Farewell Spin Zone...

WE ARE PILOTS THOUGH! Being able to accept change is what a pilot must be able to handle without question.

Without question? Hell no.

If I didn't question what my GS receiver was telling me Monday, I'd be a smoking hole in the ground. It grabbed and tracked a false glideslope 500 feet below the real one, during a best-forward-speed ILS at San Jose with a FedEx DC-10 behind me. That ILS flies over tall buildings in downtown San Jose.

Controllers have cleared me for takeoff with the runway blocked, vectored me toward clouds while VFR, pointed me at terrain during vectors-to-final and forgot about me, and many other things.

Pilots must be able to handle change, but not at all without question.

For the spin zone, that's one of those things that you prioritize away. Not important, like the door popping open on takeoff. OK, it's loud, but trivially survivable.

I don't see how receiving wrong information is the same as change.

I don't see how receiving wrong information is the same as change.

Well, when you're flying level intercepting a glideslope, and it tells you you're high, that's a change. When the information comes in, it changes the situation.

"Change" is a very broad word that can mean a lot of things. And in terms of what we are trained for as pilots, new information into the cockpit is the most frequently encountered form.

That far out, I knew the glideslope should have been a couple of dots above me, not below. So, I questioned it.

Well, when you're flying level intercepting a glideslope, and it tells you you're high, that's a change. When the information comes in, it changes the situation.

"Change" is a very broad word that can mean a lot of things. And in terms of what we are trained for as pilots, new information into the cockpit is the most frequently encountered form.

That far out, I knew the glideslope should have been a couple of dots above me, not below. So, I questioned it.

But you accepted the new information. Not that you accepted it was correct or adhered to it.

How about..Scum lake. We have a under water lake here in Mason County by Havana IL all the locals call Nigg#r lake. A few years ago they had a major flood there and this underwater lake flooded the town of Havana. All the major news stations came to this town. When people called this lake Nigg#r lake the news channels had a field day with it. Today they call it something else. To all the locals its still...Nigg#r lake. I have no idea why. But your post reminded me of..Nigg#r Lake...lol

Tony

P.S. When did Nigg#r become a bad word. Its a way of life nothing more. Comes in all different colors.

Wow. You kiss your Grand Wizard with that mouth?

I didn't do it, so no one else should enjoy it either. Put another way, if one doesn't do something, how would one miss it and why would one comment on it?

Sorry to be fractious, just how I see things. IBTL and all that.

Wow, we agree on something. :goofy:

I know what a n_gger is... they come in every color and it's always an unflattering term.

What I don't know is, What is an "under water lake"? Is that like an above ground sky?

Why does everyone have a problem with with the word nagger(s)?
Hell, I bet most of you married one.

Why does everyone have a problem with with the word nagger(s)?
Hell, I bet most of you married one.

naggers-o.gif

How about..Scum lake. We have a under water lake here in Mason County by Havana IL all the locals call Nigg#r lake. A few years ago they had a major flood there and this underwater lake flooded the town of Havana. All the major news stations came to this town. When people called this lake Nigg#r lake the news channels had a field day with it. Today they call it something else. To all the locals its still...Nigg#r lake. I have no idea why. But your post reminded me of..Nigg#r Lake...lol

Tony

P.S. When did Nigg#r become a bad word. Its a way of life nothing more. Comes in all different colors.
Not sure if this was a serious question or not. The real question is not 'when', but 'why'.

The answer is.....It is a word used to further dehumanize the only group of people on the planet who were TOTALLY robbed of their original identity... (names, languages, religions and culture).

To say "comes in all different colors" is an attempt to justify it's use, when in reality, it was never intended to be used for "all different colors". Yes, I'm fully aware that the brainwashing was so complete, that now some blacks think it's a term of endearment. So please don't throw that in my face, thank you.

http://www.aaregistry.org/historic_events/view/******-word-brief-history

"Over time, racial slurs have victimized all racial and ethnic groups; but no American group has endured as many racial nicknames as Blacks: coon, tom, savage, pickaninny, mammy, buck, samba, jigaboo, and buckwheat are some. Many of these slurs became fully traditional pseudo-scientific, literary, cinematic, and everyday distortions of African Americans. These caricatures, whether spoken, written, or reproduced in media and material objects, reflect the extent, the vast network, of anti-Black prejudice.

