Motorcycle -- spend my money

That was very funny Tom. You showed a lot of nerve making that crack about the "idle" problem - you never know how the person might react!

RUB's .... the Left Coast is full of them.:yes:
But that's OK, the more the merrier (if they aren't idiots) - same as in aviation.

OK, bikers, my youngest is BEGGING me to get a motorcycle, and who am I to deny such a request?

2) Wife wants something that looks radical.

Well, I was at a show and saw a really cool bike that had a Chrysler V-10 in it...

Perhaps the police shouldn't attempt to pursue some unknown motorcycle further endangering the police officers life, the innocent bystander, and the motorcyclist. Because all of them will want to go faster and all of them will be on an adrenaline rush. I'm not justifying the motorcyclists actions--but I'm not awarding the police's either.

Well, just like bad pilots have caused the government to rethink loosening the ADIZ, irresponsible bike riders encourages political behavior to restrict the activity. The other shoe is cueing up: http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=1154314

"They are potential death machines in the wrong hands," says Delegate Bill Bronrott of Montgomery County. "I think we should look at the possibility of saying, 'Hey, these are only intended for recreational use and should be used on race courses rather than on public highways."

The police were doing their job. Let's place the real blame where it belongs: on the irresponsible biker.

Well, just like bad pilots have caused the government to rethink loosening the ADIZ, irresponsible bike riders encourages political behavior to restrict the activity. The other shoe is cueing up: http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=1154314

The police were doing their job. Let's place the real blame where it belongs: on the irresponsible biker.

Wow..that is scary that someone thinks that, but inevitable given how most sportbike riders ride.

Also Jesse...NO WAY am I letting you get away with that. All that happened from the moment the motorcyclist fled is 100% on the motorcyclist UNLESS you can prove gross negligence by the officer. Simply chasing is not evidence of such negligence.

I get sooooo sick of the "well just let them race away, let them go" mantra. It is the officers duty to enforce the law, it is the citizens duty to obey the law and to submit to law enforcement when they break the law.

All of that death and destruction could have been avoided if the motorcyclist had not run. Man your line of thinking is just so along the lines of "well if she had not dressed like a slut...."

+1. Hang the biker on this one.:yes:

Define sport bike. One with fairings? Great, take 'em off. Any in-line 4? The MD polico makes empty threats to get his name in the media.

I actually do think the cops should lay off speeding bikers, I really do. No police vehicle could come close to matching my 954, they only endanger themselves by trying. I would never run from the police, but I know what my bike can do. Cop chases me and wipes out it's his problem, not worth dying over a speeder. The law may not see it that way in some states, but I do. Hell, at freeway speed I don't always know what's behind me.

LEOs can set back, get on the radio, bring in a chopper if they have one. It just isn't worth that kind of risk just to bring in a traffic offender. They don't get him, too bad. Biker wins this round, they'll get him next time. Yah, the biker's dangerous, but far more to him or herself than anyone else.

maybe this will help the "Harley vs no Harley" ... saw it on another board today and figured it was a perfect fit to this discussion ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Horse, A Chicken and A Harley

On the farm lived a chicken and a horse, both of whom loved to play together.

One day the two were playing, when the horse fell into a bog and began to sink.

Scared for his life, the horse whinnied for the chicken to go get the farmer for help!

Off the chicken ran, back to the farm. Arriving at the farm, he searched and searched for the farmer, but to no avail, for he had gone to town with the only tractor.

Running around, the chicken spied the farmer's new Harley.

Finding the keys in the ignition, the chicken sped off with a length of rope hoping he still had time to save his friend's life.

Back at the bog, the horse was surprised, but happy, to see the chicken arrive on the shiny Harley, and he managed to get a hold of the loop of rope the chicken tossed to him

After tying the other end to the rear bumper of the farmer's bike, the chicken then drove slowly forward and, with the aid of the powerful bike, rescued the horse!

Happy and proud, the chicken rode the Harley back to the farmhouse, and the farmer was none the wiser when he returned.

The friendship between the two animals was cemented: Best Buddies, Best Pals.

A few weeks later, the chicken fell into a mud pit, and soon, he too, began to sink and cried out to the horse to save his life!

