RV-4 Down SE Nebraska, 2 Close Friends Dead

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Lost two very close friends yesterday morning.

We all met at an EAA breakfast Saturday morning in what was going to be a very busy flying day. Two big guys, 240 pounders each in an RV-4. We actually talked about them being at gross weight and possibly out of CG. He said the tail dragged 40 feet before the mains touched down when landing. After breakfast they went over to "buzz" the pilots brother's house and something went horribly wrong. Eye witnesses said the plane appeared to attempt a "wing over" and stalled. Unable to recover they impacted the ground near his brother's farm house. Official cause is unknown. The plane burned, both were killed instantly and burned beyond recognition.

We had planned on meeting at a friends hangar for his 80th birthday party for lunch in Lincoln, and dinner with the wives at a breast cancer fund raising event my wife and I were sponsoring for dinner later in the evening. Needless to say both events were tainted by the horrific loss of two good pilots and friends.

Both were very good guys, and leave loving families behind who are hurting. I will miss them both dearly.

There is a hole in the world tonight.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss,may they rest in peace.

I sorry for the loss Larry, I will be praying for the families.

Sorry Larry for your loss. When any pilot/passenger passes away tragically its a loss. When it's a friend, it makes it worse. Condolences to you, their friends and families.

Lost two very close friends yesterday morning.

We all met at an EAA breakfast Saturday morning in what was going to be a very busy flying day. Two big guys, 240 pounders each in an RV-4. We actually talked about them being at gross weight and possibly out of CG. He said the tail dragged 40 feet before the mains touched down when landing. After breakfast they went over to "buzz" the pilots brother's house and something went horribly wrong. They impacted the ground near his brother's farm house, evidently making a tight turn for the low level pass. Accelerated stall is suspected, official cause is unknown. The plane burned, both were killed instantly and burned beyond recognition.

We had planned on meeting at a friends hangar for his 80th birthday party for lunch in Lincoln, and dinner with the wives at a breast cancer fund raising event my wife and I were sponsoring for dinner later in the evening. Needless to say both events were tainted by the horrific loss of two good pilots and friends.

Both were very good guys, and leave loving families behind who are hurting. I will miss them both dearly.

There is a hole in the world tonight.
That's just awful. We will raise a glass to your friends this evening.

:(

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friends. Prayers sent.

Sorry for the loss. Clear sky and tailwinds to those lost.

So sorry and condolences , I've flown with them both they were great guys .

Sad, indeed. Thoughts and prayers for the family and friends.

So sorry and condolences , I've flown with them both they were great guys .

They really were great guys. They will be missed.

Thanks to all for your well wishes and condolences. What has become apparent to me is the devastation these accidents cause to the families and friends remaining.

Please be careful out there. Fly within your capabilities. If you are going to take risks at least fly solo.

Been a rough couple of days. :rolleyes2:

I am sorry for your loss. And I would give you my compliments for the thoughtfulness of your safety reminder.

What has become apparent to me is the devastation these accidents cause to the families and friends remaining

I'm very sorry for your loss and I hope everyone will take to heart the point you made. Be safe, everybody.

Sad deal. Certainly didn't make for a good weekend. I replied to probably a hundred texts and Facebook messages asking if I was alive and whether or not I lost an airplane.

Every time something like this happens locally it really damages the ability to create new pilots.

Really sad to see. My condolences to both friends and families.

They really were great guys. They will be missed.

Thanks to all for your well wishes and condolences. What has become apparent to me is the devastation these accidents cause to the families and friends remaining.

Please be careful out there. Fly within your capabilities. If you are going to take risks at least fly solo.

Been a rough couple of days. :rolleyes2:

Larry ... sorry to hear they were friends of yours. I didn't know them personally but knew who Jerry was when I saw the pic in the paper. I'd had a discussion with a couple people last week when I was up there and they indicated the possibility of over gross/out of rear CG. Too many times through the years pilots I've known have lost their lives doing what they loved. Everyone please be careful.

Roger

Back