The word, ******, carries with it much of the hatred and disgust directed toward Black Africans and African Americans. Historically, ****** defined, limited, made fun of, and ridiculed all Blacks. It was a term of exclusion, a verbal reason for discrimination. Whether used as a noun, verb, or adjective, it strengthened the stereotype of the lazy, stupid, dirty, worthless nobody. No other American surname carries as much purposeful cruelty"

Date:
Sun, 1800-06-01
On this date, we look at the history of word “******” in America, a word that still sits at the center of anti-Black verbal distortions.

Last edited:
Not sure if this was a serious question or not. The real question is not 'when', but 'why'.

The answer is.....It is a word used to further dehumanize the only group of people on the planet who were TOTALLY robbed of their original identity... (names, languages, religions and culture).

To say "comes in all different colors" is an attempt to justify it's use, when in reality, it was never intended to be used for "all different colors". Yes, I'm fully aware that the brainwashing was so complete, that now some blacks think it's a term of endearment. So please don't throw that in my face, thank you.

http://www.aaregistry.org/historic_events/view/******-word-brief-history

"Over time, racial slurs have victimized all racial and ethnic groups; but no American group has endured as many racial nicknames as Blacks: coon, tom, savage, pickaninny, mammy, buck, samba, jigaboo, and buckwheat are some. Many of these slurs became fully traditional pseudo-scientific, literary, cinematic, and everyday distortions of African Americans. These caricatures, whether spoken, written, or reproduced in media and material objects, reflect the extent, the vast network, of anti-Black prejudice.

The word, ******, carries with it much of the hatred and disgust directed toward Black Africans and African Americans. Historically, ****** defined, limited, made fun of, and ridiculed all Blacks. It was a term of exclusion, a verbal reason for discrimination. Whether used as a noun, verb, or adjective, it strengthened the stereotype of the lazy, stupid, dirty, worthless nobody. No other American surname carries as much purposeful cruelty"

Note: The POA filter blocks access to the page, so you will need to type the word into the search window and click 'GO'.

Date:
Sun, 1800-06-01
On this date, we look at the history of word “******” in America, a word that still sits at the center of anti-Black verbal distortions.

Try this link: http://www.aaregistry.org/historic_events/view/******-word-brief-history

To say "comes in all different colors" is an attempt to justify it's use, when in reality, it was never intended to be used for "all different colors".

I agree. As I understand it, it's a slang version of the Spanish word for "black."

Why did the conversation take a turn about racial slurs?

You best start believing in trolls OP, they lurk among us.

If a post seems to be inappropriate enough that it bothers you and seems to violate one of the many PoA rules, you can click on the
report.gif
icon next to the post to report it to the moderators. Keep in mind that sometimes the post is up long enough that if it has a lingering effect even if later removed.

I don't recall if I've ever reported any posts, but I've come to the conclusion that it is always better to allow such posts to remain in the light of day so they can serve as warnings as to the poster's character.

Re: Farewell **** Zone...

Wow. :eek:
Its 2015 right?
I guess we don't disagree on everything.

That was a bad word when I was a kid in the '50s. We knew it was bad and got our ass kicked if we used it. Perhaps the latin origin wasn't particularly offensive, but the way it has been used since before slavery was abolished was.

I guess we don't disagree on everything.

That was a bad word when I was a kid in the '50s. We knew it was bad and got our ass kicked if we used it. Perhaps the latin origin wasn't particularly offensive, but the way it has been used since before slavery was abolished was.

It was a bad word, but now it has evolved in the younger people as a term of endearment. Meaning of words change in our culture. The N word is no different.

If a post seems to be inappropriate enough that it bothers you and seems to violate one of the many PoA rules, you can click on the
report.gif
icon next to the post to report it to the moderators. Keep in mind that sometimes the post is up long enough that if it has a lingering effect even if later removed.

I don't recall if I've ever reported any posts, but I've come to the conclusion that it is always better to allow such posts to remain in the light of day so they can serve as warnings as to the poster's character.

I have thick skin and can take a joke. The minute I got into aviation, I knew that I would be around the most wild, lewd, and offensive folks ever. Reporting is for pansies.

Reporting is for pansies.

I see you're kinda new here.

A while back a fellow came on here and said police should shoot their supervisors if they were ever given an illegal order. When I objected, he said I should be lined up along a ditch and shot as a traitor. He then went on to wish specific harm on forum member's children.