The horse thought a moment, walked over, and straddled the large puddle.

Looking underneath, he told the chicken to grab his hangy-down thing and he would then lift him out of the pit.

The chicken got a good grip, and the horse pulled him up and out, saving his life.

The moral of the story? (yep, you betcha, there IS a moral!)

"When You're Hung Like A Horse, You Don't Need A Harley To Pick Up Chicks"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great, this entire thread now has me jonesing for a Suzuki SV1000s again. Thanks guys. :rolleyes:

:D

Anthony, same here, making me want to go buy the bike I rode 20 years ago. Honda XL600R That thing would go anywhere. I wish I would have never sold it.

Honda%20XL600R%2083%20%202.jpg

Define sport bike. One with fairings? Great, take 'em off. Any in-line 4? The MD polico makes empty threats to get his name in the media.

I actually do think the cops should lay off speeding bikers, I really do. No police vehicle could come close to matching my 954, they only endanger themselves by trying. I would never run from the police, but I know what my bike can do. Cop chases me and wipes out it's his problem, not worth dying over a speeder. The law may not see it that way in some states, but I do. Hell, at freeway speed I don't always know what's behind me.

LEOs can set back, get on the radio, bring in a chopper if they have one. It just isn't worth that kind of risk just to bring in a traffic offender. They don't get him, too bad. Biker wins this round, they'll get him next time. Yah, the biker's dangerous, but far more to him or herself than anyone else.

Well, hell. Let's just disregard the law and race to keep from being caught, regardless of who we endanger. That clown may have caused a crash regardless of the cops. If you ride, just like if you fly or drive, you have certain responsibilities.

"What can I get away with".

And folks wonder why there are more and more restrictions.

As Bruce would say: Sigh.

I just bought a Honda Shadow Aero 750. Very nice, and under $7500, tax lic dealer prep and options. Previous rides were Honda CL-175, CB350, CB350/4 and CB500/4 ... the last being sold about 10 years ago after riding it for 20 years.

This one is my first new bike ever ... all the previous being "previously appreciated". ;-)

OK, bikers, my youngest is BEGGING me to get a motorcycle, and who am I to deny such a request?

I have about 200K miles riding experience, starting with two-banger Honda 450 and ending with a 1982 Honda V45 Magna, bought upon model's introduction and sold circa 1985. No riding since then to speak of.

Unfortunately, bikes seem to have specialized tremendously, and a "generic" motorcycle seems to be a thing of the past. Anyway, here's the list of demands:

1) Good road manners. The crotch rockets seem to be too closely geared. I don't want to spend all my time shifting.
2) Wife wants something that looks radical. Extra points for flames and/or bright colors.
3) Just say no to Harleys and Harley wannabes. No cruisers.
4) Extreme power/speed unimportant, but should be competent at highway speeds 2 up. Most use will be in-town, however.
5) New unimportant, but late model good.
6) Price under 10K.

Harley's tatoo removal device:

...which brings up another point. When buying the motorcycle, fork out the essential $800-1000 for all the proper crash gear which includes a full face helmet (none of that exposed face nonsense)
ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time)

1200GSA with the panniers and top box. :goofy:

I just forked over the money for the top box. Good lord, do they inject the aluminum with some rare, exotic material?

I don't have a 1200GSA - yet. It's way up near the top of my list of seriously needed toys. It's entirely possible I could have one sometime late next year. (Note to self: No test riding a 2008 GSA without first telling the bank manager that I'm not allowed for any reason to withdraw large amounts of funds until I can afford it)

IMO they just look wrong without the panniers and top box. Besides, you can't go on an adventure ride without a place to carry all your junk.

Hmmm... Maybe the Arctic Circle would be a good break in ride... :yes:

Well, I was at a show and saw a really cool bike that had a Chrysler V-10 in it...

I'll try and find the CD with the picture on it, but last year at OshKosh there was a Chopper with a Radial engine on it. I wonder whats lying around the hangar:rolleyes:

Also Jesse...NO WAY am I letting you get away with that. All that happened from the moment the motorcyclist fled is 100% on the motorcyclist UNLESS you can prove gross negligence by the officer. Simply chasing is not evidence of such negligence.

