Pilot arrogance

Were you arrogant before or did you turn arrogant after becaming a pilot?

• Before

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • After

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • YES

Votes: 54 65.1%

• Total voters

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
Wife asked me: "were you arrogant before or did you turn arrogant after you became a pilot?"
I gave her the best answer I could. She still can't stop laughing.

So let's open the poll to the general pilot populace. :)

What was the answer you gave her?

It is in the poll. I am sure you can guess. :D

However, there were briefly no poll answers. (This board SW does not allow you to create the poll at the same time as the thread so you have to post the thread first, it becomes visible to the public and then you can finally add the answers)

There are several layers of arrogance,not sure the poll covers enough of the levels . Depends on your mood for the day and who your talking to,I would guess.

What if you are not arrogant? Silly poll!

When I look in the mirror, Chuck Norris looks back.

Unlike all of you other worms, my arrogance is earned, and deserved.

Baaaaaahahhahhahhahhhahahhaaaaaa!!

:rofl:

For the sake of passengers we need to ooze arrogance at the proper times.

Confidence would be a better word.

If the mill quits and you freak out, that helps no one.

I'm not arrogant, that's a personality flaw....and personality flaws are for losers. I'm a winner.

I was just a kid when I got my license, so I was too young and dumb not to be a bit arrogant. After I became a pilot I found out that I never had to grow up, so there I sit... (a little smarter and a LOT older but not much different)

I'm not arrogant, that's a personality flaw....and personality flaws are for losers. I'm a winner.

"Let's cut to the chase. There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don't look back 'cause they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep."

8f61e9bd7f9b08999aab475e96c5ec7e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I met plenty of cocky and arrogant pilots before I got my license and ratings. Vowed I would never be one of those guys and have stuck to it for over twenty years of being in aviation. Need another selection on the poll answers

There's nothing more obnoxious than a young, arrogant pilot. When some pimple-faced kid tries to tell me how to enter the pattern, it requires tremendous restraint to ignore him.:(

You have three poll answers to the original query with two answers?

After and Yes seem to be the response set for the question as posed.

I met plenty of cocky and arrogant pilots before I got my license and ratings. Vowed I would never be one of those guys and have stuck to it for over twenty years of being in aviation. Need another selection on the poll answers

+1. As a pilot, there really aren't many things to be "arrogant" (not even sure if the word is being correctly used here) or cocky about. There are about 15 billion "pilots" in this country, most of whom are pretty normal people. But then again, every FBO has "that guy" flying his 152 in cowboy boots who feels the need to tell the rest of us about "single pilot IFR" or whatever is supposedly hard in the world of GA.

Where is the "Like" button?

Why would you 'like' that? Women aren't objects to be married off to satisfy life dreams. Women's dreams should be things like life goals and such.

Turn it around and make the meme about him marrying her...what's the caption and how stupid does that sound?

"Living out every little boys dream...By growing up and being the Prince of a Country!

...hot chick included."

A woman (heck, even a girl) can BE a pilot. She need not aspire to marry one. Just like she need not aspire to marry anybody including a do nothing outdated symbol of a job with no say prince. The joke is flat on several levels. I 'dislike'.

Admitted into evidence:

Planes make noise.....some louder than others....whatcha gonna do...stay on the ground and polish your props??

**** people off....that's what we are privileged to do.....if you don't like it....get your PPL AND JOIN THE CROWD!!!! :yes:

Why would you 'like' that? Women aren't objects to be married off to satisfy life dreams. Women's dreams should be things like life goals and such.

Turn it around and make the meme about him marrying her...what's the caption and how stupid does that sound?

"Living out every little boys dream...By growing up and being the Prince of a Country!

...hot chick included."

A boys dream is growing up and becoming a pilot. Hot chick is a bonus.
A girls dream is growing up and becoming a pilot. Hot pilot hubby is a bonus.

Doesn't matter. I "like" it anyway.