Whether we were dealing with a sick individual or a troll, some things need to be reported. I do it very rarely, and hopefully only when warranted.

Time and a place for everything.

A while back a fellow came on here and said police should shoot their supervisors if they were ever given an illegal order. When I objected, he said I should be lined up along a ditch and shot as a traitor. He then went on to wish specific harm on forum member's children.

Whether we were dealing with a sick individual or a troll, some things need to be reported. I do it very rarely, and hopefully only when warranted.

Agreed. I have zero tolerance for someone wishing harm on others.

I have thick skin and can take a joke. The minute I got into aviation, I knew that I would be around the most wild, lewd, and offensive folks ever. Reporting is for pansies.

How would you like to see my cock!!

453f0a1e25390a3bb4e7499e24526284.jpg

That's a good one, made me laugh.

Nobody would hold that against you Eddie.

Why can't everyone just get along? I mean we are all here for the same reason, because we love to fly! We should bond and stick together, not try to boost our own ego by belittling someone else.

I was making a point. The OP asked why we can't all get along. I told a story about a lake. I then stated I do not believe in the word " N#ggar" and why. I then get attacked.

The members of this forum displayed in writing why we can not get along. I told a story about a lake. I never named it. But hang me for mentioning it and why I do not believe in that word.

Tony

I was making a point. The OP asked why we can't all get along. I told a story about a lake. I then stated I do not believe in the word " N#ggar" and why. I then get attacked.

The members of this forum displayed in writing why we can not get along. I told a story about a lake. I never named it. But hang me for mentioning it and why I do not believe in that word.

Tony

Ahhhhhhhh ummmm I think it was less about the lake and more about a grown adult in 2015 saying: "P.S. When did Nigg#r become a bad word. Its a way of life nothing more. "

Having that question in this day and time is effed up.

Tony

Well, that's why we have language, to standardize the concepts behind the sound pattern. In communication what the speaker believes is irrelevant if it isn't in alignment with what the listener believes. The difficulty springs from the fact that it's nearly as versatile of a word as f***, so gets used in multiple connotations which may or may not be offensive. The lake was likely named ****** lake because it was the one blacks were allowed to swim and recreate in, and in that connotation would be offensive.

Ahhhhhhhh ummmm I think it was less about the lake and more about a grown adult in 2015 saying: "P.S. When did Nigg#r become a bad word. Its a way of life nothing more. "

Having that question in this day and time is effed up.

Or this "day and time" is just as "effed" up as every day and time in history but thinks it's better and smarter, without a single shred of evidence to back that idea.

Or this "day and time" is just as "effed" up as every day and time in history but thinks it's better and smarter, without a single shred of evidence to back that idea.

And loads of evidence that suggests entropy has set in.

Well, that's why we have language, to standardize the concepts behind the sound pattern. In communication what the speaker believes is irrelevant if it isn't in alignment with what the listener believes. The difficulty springs from the fact that it's nearly as versatile of a word as f***, so gets used in multiple connotations which may or may not be offensive. The lake was likely named ****** lake because it was the one blacks were allowed to swim and recreate in, and in that connotation would be offensive.

No the lake was not named because anyone swam in it. This is an underground aquifer that is so big it covers multi counties. It's only in Mason County in Havana and close by towns they have problems with this aquifer. A friend of mine lost a tractor to this aquifer. Its all sand in that area, when the water table rises it becomes quicksand. It took a D9 Cat to get my buddies Tractor back. It was completely gone or under ground by the time the D9 could get to it. They had to dig down to it to recover it. This was a huge tractor not some little yard tractor. Many farmers loose equipment when it rains for long periods of time in that area.
That aquifer always floods one field. The farmer tries to farm his land but its hopeless. I bet 100 bucks today there is water in that field. I saw that field maybe one month ago and it had water in it. Always does. just won't go away. I believe this is why the locals call it what they do. I never asked and I lived there 20 years.

Tony

Probably but I wasn't alive back then and as gross as it was people were raised into thinking that way (if I am to understand my older relatives correctly) . They didn't know no different.

We are passed that way of thinking.

But to your point it is always disguising regardless of the year

And loads of evidence that suggests entropy has set in.

Entropy by definition has always been there and in the same amount then and now. It doesn't increase over time just for your convenience to match your broken world view.

