C180 Crash Lynn Canal

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Don't know if posted, and don't know how to down load article. C-180 crashed north of Juneau Wednesday in Lynn Canal, 4 on board. 1 critically injured, 3 others with minor injuries. Engine quit, pilot made a mayday call that was heard by an Alaska Seaplanes pilot. He reported it. Cost Guard and a Temsco Helicopter transported victims to hospital. 5 foot seas,

Hope they all have a quick recovery.

That call prolly saved their lives!!!

Hope they all recover . Glad they got the May Day call off,and it was responded to.

Having flown The Lynn Canal hundreds of times, it is sure not the place I want to have an engine failure. That water is cold and deep. I know where every possible beach is to land on between Juneau and Haines. The article says the victims swam to Eldred Rock where an old Coast Guard light house is located. Still in use, but unmanned now.

http://www.adn.com/article/20151105/troopers-all-4-survivors-lynn-canal-plane-crash-haines

Very glad all survived.

I talked to a medevac pilot who works for the company that flew the critically injured woman from Juneau to Seattle for treatment.

He said the plane crashed about 200 yards from shore. Husband, wife and two children swam to shore. The husband had to go back and help the wife because she was having problems.

Her core temperature was critically low and she went into shock. The husband had to give her CPR. It took about 2 1/2 hours before they were rescued.

They are worried she may have suffered brain damage..

I sure hope there is a happy ending to the story. Hoping for the best.

The plane is in about 6oo feet of water. With the tide changes we have here and the currents in the canal, I don't think the NTSB will ever recover the plane.

Back