Flew with a Garmin 496 w/ weather yesterday...

BonanzaDriver

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BonanzaDriver
What an amazing machine. Flew a 350 out of Dallas on Sat/sunday and it was remarkable to use. Cloud tops, precip intensity, convective activity, icing, etc.

What a great tool. Switch from aviation to auto maps in a flash. It also has XM radio for those long flights.

I think I might have to buy one :)

What an amazing machine. Flew a 350 out of Dallas on Sat/sunday and it was remarkable to use. Cloud tops, precip intensity, convective activity, icing, etc.

What a great tool. Switch from aviation to auto maps in a flash. It also has XM radio for those long flights.

I think I might have to buy one :)

Especially with that sometimes crappy FSS service.

Having all that info sure is nice isn't it. My wife just bought me one for my birthday last weekend. We used it to work our way around an air mass thunderstorm coming back from a breakfast flight. Saw it on Nexrad right after we lifted off while we were still 70 miles from it, let me formulate a plan early. Great tool!

Flew up to NH on Friday, used my 396 to dodge (widely spaced) storm cells. Worked like a charm. We were in clear air all the way.

On the way home Monday we flew through a cold front. The line of clouds matched up perfectly with the blue line on the 396. I thought it was super cool. My wife was less impressed.

Great technology.

Thank you for the post on the 396 been seriously thinking of buying one. But just wondering if the 496 is the way to go?? I would not need the terrain avoidence to much but thinking what the heck????
Used to have a storm scope in my Six but sold the Six and just have the 172 now and think it would be great tool in our travels.

Jon

Thank you for the post on the 396 been seriously thinking of buying one. But just wondering if the 496 is the way to go?? I would not need the terrain avoidence to much but thinking what the heck????
Used to have a storm scope in my Six but sold the Six and just have the 172 now and think it would be great tool in our travels.

Jon

The main differences between the 396 and the 496 are

1) the 496 includes all of the auto maps out of the box (it cost me $250+ to add them to my 396)
2) the 496 has a much faster refresh rate
3) the 496 includes all of the airport diagrams and pops up to help you taxi along once you land

If I had the choice, I'd upgrade. Though the 396 is a keeper if you find a good deal on one or the things listed above aren't important to you.

Last edited:
1) the 496 includes all of the auto maps out of the box (it cost me $250+ to add them to my 396
2) the 496 has a muchfaster refresh rate

These two were the clincher for me, not having to buy a data card, map CD, and download all that stuff to the 396. Just put the 496 into automotive mode, and way you go once you land!!!

If you're thinking about purchasing a 496, you might just want to wait to see what's announced at OSH this year since it's so close. The rumor mill is strong there will be another change like last year. If so, you will have a new choice and the price on existing Garmin units would come down.

Best,

Dave

If you're thinking about purchasing a 496, you might just want to wait to see what's announced at OSH this year since it's so close. The rumor mill is strong there will be another change like last year. If so, you will have a new choice and the price on existing Garmin units would come down.

Best,

Dave

I wish they'd come out with something that does what the 396 or 496 does sans weather. I've got XM on the MFD and while a portable wx display would be handy, I can't see paying two subscriptions.

I wish they'd come out with something that does what the 396 or 496 does sans weather. I've got XM on the MFD and while a portable wx display would be handy, I can't see paying two subscriptions.

A 296 is essentially a 396 minus the XM.

You could also buy the 496 and not hook up the external antenna (and not pay for the subscription).

A 296 is essentially a 396 minus the XM.

That's what I thought until I tried to hook up the audio output of my 296 to the airplane and found that it cannot be done. I specifically wanted audible terrain alerts, but that was added to the 396 and doesn't exist on the 296.

You could also buy the 496 and not hook up the external antenna (and not pay for the subscription).

Correct, but I'd rather buy a 396 without the XM receiver (which is about $300 of the cost) since I won't be using it.

That's what I thought until I tried to hook up the audio output of my 296 to the airplane and found that it cannot be done. I specifically wanted audible terrain alerts, but that was added to the 396 and doesn't exist on the 296.

Correct, but I'd rather buy a 396 without the XM receiver (which is about $300 of the cost) since I won't be using it.

Hmm, I guess I hadn't tried to use a 296 for audible alerts. That makes total sense.

You could always sell the antenna on eBay. There's a lot of places online that sell 'em for $190 or so. Garmin quit automatically including them on models like the Street Pilot 2820 so that the purchase price looks better, so chances are you could find a buyer.

You could always sell the antenna on eBay. There's a lot of places online that sell 'em for $190 or so. Garmin quit automatically including them on models like the Street Pilot 2820 so that the purchase price looks better, so chances are you could find a buyer.

Thanks for that info. I had wondered if there was any market for the XM "antenna" but though it would be limited to 396 owners who lost one or had one go bad.

Does anybody know of a howto for removing the big freaking magnet that comes in the older style XM antenna? When I get to close to the compass, as I'm putting it near the windshield, I see the compass swing and it always bothers me. Can I just pry it out?

I know to put it far enough away that it doesn't cause problems, but I'd rather just have it out of there.

Lance,

I understand not wanting to pay for two subscriptions. Though I do enjoy having the XM WX in the car as well as the plane.

Last road trip I went on with the wife, I plugged it in and saw a huge thunderstorm just about to cross the interstate ahead of us. We pulled over and enjoyed Dairy Queen. When we got back on the road everything was wet, but we were in the clear.