I get sooooo sick of the "well just let them race away, let them go" mantra. It is the officers duty to enforce the law, it is the citizens duty to obey the law and to submit to law enforcement when they break the law.

All of that death and destruction could have been avoided if the motorcyclist had not run. Man your line of thinking is just so along the lines of "well if she had not dressed like a slut...."

I'm not saying that it's OK for the rider to run. I'm not saying that it's not the riders fault. I'm saying one has to step back and look at the big picture. Is it worth putting my life, and the innocent bystander, on the line over a traffic citation?

I know plenty of departments that have a no pursuit policy over this kind of thing so I'm not the only one with these thoughts.

Speaking of motorcycles and speeding. I was moving at an almost legal speed on my Nighthawk yesterday. All of the sudden this guy on a Gold Wing with no helmet, shorts, and no shirt blazes by me. I glance at his windshield as he goes by and notices he has a radar detector. I jump in a somewhat lose formation behind him for a couple of miles. His pace was *way* faster then I like to maintain for any sort of distance so he was pulling from me. I noticed a merging Crown Vic coming onto the highway and I quickly jumped on my brakes and slipped into the traffic flow. The guy on the GoldWing was running triple digits and did not slow up at all. I couldn't help but laugh a little knowing the **** that guy was going to go through as the lights on the Crown Vic lit up.

Last edited:
The bike any aviator would be proud to park next to their airplane.:yes:

Attachments

• 100_1098.JPG
    100_1098.JPG
    806.2 KB · Views: 11
...I couldn't help but laugh a little knowing the **** that guy was going to go through as the lights on the Crown Vic lit up.
Ah, yes - you were suffering from that common ailment ... driver-tickle-itis!

I had a case of it myself the other day when a bozo in a mudder pickup came ripping down the road, cutting across three lanes of traffic and barely missing folks (including ME!!!:eek:). And about 30 seconds later, here came a cop, light bar ablaze! It was great!!! :D

Someone emailed a photo of that bike to me with the title, "What to do with those old engine parts..."

Dean...love the avatar!

I'll bet that things is pretty smooth running, but I can't quite see putting my leg and/or foot anywhere near the drive belt running from the engine crankshaft. Seems like there'd be some cylinder cooling issues too.

Here's a peculiar twist:
http://wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1156402

Prince George's police said at the time that it began when a county police officer pursued a speeding motorcyclist on the Outer Loop. But police now say they can't confirm that a pursuit took place.
and...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/01/AR2007060102333.html?nav=hcmodule

But Thursday and yesterday, police said they could not confirm a police chase. "We're not even calling it a pursuit," said Lt. April Delabrer of the public information office.
The department's pursuit policy says officers can engage in high-speed chases only if there is probable cause that the suspect was involved in the use of force or was involved in a hit-and-run accident that resulted in death or serious injury.

-harry

Last edited:

I have about 200K miles riding experience, starting with two-banger Honda 450 and ending with a 1982 Honda V45 Magna, bought upon model's introduction and sold circa 1985. No riding since then to speak of.

Unfortunately, bikes seem to have specialized tremendously, and a "generic" motorcycle seems to be a thing of the past. Anyway, here's the list of demands:

1) Good road manners. The crotch rockets seem to be too closely geared. I don't want to spend all my time shifting.
2) Wife wants something that looks radical. Extra points for flames and/or bright colors.
3) Just say no to Harleys and Harley wannabes. No cruisers.
4) Extreme power/speed unimportant, but should be competent at highway speeds 2 up. Most use will be in-town, however.
5) New unimportant, but late model good.
6) Price under 10K.

Just my opinion, but having ridden bikes since 1976 starting with a Honda CB360 and selling the Heritage Softail 3yrs ago, if I were to have another, it would be a BMW.

BMers are nice if money is no object, and they are built very, very well. On the other hand, I don't think there is a BMer that can outrun my Blade, so I'll stick to Hondas for now.

The new K12s is pretty damn fast though. 160 some HP, and it is pretty comfy by sportbike standards....

