Should PoA members be a reflection of the MC?

If the MC doesn't stop repressing me I will not renew my AOPA membership.:lol:

Wait, I'm not giving my Super D to my husband...

Remember the Henning has always said that he was a lesbian trapped in a man's body. Maybe he's doing the Kaitlin thing and offering a dowry...

Remember the Henning has always said that he was a lesbian trapped in a man's body. Maybe he's doing the Kaitlin thing and offering a dowry...

:rofl:

Skin Zone! Skin Zone!

I wish that I had a dollar for every time you predicted the demise of this board in response to an "MC injustice".

Age has muddled my memory - I don't recall such previous prognostications. If you find older posts by me that predict the demise of this board, I'll see about sending you a dollar for each one. But even in the post you quoted I tried to qualify my opinion. So I think you're up $0 - but you're a nice bloke who is helping me see my faults for my own good, so maybe I'll spot you $1 if you insist.

They are kind enough to give their time. That might should be enough?

Good people trying their best and making mistakes. Thank them for the effort, not the results, and try to get them away from the scene.

As someone who moderated 5 Usenet newsgroups for 15 years (I'm still the technical contact, but the groups are dead) I'm quite familiar with making mistakes and spending time and money and taking abuse for such uncompensated volunteer efforts. Now imagine vetting every post with antiquated software (Usenet had no globally accepted cancel/recall mechanism for posts once sent out.)

Anyway, rearranging forums in the expectation that that action will change human behavior doesn't have a lot of empirical support - at least in my very humble experience and opinion. I think that instead the MC will find it has to "pick up its game" in applying its many rules and then they'll see changes in posting behavior - though I think they may find they have too many rules. They only need one (again IMHO): The first goal they list "Show respect at all times." They are already using subjective and selective criteria in deciding when to take action anyway.

Limiting speech and subject matter did not make AOPA kind

If the MC doesn't stop repressing me I will not renew my AOPA membership.:lol:

Funny thing about mentions of AOPA: between the recent PoA rule changes (always ever more - never less, sigh) and eventual razing of the SZ, the PoA forum becomes ever more like the AOPA forum in the governing rules. An AOPA member may eventually find no great advantage to using PoA over AOPA forums.

Funny thing about mentions of AOPA: between the recent PoA rule changes (always ever more - never less, sigh) and eventual razing of the SZ, the PoA forum becomes ever more like the AOPA forum in the governing rules. An AOPA member may eventually find no great advantage to using PoA over AOPA forums.
Not really. AOPA takes money to not represent me. POA is free, someone keeps the lights on and POA amuses me.:yes:

Age has muddled my memory - I don't recall such previous prognostications. If you find older posts by me that predict the demise of this board, I'll see about sending you a dollar for each one. But even in the post you quoted I tried to qualify my opinion. So I think you're up $0 - but you're a nice bloke who is helping me see my faults for my own good, so maybe I'll spot you $1 if you insist.

Good people trying their best and making mistakes. Thank them for the effort, not the results, and try to get them away from the scene.

As someone who moderated 5 Usenet newsgroups for 15 years (I'm still the technical contact, but the groups are dead) I'm quite familiar with making mistakes and spending time and money and taking abuse for such uncompensated volunteer efforts. Now imagine vetting every post with antiquated software (Usenet had no globally accepted cancel/recall mechanism for posts once sent out.)

Anyway, rearranging forums in the expectation that that action will change human behavior doesn't have a lot of empirical support - at least in my very humble experience and opinion. I think that instead the MC will find it has to "pick up its game" in applying its many rules and then they'll see changes in posting behavior - though I think they may find they have too many rules. They only need one (again IMHO): The first goal they list "Show respect at all times." They are already using subjective and selective criteria in deciding when to take action anyway.

I'm seeing lots of parenthetical comments and qualifiers, and "everybody does it wrong except for me", and "I have all these qualifications and can do it bettter" comments here...

Who wants to wager that Jim Logajan is actually Zoom's POA user id? :yes: :rofl:

I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Speaking of camaraderie, I don't recall meeting you at any PoA fly ins - of course I've only been to 30 of them - not including the small get togethers.

