For the MC...

What exactly are you hoping to uncover or accomplish with these efforts?

I like to know who funds and controls the services I use a lot and what motivates them. I thought I'd share what I know in case others were curious. I had looked up some of the info a few years ago and don't recall whether I ever shared it then. It isn't like PoA management volunteers information on funding or who has legal control, though my informal requests for such info on this forum have yielded informal but presumably accurate responses.

I am amused that people think I am posting public information because I have some malevolent intent.

If conversations about the spin zone are to remain in the spin zone, where do people who DONT PARTICIPATE in the spin zone supposed to go to talk about the spin zone, or lack of spin zone?

Or is locking threads discussing the action supposed to be some sort of power trip by volunteer admins? Because really thats what it looks like.

I came here years ago from dying usenet groups at behest of Jay Honeck, who'd been a frequent contributor there for many years. I've gotten some value from this group, but you know what? Controlling pilots is like herding cats. I get that the perceived lack of civility is the reason for the demise of the spin zone. I left participation in that zone over a year ago and haven't missed it one bit.

However, whether you (the MC) give a rats ass or not, the MC's heavy handedness about discussion of the issue is a big turnoff. Being an admin is a thankless task. I've been one. But its kind of like being a cop.. there's some controversy that comes with the role that you have to accept, lest you risk overreacting.

I'm close to no longer participating in POA, not because of the spin zone closure but because of some of the annoying **** like this (locking threads unnecessarily)... I wonder how many others feel the same...

Its your server.. your system... your rules... and I get that... Thank you for the free use of your system to network with others, but I think if this sort of crap continues it will result in a decline in user activity. Including the users who bring value to the board.

I'm going to respectfully suggest that the MC take a chill pill. They've taken their vote and made their non-negotiable unanimous decision. I suggest they let it play out. Let people vent for a bit provided its civil. And let people network on a social networking site.

Or you can just lock threads and suspend users and flex that ban hammer.

Pick your battles....

Thank you! Well said! :yes:

When does laundry start being laundry? And when does it stop being laundry?

Does it become laundry immediately after wearing, or does it have to already be in the hamper before it becomes laundry? If so, then what if after being put in the hamper, the clothing is retrieved and worn again unwashed? Does it cease being laundry and revert to simply "clothing" at that point, or is it merely laundry that is being worn?

Does it become laundry only when it's dirty, or can clean clothing also be laundry? The etymology of the word "laundry" goes back to the Old French lavandier, which meant "one who washes linen." But if it's not dirty, then it doesn't need washing; so if, for example, you wash brand new clothing simply so you can dry it and get the wrinkles out (because you're too damn lazy to iron it), is it truly "laundry?" It's not being "washed" so much as just "wet," after all.

And what about the other perplexing question: When does laundry stop being laundry? After it's washed? Dried? Folded? placed in the laundry basket for the trip upstairs? Hung in a closet or placed in a dresser drawer? Or does it remain laundry until the next time it's worn?

These are some of the things I wonder about.

Rich

Shame on you Rich! You cannot discuss laundry here. Take it to the proper forum, but we as pilots have better things to do than to listen to your ramblings about dirty clothes. Oh wait......

;)

:D

Or it is registered with the IRS as a for-profit organization

Back then, however, there was no requirement whatsoever that a NFP organization apply for tax-exempt status.

I think I covered that possibility.

Long story short, there's nothing sinister going on here.
Not sinister, but I'm curious about the tax technicalities. I'm only somewhat familiar with for-profit corporations. If the service provider (or someone else) is subsidizing or contributing several thousand dollars a year in equivalent expenses, they might declare that on their federal return as a tax-deductible contribution. So the recipient would have to be a federally registered and approved non-profit. If the IRS treats PoA as a for-profit organization and the service provider is not treating their expenses as a non-taxable contribution, no problem.

Not sinister, but I'm curious about the tax technicalities. I'm only somewhat familiar with for-profit corporations. If the service provider (or someone else) is subsidizing or contributing several thousand dollars a year in equivalent expenses, they might declare that on their federal return as a tax-deductible contribution. So the recipient would have to be a federally registered and approved non-profit. If the IRS treats PoA as a for-profit organization and the service provider is not treating their expenses as a non-taxable contribution, no problem.

Meh. If I ever get a job working for the IRS, then I'll care. Until then, not so much.

Rich

Shame on you Rich! You cannot discuss laundry here. Take it to the proper forum, but we as pilots have better things to do than to listen to your ramblings about dirty clothes. Oh wait......

;)

I do have this habit of airing my dirty laundry in public...