It made that trip much more enjoyable.

Jon

396 has terrain.

Does anybody know of a howto for removing the big freaking magnet that comes in the older style XM antenna? When I get to close to the compass, as I'm putting it near the windshield, I see the compass swing and it always bothers me. Can I just pry it out?

I know to put it far enough away that it doesn't cause problems, but I'd rather just have it out of there.

I saw instructions with pictures on a website somewhere, but after searching for a few minutes I couldn't turn it up. IIRC it's pretty simple but will void the warranty on the GXM-30. I think you just removed some screws in the bottom and you could pry the magnet out. YRMV.

I understand not wanting to pay for two subscriptions. Though I do enjoy having the XM WX in the car as well as the plane.

Jason,

If you have portable units there's no need to worry. You can either use one unit like the 496 with both functions, or you can keep the 496 in the plane and something like the aforementioned Street Pilot 2820 in your car and simply transfer the GXM 30(A) antenna back and forth. The guts of the radio are actually in the "antenna" so it's a single ID and you only need one subscription to use it with multiple units.

I've been thinking about doing this myself, but I'm waiting to see what comes out at OSH this year. :dunno:

mantakos said:
I'm yet to work up the nerve to do the surgery on mine. One of these days...
I guess today is one of these days, I just plucked the magnets out of my hockey puck. It was very easy, easier than the web page made it sound like. Maybe 15-20 minutes of slow careful prodding.

The only tricky part is prying out the little magnets themselves. Mine were just barely attached, maybe a tiny bit of glue, but they fit very snugly into their little homes, and it's not easy to get something in there to pry them out. It would help to have a very slim screw-driver, like something a jeweler would use, or one used to tighten eye-glasses. I had a very small screw-driver from an electronics toolkit, and it just barely was able to squeeze in. Expect to bend this tool a bit in this operation.
-harry

I guess today is one of these days, I just plucked the magnets out of my hockey puck. It was very easy, easier than the web page made it sound like. Maybe 15-20 minutes of slow careful prodding.

The only tricky part is prying out the little magnets themselves. Mine were just barely attached, maybe a tiny bit of glue, but they fit very snugly into their little homes, and it's not easy to get something in there to pry them out. It would help to have a very slim screw-driver, like something a jeweler would use, or one used to tighten eye-glasses. I had a very small screw-driver from an electronics toolkit, and it just barely was able to squeeze in. Expect to bend this tool a bit in this operation.
-harry

Heat might help weaken the glue if there's nothing that might melt. I can't remember if the base is metal or plastic.
:eek:

Best,

Dave

I've heard the 596 will be unveiled at OSH. It is supposed to be a 496 with Victor Airways added. I've also heard that the upgrade is a software function that can be added to a 496 if you already have one of those.

Best,

What needs to happen is for XM (and Garmin) to price a multi-receiver subscription plan. If you could add a second ID for $20 a month vs. $50...but I suppose that is way too easy to abuse...and these days we could count on it being abused.

I'm thinking I need to surrender within the next year and buy a 496 or 596 whatever. I hated the idea of paying $50 a month for something I only needed a few months a year.

I was also thinking that $2500 would better go toward putting a 430 in the plane, but that is way overdue for a technology refresh, too.

The way to justify it: if it keeps allows you to fly more often and saves you from just one T-storm encounter or other emergency where you could find a suitable divert airport fast, it earned its keep.

To paraphrase Bruce: When you have your life or your net worth on the line, it's a reasonable price for the insurance.

Unfortunately Garmin is aware of that value calculation.

Do they offer XM weather for either the 430 or 530? Just curious.

I wish Garmin would let loose a large screen GPS with weather, something with a screen about the size of the AvMap EKP IV.

What needs to happen is for XM (and Garmin) to price a multi-receiver subscription plan. If you could add a second ID for $20 a month vs. $50...but I suppose that is way too easy to abuse...and these days we could count on it being abused.

Yeah, I could go for that especially if I could do aviator lite on the second for half price with a full aviator subscription on the first. They do give a discount on multiple audio units and even one audio with one wx. Heck I'd be willing to swear on a stack of POHs that I'd never use both at the same time if I could get a break.

Do they offer XM weather for either the 430 or 530?
Garmin's GDL 69 unit can receive XM weather and display it on the 430 or 530.

Personally, I'm big on the 396/496 handhelds. The price differential between this and the panel-mount weather gear is so great that it's hard to rationalize the in-panel gear without a "using $20 bills to light my cigars" philosophy. Particularly if you feel (as I do) that a waas-capable GPS unit with internal battery that stays charged from ship's power is something you'd want to take with you any way.

I wish Garmin would let loose a large screen GPS with weather, something with a screen about the size of the AvMap EKP IV.
You can integrate the wxworx weather receiver (wxworx.com) with a variety of PDA and tablet hardware and software. I tried it with a PDA for a while, but _strongly_ prefer the 396. I've never found the need for a display larger than the 396 for weather display purposes (though a larger screen, like a tablet, is nice for use with flight planning software), but everybody's eyes vary (and I may change my mind in a few decades time!)
-harry

To paraphrase Bruce: When you have your life or your net worth on the line, it's a reasonable price for the insurance.

Unfortunately Garmin is aware of that value calculation.

Yup. Brent and I don't even have the plane yet, but we already bought and use (in the club planes) the 496. What price safety? Garmin knows...

Back