Probably but I wasn't alive back then and as gross as it was people were raised into thinking that way (if I am to understand my older relatives correctly) . They didn't know no different.

We are passed that way of thinking.

But to your point it is always disguising regardless of the year

Any time I see "we are past that way of thinking" I just look at history and chuckle. I'm
sure every civilization thought they were "above all that", right up until the second before they allowed their "leadership" to start another race-based genocide.

Not trying to Godwin the thread, but I'm sure there were Germans in the 1930s who believed with all their heart that they were moral, smart monkeys who'd never allow their government to murder millions systematically based on their religious beliefs.

They'd certainly never vote for THAT. Way too civilized and intelligent.

You name it. Pick any war in history. Even the Civil War here. "We're too civilized to be shooting neighbors, but they forced us to..."

It's a fool who thinks humans are truly above the built in tribal instincts. Politicians use it against rational people every day of the week to garner votes. "That other tribe is coming for you. Be afraid. Vote for me. I will fight them. Just give me the power to do it. Rationalize it by saying I'm 'representing' you."

It's "disgusting" right up until you think you'd be the target of an out of control force if you side with the target group. Then you'll just pretend it's not happening and get cozy with the out of control power until a larger power beats them down, or you'll join the resistance and risk your life.

The silly assertion that any particular group of humans is "above" anything, when looking at history, is nothing more than a platitude. See U.S. Japanese-American internment camps, for a modern enough example that your grandparents didn't put a stop to it. I'm sure they were "above" such behavior too.

Entropy by definition has always been there and in the same amount then and now. It doesn't increase over time just for your convenience to match your broken world view.

Any time I see "we are past that way of thinking" I just look at history and chuckle. I'm
sure every civilization thought they were "above all that", right up until the second before they allowed their "leadership" to start another race-based genocide.

Not trying to Godwin the thread, but I'm sure there were Germans in the 1930s who believed with all their heart that they were moral, smart monkeys who'd never allow their government to murder millions systematically based on their religious beliefs.

They'd certainly never vote for THAT. Way too civilized and intelligent.

You name it. Pick any war in history. Even the Civil War here. "We're too civilized to be shooting neighbors, but they forced us to..."

It's a fool who thinks humans are truly above the built in tribal instincts. Politicians use it against rational people every day of the week to garner votes. "That other tribe is coming for you. Be afraid. Vote for me. I will fight them. Just give me the power to do it. Rationalize it by saying I'm 'representing' you."

It's "disgusting" right up until you think you'd be the target of an out of control force if you side with the target group. Then you'll just pretend it's not happening and get cozy with the out of control power until a larger power beats them down, or you'll join the resistance and risk your life.

The silly assertion that any particular group of humans is "above" anything, when looking at history, is nothing more than a platitude. See U.S. Japanese-American internment camps, for a modern enough example that your grandparents didn't put a stop to it. I'm sure they were "above" such behavior too.

The point that needs to be realized is there is no particular group of humans, just a group of humans who collectively have a function, a job they need to evolve into fulfilling, and until they they become cooperative, never will manage. Cooperation from competition is an evolutionary step we have to choose to take in order for our species to progress any further. And it is about choice, that's the test of free will, in order to get the next evolutionary packet of information, we have to choose to accept the Terms of Service first lest we pollute the entire multiverse. Humanity is not a bunch of individuals serving their own cause, at least it's not meant to be. We also serve quantum functions, both productive and applicational; we create reality, we create creation, we create energy and information. We create the information and make the observations that make creation. When large concentrations of people are thinking the same information cooperatively, there is nothing mankind has not been able to accomplish. Unfortunately we only extend this level of effort to kill and destroy, which means to the rest of the multiverse we are worse than worthless, we are cancer. Fortunately the system design is self quarantining and self eradicating.

Where Einstein was hung up that kept him from understanding was indicated when he told Bohr, "God doesn't roll dice." Had he realized that Free Will means God can do nothing besides roll dice with every universe created, he would have figured it out. God injects the information to get going and a destination with a simple routing that if followed produces a good time and a productive universe. Through the process of evolution and development people have to think and contemplate and this creates new information along with the energy produced by thought. Free will is what allows us to create new information. We have chosen to go off design, that is the roll of the dice God takes with free will, but without it, we can never produce new useful information. That makes our existence meaningless and depressing; hence the state of mental health in our society.

Back