Last edited:
Those of you who THINK they know it all really anger those of us that DO!
Now get off my lawn. Hang up the phone and drive. Have another burger fatboy!
Oh!?! Sorry. That's the curmugeon in me coming out.

Those of you who THINK they know it all really anger those of us that DO!
Now get off my lawn. Hang up the phone and drive. Have another burger fatboy!
Oh!?! Sorry. That's the curmugeon in me coming out.

You do curmudgeon pretty well! :D

David

I don't feel I am arrogant. Does that make me arrogant?

My definition of arrogant pilot is the group of F/A-18 pilots I got to sorta know when I was in the Navy. the EA-6B crews were more down to Earth. Mind set for the type of flying each does I realize.

David

Owwww, I got to arrogant the hell out of someone last week. We were diving off a wall in Cayman, and I got up close and a bit to personal with a green eel. He liked my scent a little too well.

Anyway, when we got back on the boat, one of the young ninny women who was diving on the boat with made some snide remark in a veddy, veddy Proper British accent, 'you know, if you don't wave your arms about so much, you'll not use up your air so quickly, and those about you won't worry for your safety."

So, I got out my PADI card, with Adv Open Water, Rescue, Wreck, Deep, Enriched, and Open water certs and said; "May I see your Master Open Water cert please?" Effing little, British scum turd said "oh, well I'm just an open water certified diver". To which I replied "I really wished you would have come over and distracted that 6 foot green eel for me." She STFU for the rest of the day.

I don't feel I am arrogant. Does that make me arrogant?

My definition of arrogant pilot is the group of F/A-18 pilots I got to sorta know when I was in the Navy. the EA-6B crews were more down to Earth. Mind set for the type of flying each does I realize.

David

whoa shot across the bow…….you must not have been around for Tomcats :)

Lots of arrogance here. Someone gets their PPL, and acknowledges it's a "license to learn". Six months and 50 hours later they are arguing with a 20,000 hour ATP about a procedure.

Seems to me everyone is taking this little poll a bit too seriously. I really doubt many guys on here (or most at the airports I hang out at) intend to be arrogant. It's just a stereotype that is fun to poke fun at (IMHO). Sure, there's always those one or two guys, but lighten up Francis, it's just a joke. :D

Seems to me everyone is taking this little poll a bit too seriously. I really doubt many guys on here (or most at the airports I hang out at) intend to be arrogant. It's just a stereotype that is fun to poke fun at (IMHO). Sure, there's always those one or two guys, but lighten up Francis, it's just a joke. :D

Hmmm, nice words. I particularly like your sig line.
:rofl:

Well, I didn't think I was arrogant till that one Sunday. I was flying from my home base in Michigan to our place in Florida. I had watched the weather lady on TV for the previous few days (CAVU and she has a great set of knockers ) At the FBO I checked the winds aloft and Notams/TFRs to leave an official trail of having been a responsible PIC.
There was a young fella there in the pilot lounge with a series of printout from DUATS and each was longer than he was tall and he had it all spread out on the counters, busily marking it up with magic marker and red pencil.
Sorry, he said, I ran the printer out of paper. Do you know where they keep the new rolls?
uuuh, no I don't. Are you planning a trip, I said eyeing the small forest he had just finished felling.
My cross country so I can take my check ride, he said proudly. Where are you going, he asked, eyeing the lone, yellow, 3x5 file card in my hand.
Uuuh, Florida, I admitted. He got all excited, bouncing up and down like a puppy. Can I see your flight plan?
In my arrogance and without thinking I held up the 3x5 yellow recipe card I had filched from the kitchen at home.
He stopped. He actually froze. Then without a word to me he spun around and grabbed up the armload of paper, wadding some of it under his chin, and marched out of the pilot lounge muttering under his breath.
God help me, I didn't know I was arrogant till then.

whoa shot across the bow…….you must not have been around for Tomcats :)

When the F-14s were around I was working intermediate level and repairing the ancient electronics from them. I wasn't in a Squadron at that time.

David

Back