Flying/living in Puerto Rico

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
I'm looking for information regarding flying to and staying in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Has anyone been there? Should I have any safety concerns?

My company asked me to deploy there for about a month. Normally I stay domestic and can I refuse this, but they are paying me a little more so I'm thinking of going out there. I've never been there and don't know much about it, thus I'm a little skeptical. Any recommendations will be more than welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't know about the flying, but having someone pay me to be in the Caribbean during winter would be awesome!

I don't know about the flying, but having someone pay me to be in the Caribbean during winter would be awesome!

I don't know how to break this to you Mike but there is no "winter" where you live...

I have been to San Juan on vacation. Very nice place. Easy in and out because it is an unincorporated territory of the United States. No Passport needed. Lots of US Business there. Go see what it is all about. You will have fun.

doesn't PR count as "domestic" ? It does at our company, no premium to work there

doesn't PR count as "domestic" ? It does at our company, no premium to work there

I think it is technically domestic, I just usually stick to the mainland.

If you do it, it might make a good bullet point on your resume that becomes a positive "Tell me more about your experience there" conversation with future employers.

I enjoy PR. One of the things I like is that it's much "less foreign" than non US territories in the Caribbean. That said, like many places, there are sections to avoid.

I enjoy PR. One of the things I like is that it's much "less foreign" than non US territories in the Caribbean. That said, like many places, there are sections to avoid.
from the standpoint of taking a holiday, the counterpoint is that going to PR you don't see any benefit from the strong USD

Back