What plane is right for me

Something to consider: the 206 engine I would say is so-so. They have issues.

The Malibu is also so-so on engine, but is much more comfortable and much faster. On the 220 mile trip, you won't care. On the 650 mile trip, you will. 650 miles is 3.5ish in a Malibu or Twin Cessna and 4.5 in the 206, which means a stop, which means 5-5.5. The Malibu will burn the same fuel as the 206 (roughly) for more speed.

If you're low time, the 206 is a decent place to start, but you will likely want to upgrade soon.

Well, as the OP I wanted to give an update on where I was. I took the wife to the flight school today and got her in the following. Bonanza G36, Cirrus SR22, Piper Saratoga, and a Cessna 182 as there was no 206 on hand to sit in. After sitting in all of them in both front and back, she gave the owner the go ahead to call the insurance company to see if we bought the 206, could we get insured to complete my training in that plane. The insurance agent said absolutely she could get us insured and explained it would be expensive until IFR rating and hours were built up but would still be better than buying a 182 now and trading in on a 206 later when taking into account inspections, use, etc.... As we left the hangar, she gave the owner the go ahead to find us a gently used Cessna 206h turbo to purchase asap. Woohoo. We went to lunch and celebrated. While we don't own anything yet, it was a big step getting to the final selection phase. Thanks for all of your input.

Nice. You can't go wrong with a 206.

Well, as the OP I wanted to give an update on where I was. I took the wife to the flight school today and got her in the following. Bonanza G36, Cirrus SR22, Piper Saratoga, and a Cessna 182 as there was no 206 on hand to sit in. After sitting in all of them in both front and back, she gave the owner the go ahead to call the insurance company to see if we bought the 206, could we get insured to complete my training in that plane. The insurance agent said absolutely she could get us insured and explained it would be expensive until IFR rating and hours were built up but would still be better than buying a 182 now and trading in on a 206 later when taking into account inspections, use, etc.... As we left the hangar, she gave the owner the go ahead to find us a gently used Cessna 206h turbo to purchase asap. Woohoo. We went to lunch and celebrated. While we don't own anything yet, it was a big step getting to the final selection phase. Thanks for all of your input.

wow, awesome wife. I was guessing she would pick the SR22. What made her pick the 206?

Do you really need turbo? Its more expensive to buy and more costly to run. They have problems on a regular basis. Their real adavantage is to go fast up high, where you need oxygen. So to get the full benefit, you will need an oxygen system and have to use it.

While I think he'll eventually want a twin, it'll be a Twin Cessna or a turboprop.
Agree. For what you'd pay for a 'gently used' 206H, you could buy an absolutely primo 310 (ie minimal maintenance cost to keep in good shape) AND have plenty of gas money for a few years.

Be a pioneer, get a good 182 and install the STC'd supercharger from forced aeromotive.

Oops, I missed the post saying you got a 206.... :yesnod:

latest

Last edited:
The 206H was delivered today and the wife and I love it. We are going to put in my name and we are residents in Alabama. We have a small condo in Florida. Are there any tax benefits in registering in Florida vs alabama?

The 206H was delivered today and the wife and I love it. We are going to put in my name and we are residents in Alabama. We have a small condo in Florida. Are there any tax benefits in registering in Florida vs alabama?

Register it where it is based the majority of the time. Florida has gotten more aggressive in enforcing their sales tax on aircraft that have a 'nexus' to the state, e.g. an owner who is a FL resident and a substantial presence in the state.

What are the sales tax rates in both states ?

Does either state collect personal property tax on aircraft ? What is the mechanism ? Some states only collect the Tax on a plane present in the state on a certain day, some owners play games with that.

Last question! Does anyone know how much Cessna would come off list as a standard? It is a demo with 56 hours. Would be sold as new but I'm guessing there is a standard range that I could shoot for. Want to make offer tomorrow.

Last question! Does anyone know how much Cessna would come off list as a standard? It is a demo with 56 hours. Would be sold as new but I'm guessing there is a standard range that I could shoot for. Want to make offer tomorrow.
Hi. Just to touch base, how is your C206 going? Are you and your family enjoing it?

I don't know where mulligan is in the process, I'm at the beginning and don't even know if I will get my PPL (though in my heart I know I will) and it is way too early to begin thinking about my own aircraft...yet..this is a great thread. I have been wondering if I made the right choice to go GA PPL, and it all depends on if my wife thinks flying is ok. Also that I have enough confidence in my abilities to take passengers, specially those o love up in a plane and trust me with it. Guess I'll find out.

Edite to add: Forget the rest, it's a done deal and sounds like it all worked out really well! Congrats!

But to mulligan, I'm a newbie here, but I am very experienced in music, and in the music forums we often get people asking what kind of guitar/effects/amp they should get with minimal information.
The thing is, (don't let my musician friends hear that I said this but...) a guitar or amp is not as important as making the right airplane choice, just the expense alone is many times what it is for most music equipment, and also they often think they are giving a lot of info, when in reality it is not much and not enough to enable the really experienced folk to share their wisdom. Also, just like here, there will not ever be a consensus, but if you really spent some time to lay out all the details, I'm sure they could help you more in getting the right information to make a great decision.

Just a suggestion, I'm learning a lot just reading the answers to your post. Thanks for that!

I'm not sure leasing is an option here in Norway where I am living. The prices and amount one can expect to haggle down also probably are different, but it's still great information. Thanks all!

Last edited:
Hi. Just to touch base, how is your C206 going? Are you and your family enjoing it?

Just flew it today from KBHM to KBTR. Love it. Made the IFR check ride a breeze. Has plenty of room for the family and a few light bags depending on distance and fuel needed. I carry one passenger way more then 4 but it's great to have it when you need it. Definitely recommend flying in one to see how yo like it.

Just flew it today from KBHM to KBTR. Love it. Made the IFR check ride a breeze. Has plenty of room for the family and a few light bags depending on distance and fuel needed. I carry one passenger way more then 4 but it's great to have it when you need it. Definitely recommend flying in one to see how yo like it.
What's your speed and fuel burn?

I'm jealous

Awesome. Looks like you found the right plane.

Just out of curiosity. Percentage wise, how much did you manage to get out of Cessna for the 'demonstrator'?

Back