Avionics - Sales Tax??

JC150

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JC150
I heard in certain states such as Florida and Ohio you don't have to pay sales tax for avionics work; and in some states like Georgia, if your aircraft is registered out of state you are also exempt from sales tax. Does anyone have a complete list of states that are like this and don't require the owner to pay sales tax?

Also, if anyone has ever done a new metal panel in their aircraft, could you recommend a good place to have that done?

So far we have:

Alaska
Colorado
Delaware
Florida
Georgia (for out of state aircraft, labor is only exempt)
Idaho
Indiana
Kansas
Maine
Minnesota
Montana
Nevada (but shop has to pay 2% that they might put on the customer)
New Hampshire
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania

Last edited:
I don't know all states but Nevada has no tax for the customer on avionics... though the shop has to pay 2% (instead of the customer paying 7.75%) so they tend to mark it up to cover that 2%.

No Maine Sales Tax up here re aviation Service; not certain about the outright PURCHASE of avionics, though I'm assuming when purchasing, the Service & Maintenance factor would apply.

HR

For the new panel overlay, check in with Trevor at TechAero here in Denton (Denton Enterprise Airport, 2080 Skylane, Denton, TX 76207, (940) 387-6637)

The one he did for the club's 1968 Bonanza V35 turned out very nice!

Attachments

• Bo panel.jpeg
    Bo panel.jpeg
    686.1 KB · Views: 53
I heard in certain states such as Florida and Ohio you don't have to pay sales tax for avionics work; and in some states like Georgia, if your aircraft is registered out of state you are also exempt from sales tax. Does anyone have a complete list of states that are like this and don't require the owner to pay sales tax?

Also, if anyone has ever done a new metal panel in their aircraft, could you recommend a good place to have that done?

There are a variety of states that have sales tax exemptions for certain parts and uses. If you list a few states you are considering, I can pull the data for you.

Is there a chance that your state will come after you for the use tax that you owe for getting the work done out of state? I know this has been an issue with the outright purchase of aircraft.

There are a variety of states that have sales tax exemptions for certain parts and uses. If you list a few states you are considering, I can pull the data for you.

I'm considering anything from Florida to Virginia, and as far west as Indiana.

My goal of this thread was to compile a listing for people in the future who have been searching for something similar as well.

Aviation Classics at Reno/Stead did an excellent job on my panel, no tax in Nevada either.

NH is sales tax free.

I 10000% agree with just taking your business to a state that wants your business.

Does anyone know if Pennsylvania is exempt?

Arkansas bleeds you for 9% across the board. If I would have looked into it further, I would have flown out of state for my GDL88 install.

Minnesota passed a law excluding virtually all aircraft parts and maintenance from sales tax. This definitely applies to avionics.

NH is sales tax free.

I 10000% agree with just taking your business to a state that wants your business.

There is one negative to this. I find that the ability to pop into the shop twice a week to look at the progress helps keep steady progress on your project, and as the bread and butter in and out repairs roll in, the guys get taken off the projects of the guys who call every week or two.

New York will charge you sales tax, and then charge you sales tax on the sales tax for good measure.:dunno:

Does anyone know if Pennsylvania is exempt?

PA is now exempt from taxes on aviation related services. Was passed about a year ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back