Cirrus down Colorado Springs, no survivors

pikespeakmtnman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
n/a
m.krdo.com/news/deaths-confirmed-in-small-plane-crash-near-colorado-springs-airport/36344490

RIP

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Ugh -- Never like hearing that news. Sad. From the LiveATC clip, he reported engine problems and requested to "turn around". RIP. :(

How far is that from the airport?

Another horrible story. Thoughts go out to the family.

So many fields and so few compelling reasons to try to turn around, if that's what happened. :(

Re: KCOS Cirrus SR22 Fatal

Didn't or couldn't pull the chute, it would appear.

Hmm, interesting one, the report quoted witnesses but no mention of "the engine didn't sound right/stalled". Do we know where he was from and if it was turboed?

Hmm, interesting one, the report quoted witnesses but no mention of "the engine didn't sound right/stalled". Do we know where he was from and if it was turboed?

I thought I read where he reported engine trouble

35L not so much, but not worse.

35L is only 11,000 feet long with another couple thousand feet clear. Turn 90 degrees and it's flat land....

Not going to say anything other than a bad day that may have been preventable...

35L is only 11,000 feet long with another couple thousand feet clear. Turn 90 degrees and it's flat land....

Not going to say anything other than a bad day that may have been preventable...

Been a long time, I remembered the right being clear off the end, and left not so much. Either way, it didn't end well.

Been a long time, I remembered the right being clear off the end, and left not so much. Either way, it didn't end well.

Peterson is on the north end and it gets more congested all the time. There is nothing out east if the turn can be made.

location of the crash site

my drive home took my past this, he went down in the field between Stewart Ave and Don's Garden SHop/Hwy 24...it's pretty eerie seeing all the red and blues flashing in an otherwise pitch black field

if he had much of a choice, i think he picked the best available option

So sad and scary at the same time. I fly Cirrus regularly and my main concern on takeoff is to get to 400 AGL as soon as possible to be able to deploy CAPS in case of engine failure. I want to believe that the pilot was bellow that altitude and that is why he decided not to pull the chute. May Gd bless their families. I am currently in the process of getting my commercial rating just for the sake of learning more skills, but right after I get that done I will hire a good CFI and do some additional emergency training.

Really sorry to hear about this :(

Condolences to the family and those who knew the pilot and passenger.

For the rest of us, REVIEW and PRACTICE your emergency procedures. This brings home yet again this can happen to any one of us.

Always a bummer. Seems to support the case for being trigger happy with CAPS.

For the rest of us, REVIEW and PRACTICE your emergency procedures. This brings home yet again this can happen to any one of us.

Training and preparation is the key to surviving many unexpected situations and emergencies.

I often wonder with a situation like an engine out which should be a very survivable event...or any other emergency for that matter... how many fatalities are attributed to pilot incapacitation due to fear or freaking out and the inability to process information to make rational and safe decisions? We will never know cuz they are gone.

I have had an engine sputter on takeoff which evoked emotion that I certainly was not expecting...but I was fully prepared to NOT turn back to the airport while looking for options (made it back under power and was a non-event)

Never been in that true life or death situation and not looking to arm chair quarterback any actions...but I am also baffled by people that can accidentally hit the gas in their car, freak out and in turn drive themselves full throttle into a brick wall (actually happened to a friend). I always wonder how many fatalities are that vs just a crappy set of circumstances and hope that not if...but WHEN that day comes for me I will be able to overcome those crappy circumstances alive.

Last edited:
Or train yourself to PUSH the nose down first when you lose the engine.

If you set Take Off Trim to be Best Glide (which lo and behold is pretty close to Vy) you don't need to push, when the power lets go, the nose will drop all on its own. What you have to train yourself to do is not pull back, and trim for BG on take off.

My condolences to the family and friends of the deceased. Damn.

Will keep a good thought for them.

The trim to best glide for take-off poster makes sense; when practicing the Impossible Turn, it jumped out at me how hard you have to push, even in a 172, as the airspeed decays real fast in the departure config, when you yank the power.

I kept chanting AOA, AOA AOA. Fly the wing, Dude, fly the wing.

This all goes back to the "impossible" turn which, as I said in the other thread, isn't actually impossible.

But when you make that split second decision you are all in, committed to making a maximum performance maneuver with very little elbow room. At the point where you see you're not quite going to make it the instinctive pull to try and nudge just a bit more out of it might be near impossible to resist. This has happened to seasoned, well trained pilots as much as to not so seasoned pilots and honestly I don't think an additional instrument or a pleasant recorded woman's voice calmly telling you that you are going "too slow" is going to make much difference at that point. You are on the edge, pushing the limit and it all happens in an instant.

Bob Hoover's advice on the matter is probably still the best:

Fly the airplane as far into the crash as possible.

This all goes back to the "impossible" turn which, as I said in the other thread, isn't actually impossible.

But when you make that split second decision you are all in, committed to making a maximum performance maneuver with very little elbow room. At the point where you see you're not quite going to make it the instinctive pull to try and nudge just a bit more out of it might be near impossible to resist. This has happened to seasoned, well trained pilots as much as to not so seasoned pilots and honestly I don't think an additional instrument or a pleasant recorded woman's voice calmly telling you that you are going "too slow" is going to make much difference at that point. You are on the edge, pushing the limit and it all happens in an instant.

Bob Hoover's advice on the matter is probably still the best:

Fly the airplane as far into the crash as possible.

I agree. I can imagine how tempting to just try and ease one more bit of pitch out of the plane could be.

In this case I would much rather he just pulled the handle and let people chime in on how many fields he had at his disposal to make an off field landing (assuming he had achieved needed altitude). Either way, here we are. :sad:

Back