Is one's in-person participation somehow more valuable or somehow more validating than their on-line participation?

Is one's in-person participation somehow more valuable or somehow more validating than their on-line participation?

Short answer: yes
Long answer: yes, and if it has to be explained it wouldn't be understood anyway.

I think so.
There are several people on POA that really rub me the wrong way.
In person, they rub me properly.

I'm seeing lots of parenthetical comments and qualifiers, and "everybody does it wrong except for me", and "I have all these qualifications and can do it bettter" comments here...

Who wants to wager that Jim Logajan is actually Zoom's POA user id? :yes: :rofl:

I really don't want to join this discussion (I never had any interest in the SZ and there are many threads I would have shut down sooner than they were), but I will say I have met Jim Logojan at a flyin (Shelter Cove, CA) and he is a nice guy. He is one of the rare people on this board that actually uses his real name as his user name. We here on the west coast have a hard time making it to back east flyins in our little bug smashers, though there are many POA participants here in the west (this is directed at Ed and his judgement of participation in officially sponsored flyins). Jim lives in Oregon and flys rentals. It would not be practical to fly a rental 172 to Gastons, but I can attest that he has made the effort to meet fellow PoAers. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I really don't want to join this discussion (I never had any interest in the SZ and there are many threads I would have shut down sooner than they were), but I will say I have met Jim Logojan at a flyin (Shelter Cove, CA) and he is a nice guy. He is one of the rare people on this board that actually uses his real name as his user name. We here on the west coast have a hard time making it to back east flyins in our little bug smashers, though there are many POA participants here in the west (this is directed at Ed and his judgement of participation in officially sponsored flyins). Jim lives in Oregon and flys rentals. It would not be practical to fly a rental 172 to Gastons, but I can attest that he has made the effort to meet fellow PoAers. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Yeah, I wasn't actually responding to Jim about the making Fly-In - I was addressing the guy from NJ who to the best of my knowledge I've never seen at Wings. So I apologize for how I originally worded that (or didn't quote the NJ guy) The west coasters do get a pass on all the east of the Rockies get togethers in my book, because, yeah, it is a long flight, and not really conducive for just a weekend gathering. Even having one in Denver isn't close for you guys, It's almost as far from SFO to DEN as it is from where I am in Michigan, and I know that's a hike.

But for those with the fly-ins in their relative back-yards that won't attend, that's not really attempting to being part of the community.

That makes 90% of POA. :yes:

According to your last poll, 90% seems high.
Granted the poll was not to keep or remove but based on the results from said poll, I would expect the 90% of POA claim to be a stretch

View Poll Results: Will Removing the Spin Zone Reduce or Increase Problems in Remaining Sections of PoA?
Reduce
bar2-l.gif
bar2.gif
bar2-r.gif
clear.gif
7 20.00%
Increase
bar3-l.gif
bar3.gif
bar3-r.gif
clear.gif
12 34.29%
About the same
bar4-l.gif
bar4.gif
bar4-r.gif
clear.gif
12 34.29%
Not sure, or no opinion
bar5-l.gif
bar5.gif
bar5-r.gif
clear.gif
4 11.43%

Just like the people who have never been in the SZ supporting it closing.

Well we who don't visit there support it closing because we see the effect of the spillover of all that negativity from there to here. It's like a pus filled boil. The MC are lancing it (thank you MC) and I went there long enough this morning to see that you have another forum you can go to now so really what is all the fuss about? Good bye SZ, see ya, I for one will not miss you. :lol: Those who will miss it... well you have a new one you can go to. Problem solved everyone should be happy now.

I neither support nor unsupport it. But it does spill over. Florida Cracker went bat**** crazy in Hangar Talk there for a while.

I'm sure he is a nice guy. And I apologize to Jim if my comment came across as a personal attack. I just found the writing style similar and couldn't resist, as we'd just discussed it over here.

Of course, if he's a fan of the other Jim (Zoom), then my comment was a compliment! :yes:

That poll was created in the Spin Zone. However, I believe it's true that the one I quoted was originally created outside it.

Back