren't a CFI that constantly watches potential students walk after pointing out the hoop jumping required for a third class to fly a simple 160 horse family sedan.

Fuel & oil cost will ultimately "kill" it.

Lax certification won't do **** either. Product liability will kill any sloppy company.

Last edited:

Relevant...

Attachments

• complexity.jpg
    complexity.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 86

Experimental Aviation cures that issue....;)

Lax certification won't do **** either. Product liability will kill any sloppy company.

I don't think so. Look at the efficiency of airplanes like the pipstrel panthera. 190ktas on 12gph, 1100lb useful. Nice interior, BRS Chute too. Thats 18.5mpg in statute miles.

Add 20% for straight line distance. Add another 25% or more if we get modern turbodiesel technology. You're at 27-28mpg.

Experimental Aviation cures that issue....;)

Certainly does in a way. Pretty telling when a guy dumps his partnership in a T182T due to maintenance costs then builds and owns an RV10 outright.

I posted a comment about the airline pilot with known and reported heart disease dying in flight.

Clearly you aren't a CFI that constantly watches potential students walk after pointing out the hoop jumping required for a third class to fly a simple 160 horse family sedan.

I'm sorry but there is nothing to a 3rd class medical. If you can't pass it then I'm not sure I would fly with you. I'm all for deregulation but I just don't think this is the answer.

but passing it can't hurt, it can only help. If even only in a small way. :dunno:

When they hit 30 years old they will be. Right now buy-in price on most old certified it still under a similar performing experimental.

Till ya need any parts for the certified plane..... Then you lose your ass...

For instance... I run Bosch racing plugs in my Ford.. Top of the line product... Just bought a box of 10 for 38.00.....

My hangar mate bought a box of 12 fine wire plugs for his certified plane... They were just under 1300 dollars....:yikes:

I'm sorry but there is nothing to a 3rd class medical. If you can't pass it then I'm not sure I would fly with you. I'm all for deregulation but I just don't think this is the answer.

This is not a fair statement, you obviously weren't prescribed the wrong pill, or have a resolved condition which requires lots of $ to prove and re-prove over and over. Meanwhile, A guy who is a ticking time bomb who has never been to the doctor can get his 3rd class, no problem(and you'll go flying with him because he got it)

Till ya need any parts for the certified plane..... Then you lose your ass...

For instance... I run Bosch racing plugs in my Ford.. Top of the line product... Just bought a box of 10 for 38.00.....

My hangar mate bought a box of 12 fine wire plugs for his certified plane... They were just under 1300 dollars....:yikes:

That's why I said buy-in price Ben. Some parts aren't much different while many are just crazy expensive. $1500 for a 1968 Cessna 172 arm rest? :rolleyes:

I have a genetic condition that can cause complications in some people. It has never affected me at all other than cosmetically. Still, the FAA required me to get MRIs to prove I was ok. The first quote for this from a local diagnostic clinic with me paying cash was $24,000. :yikes:

I have a home in the Czech Republic where I could have had them for under $300 but the FAA would not accept a foreign MRI. (I wonder if they know that the MRI machine is made in South Korea?)

I ended up negotiating with the hospital that my brother works at (he is an ER doc) to get the cost down to about $1,000... plus a neurologist to read the scans as they would not accept the radiologist reading. All in all I paid about $2,000 and about 4-6 weeks of running around to get my medical. In my view this was a giant waste of time and money.

Last edited:
I have a genetic condition that can cause complications in some people. It has never affected me at all other than cosmetically. Still, the FAA required me to get MRIs to prove I was ok. The first quote for this from a local diagnostic clinic with me paying cash was $24,000. :yikes:

I have a home in the Czech Republic where I could have had them for $300 but the FAA would not accept a foreign MRI (don't tell them that the MRI machine is made in South Korea).

I ended up negotiating with the hospital that my brother works at (he is an ER doc) to get the cost down to about $1,000... plus a neurologist to read the scans as they would not accept the radiologist reading. All in all I paid about $2,000 and about 4-6 weeks of running around to get my medical. In my view this was a giant waste of time and money.

To fly a family sedan non-commercially? It was.

It took me a couple of years, a lot of doctor visits and a special flight test with the FAA to get a 3rd class medical along with a SODA and an SI, for a condition that has been documented stable since 2001. Now, every November I have to go to two different doctors to gather up test results and doctor's statements to send to Oklahoma City and hope for another medical certificate (mine expires Jan 31st each year). It would be nice to get a break.

I have a home in the Czech Republic where I could have had them for under $300 but the FAA would not accept a foreign MRI. (I wonder if they know that the MRI machine is made in South Korea?)

That's pretty funny since so many films are read in Bangalore.

Now this is some good stuff from the AP/BI article:
An investigation revealed that Sorenson was being treated for hypertension, high cholesterol, a bladder obstruction, chronic pain, depression, anxiety, panic disorder, ADHD, insomnia and restless leg syndrome. Toxicology tests identified seven different medications in his bloodstream, including two considered to be sedating, one known to cause patients to fall asleep without warning and three controlled substances.

A third class can't fix stupid.

I can't recall a period between FAA medical exams where I DIDN'T become unfit to fly at some point.
:rolleyes2:

Back