Pete

Yah, its a nice bike, but still over 100lbs heavier than mine with about the same power. Might give mine a run on a straight track but will get burned in the twisties. We'll see if they finally got the motor rght. The Honda engines are near bulletproof.

It's not about the speed; it's about style, class, and a good ride. Reminds me of the two bulls standing on the hill looking down at a field of cows. The young fast bull says "hey, let's run down there a screw one of those cows there in the field." The old seasoned bull says "nawww, lets just walk on down and screw em all.":D ;)

Yah, its a nice bike, but still over 100lbs heavier than mine with about the same power. Might give mine a run on a straight track but will get burned in the twisties.

Agreed. Speed isn't everything. Anyone can fly/ride fast in a straight line. Turns/slow flight separates the drivers from the pilots. High powered fast crotch rockets do not make good DS bikes.

It's always fun to come up on a high powered heavy zoomie bike that blew past you in the straight and casually sail past them in the twisties on something with 1/3rd the power. :rofl: On the twisties: Engine+Mass-Proficiency < Proficiency-Engine-Mass

The Honda engines are near bulletproof.

Tuff little buggers aren't they? :yes: You have to do something exceedingly stupid to hurt one.

Last edited:
It's not about the speed; it's about style, class, and a good ride.

Sorry Boss, but if its a Sportbike it's about speed and manueverability. The rest doesn't count for anything. You want comfort get a Wing, but don't expect to scream through the twisties.

Sorry Boss, but if its a Sportbike it's about speed and manueverability. The rest doesn't count for anything. You want comfort get a Wing, but don't expect to scream through the twisties.
Well, I don't know about Wings, but I've got a friend - 5'7", 160 lbs, (maybe) who rides a BMW LT (which I think is short for Light Truck). When the bmw campouts happen, and everyone goes for a ride, he's in the hot group, and is usually leading it. He can do 'bout anything on that ride.

I've had two BMWs - last one I rode up to OSH from NC a couple of years ago. It rode fine. They're good bikes. But it just seemed, dunno, soulless on the road. There's something about going cross-country (and I DON'T mean 51 nm!!) on a Harley that I just love. That's why the last harleys I've owned all had around 100K miles on 'em when I sold them! ;)

We are all brothers of two wheels but...

Harleys are the most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise
without the adverse side effect of horsepower!

Did you know 95% of all Harleys are still on the road?
The other 5% actually made it home.

Is it true that Harleys are chick magnets?
Yes, but only if the chick has a steel plate in her head.

What's the cheapest way to get another 50hp from your Harley?
Trade it in on a Suzuki.

Why don't Harley riders sit on their bikes when the side stand is down?
They're afraid to lean over that far.

What's the difference between a Harley and a Harley owner's home?
The Harley costs more and has fewer wheels.

How do you know you're riding a Harley?
While coming off an exit-ramp you get passed by a Vespa.

Why don't Harley riders wave at sportbike riders?
Because they don't want to drop their tools.

What do you call a group of Harley Owners with a collective IQ of 120?
Sturgis!

Why don't Harley owners smile?
Once you realized you got conned into paying $25,000 for an outdated piece
of $#!+, would YOU be smiling?

What's the difference between a Harley Davidson and a vacuum cleaner?
The location of the dirtbags.
The vacuum only sucks after you pug it in.

Why do Harleys have fringe?
So you can tell if they're moving.

How is a Harley Davidson like an old dog?
They both like to ride in the back of pickup trucks.

How do you know your Harley is handling great?
You can almost keep up with the logging trucks when you're riding in the canyons.

Why couldn't the Harley mechanic repair the doorknob?
Some things just can't be fixed with only a hammer and a rope.

What's the difference between a Harley taken to Daytona on a trailer and one that's being ridden there?
The one on the trailer is going about 30mph faster.

Why do all Harley owners have trailers??
So they can go around corners faster!

You know you're a Harley rider if:
You're unable to let your bike simply IDLE at a stop light.

You confuse the word "character" with the more accurate term "engineering flaws".

"Water cooled" means standing on the side of the road, in the rain, waiting for a wrecker.

Last edited:
Back