PIREP on Citizen Skyhawk Watch

drgwentzel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kobra
Flyers,

I bought a Citizen Skyhawk watch in 2012 and I have to admit I never wear it.

1) It's bulky, at least on my wrist. I notice these watches look really good on someone with an average to stout wrist, but I'm thinner and it just doesn't look that great on me.

2) The good news is it's really packed with a lot of features!

3) The bad news is it's really packed with a lot of features!

It has a lot of functions and an E6B, but most of the features requires the manual to figure out. I need the manual just to set the time!

4) I love that I can set a second time display digitally for Zulu (or any time zone) and it lights up to read it in the dark. The bad news is that it seems every time I need to read the digital display, the minute hand is always blocking my view! :mad2:

5) I have many watches and when I dress I look at all of them and consider style and function for what I am doing that day, and even if I am flying or instructing, I rarely pick this watch.

Any thoughts on good aviation style watches...I really want a watch that is stylish and will display both local and Zulu time, and can be read during the day or night easily. That's all I ask and I'd prefer that it is under 600 dollars.

If anyone wants this watch here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/331707800608? I also put it in the classified area as well.

Gene

Wow, you are really pushing this thing hard. You should start a thread in every section!! Drug problems? Hahaha j/k nice looking watch

I have just started to explore getting a new watch. Luminox seems to be what I keep coming back to. They have some with an extra hand to display UTC. I just haven't had my hands on one yet and I would really like to see one before I buy.

Not a citizen fan. I had one and chipped the crystal in the first week. I'm going Breitling next.

I've got one I've been wearing since Christmas 2008. I like the ease of changing time zones. Very handy when you travel a lot.

I need to get mine in for service. One of the buttons for setting it has pretty much jammed and it makes it really difficult to change time zones.

Bottom line - I like mine. Great gift from my wonderful wife.

I've got one I've been wearing since Christmas 2008. I like the ease of changing time zones. Very handy when you travel a lot.

I need to get mine in for service. One of the buttons for setting it has pretty much jammed and it makes it really difficult to change time zones.

Seconded. I've had mine since 2011 and rarely go a day without wearing it. I really love it, so definitely buy it if you don't mind the size!

...this gave me a belly laugh! :)

Haha me as well.

Third it. I wear mine every day. I love the atomic time keeping. Always on time to the second, even changes automatically for daylight savings time. I think that it is the bestwatch that I have ever had.

I bought a used citizen Skyhawk last year and basically never take it off. I wear it working, flying, turning wrenches, drywall, painting, whatever. It's tough as hell imo.

As to the button mine was a used eBay purchase and I had problems with basically every part of it sticking when I got it. I filled a cup with really hot water, added some dish soap, and soaked the watch for a few hours. Has worked flawlessly since. YMMV.

Flyers,

I bought a Citizen Skyhawk watch in 2012 and I have to admit I never wear it.

1) It's bulky, at least on my wrist. I notice these watches look really good on someone with an average to stout wrist, but I'm thinner and it just doesn't look that great on me.

2) The good news is it's really packed with a lot of features!

3) The bad news is it's really packed with a lot of features!

It has a lot of functions and an E6B, but most of the features requires the manual to figure out. I need the manual just to set the time!

4) I love that I can set a second time display digitally for Zulu (or any time zone) and it lights up to read it in the dark. The bad news is that it seems every time I need to read the digital display, the minute hand is always blocking my view! :mad2:

5) I have many watches and when I dress I look at all of them and consider style and function for what I am doing that day, and even if I am flying or instructing, I rarely pick this watch.

Any thoughts on good aviation style watches...I really want a watch that is stylish and will display both local and Zulu time, and can be read during the day or night easily. That's all I ask and I'd prefer that it is under 600 dollars.

If anyone wants this watch here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/331707800608? I also put it in the classified area as well.

Gene

They attract women with big breasts and loose morals.

Owned Various Citizen watches. I have a Citizen Black Eagle and worn it since 2008. Rarely take it off and use the E-6B function a lot. Can't say I attract women with big breasts and loose morals with it but it's a good pilot watch.

I like mine but the changing of features doesn't work anymore (pull out the adjustment knob halfway and rotate and ... Nothing). Also my band broke. I need to get it fixed, but I do like the slide rule on there. Or should I say the rotate rule.

I've been wanting one of these for a while, I just haven't gotten one yet. They look like great watches and it would likely end up being the watch I wear the most.

I'm not much of a fancy watch guy, but this one, once they added the ability to set itself, is on the short list if I decide to waste money on one.

If a watch doesn't set itself from WWV or GPS, I don't want it. I've slowly eradicated all the clocks that I can in the house that don't do it, too. Setting a clock when there's multiple public free wireless time sync source available, is a waste of ... time. Seriously. Time.

I haven't worn a watch in at least 10 years. There's seldom a time or place when I don't have at least two time telling devices in sight.

I've never liked wearing watches or jewelry. I'm not sure why, maybe I'm just too lazy to put them on in the mornings? I look at some of these nice watches and they do seem neat, but I always have to remind myself that I know I'm not going to wear it. Being a tech guy, the Garmin D2 or Android watches seem like something I would enjoy, but I've held off on even those because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't reliably wear them.

Last edited:
Flyers,

Gene

I've seen these advertised, don't know anything about them though:

https://www.torgoen.com

I haven't worn a watch in at least 10 years. There's seldom a time or place when I don't have at least two time telling devices in sight.

Phone, tablet, clock on wall, wife....

At least half the pilots at my old airline had one, including me.

Heh. I can't decide if that's a good review of the thing, or if it's just a hint of the stereotypes being true, and similar mentalities of pilots.

Big watch syndrome. LOL.

Owned Various Citizen watches. I have a Citizen Black Eagle and worn it since 2008. Rarely take it off and use the E-6B function a lot. Can't say I attract women with big breasts and loose morals with it but it's a good pilot watch.

You must be doing something wrong. :yes:

:D

As to the button mine was a used eBay purchase and I had problems with basically every part of it sticking when I got it. I filled a cup with really hot water, added some dish soap, and soaked the watch for a few hours. Has worked flawlessly since. YMMV.

I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks.

Back