CKn_oi4UAAIu_UW.jpg

Rich

But who cares? Who really cares? It is an internet forum for pilots. The uncompensated volunteers who created, underwrite, and operate the board decided to do away with SZ. So what? Are you going to hire private investigators to ferret out the reasons for their nefarious misdeed?

Man. Tempest in a teapot. The sun will rise tomorrow.

But who cares? Who really cares? It is an internet forum for pilots. The uncompensated volunteers who created, underwrite, and operate the board decided to do away with SZ. So what? Are you going to hire private investigators to ferret out the reasons for their nefarious misdeed?

Man. Tempest in a teapot. The sun will rise tomorrow.

Andrew, you miss the point

Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders, and Ben Carson are all behind this initiative to silence the people's first amendment right (but only the right/left are being silenced) to argue about politics on an Internet forum for pilots. The framers of the constitution clearly wrote that it "shall not be infringed".

Oh wait, none of that is true. So yeah, who cares?

I came here years ago from dying usenet groups at behest of Jay Honeck, who'd been a frequent contributor there for many years.

So, why exactly did you come here? Was it that the uncontrolled, heavily spammed, usenet forum drove so many people off that they left and never came back? Bertie the Bunyip ring a bell?

That's what a totally unmoderated forum looks like. For a while the MC was removing many, many spam messages a day (and some IP blocks that support spammers but no legit posters were blocked as a result)

I'm just curious why folks came here from Usenet and then complain about moderation that keeps folks like Bertie at bay?

(snip) I suggest they let it play out. Let people vent for a bit provided its civil. And let people network on a social networking site.

Or you can just lock threads and suspend users and flex that ban hammer.

Pick your battles....

I'm not on the MC, but it would seem to me that a) keeping this thread open, and b) having some MC members post in these threads indicates that they've been seen and that there is a fair amount of rope given to posters to "vent".

JMHO.

Last edited:
Are you going to hire private investigators to ferret out the reasons for their nefarious misdeed?

Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders, and Ben Carson are all behind this initiative to silence the people's first amendment right (but only the right/left are being silenced) to argue about politics on an Internet forum for pilots. The framers of the constitution clearly wrote that it "shall not be infringed".

Oh wait, none of that is true.

Paranoia is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion.[1] Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory, or beliefs of conspiracy concerning a perceived threat towards oneself (e.g. "Everyone is out to get me").

So, why exactly did you come here? Was it that the uncontrolled, heavily spammed, usenet forum drove so many people off that they left and never came back? Bertie the Bunyip ring a bell?

Not directed at me, but I'd like to take the opportunity to answer anyway.

I reluctantly migrated from Usenet, but only because (if I recall correctly) Bob Gardner, who had cred as a poster because of his books, started a stampede away from the piloting newsgroups when he said he was leaving for this board and I think also the Purple Board. The number of remaining posters there vs here pretty much made this forum more useful if I wanted to socialize with a reasonable-sized population.

I also recall hearing, prior to my eventual settling here, that some mayhem occurred regarding newcomers and the SZ. Don't know the details - just that there was some amusement raised on the Usenet groups from people still on both forums about the naivety of the emigrants thinking that their problems would somehow be left behind - rather than follow them.

Oddly, Dudley Henriques, who was a semi-permanent target of some Usenet trolls seemed to prefer Usenet over the web boards for quite a while after most had departed. But he has always been a humble but good man who accepted what he could not change and adapt accordingly. Good guy - I think he still posts on some of the aviation simulation web boards.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a solution, but the Purple Board still has the Mos Eisley section.

When does laundry start being laundry? And when does it stop being laundry?

Does it become laundry immediately after wearing, or does it have to already be in the hamper before it becomes laundry? If so, then what if after being put in the hamper, the clothing is retrieved and worn again unwashed? Does it cease being laundry and revert to simply "clothing" at that point, or is it merely laundry that is being worn?

Does it become laundry only when it's dirty, or can clean clothing also be laundry? The etymology of the word "laundry" goes back to the Old French lavandier, which meant "one who washes linen." But if it's not dirty, then it doesn't need washing; so if, for example, you wash brand new clothing simply so you can dry it and get the wrinkles out (because you're too damn lazy to iron it), is it truly "laundry?" It's not being "washed" so much as just "wet," after all.

And what about the other perplexing question: When does laundry stop being laundry? After it's washed? Dried? Folded? placed in the laundry basket for the trip upstairs? Hung in a closet or placed in a dresser drawer? Or does it remain laundry until the next time it's worn?

These are some of the things I wonder about.

Rich

;)

Maybe we should go back to discussing soup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIhRWV9zTIs

Back