Steam plus GPS

Not sure how to classify it: Steam plus 430/530, but also have Sandel 3308 (which of late has been haphazardly switching heading by 180deg).

Lets see what eman1200 has access to:

Warrior = Steam + 530 + aera 510
Archer = Steam + 396
Cherokee = Steam + 430
Arrow = Steam + 430 + 496
Lance = Steam + 430

I kinda feel like garmin owes me a brand new 750. Garmin? Hello?!?

Or you busted your altitude by 1000 feet and didn't notice it. :D

Seriously, reading a number ain't that hard, but each to their own.

Keep in mind I suspect you are used to looking at a much larger presentation in the Bus.

Many of the GA displays like Aspen, tend to be much smaller.

Bob -- what are you trying to figure out? You will need to know who flys with glass alone to get the percentages. ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One side steam, one side glass

post-6-0-58710900-1364068792.jpg

I find it much faster to be able to glance at the angle of the airspeed needle to tell me an approximate speed rather than trying to read a number of a G1000 tape.

I am flying Steam and GPS (GTN 650).

Attachments

• 20150707_212000.jpg
    20150707_212000.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 32
You mean, like an altitude bug?

It's not that hard to use a PFD, but you have to know its features.

I agree. My dad's airplane has two 10" glass panels and the tapes are not hard to read at all. Being trained on steam, it took a short amount of time to be able to interpret the different presentation, but it was pretty quick.

Steam gauges, /U for IFR, Foreflight GPS for VFR nav. Not that you can get too lost in Northern California.

Me too, Same aircraft... C182P, CNX80, and round dials.

Whatcha got cooking in that creative mind of yours, Bob?

THE COMPLETE PRIVATE PILOT includes a cross-country to teach flight planning and flight plans. In the 12th edition, based on what I have learned from this thread, the imaginary airplane will have an (unspecified) GPS.

Bob

I agree. My dad's airplane has two 10" glass panels and the tapes are not hard to read at all. Being trained on steam, it took a short amount of time to be able to interpret the different presentation, but it was pretty quick.

I agree as well. I flew under IFR for 21 years before I switched my steam only plane to a glass cockpit. There was a transition period of weaning myself off of steam. For some reason the altimeter to altitude tape transition was easier than the ASI to airspeed tape. Now I find that I rarely look at the ASI but do look at the altimeter mainly to change the Kollsman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steam, Garmin 530W, Garmin 496 and adding GDL88 with FlightStream 210. iPad mini 3 with foreflight

8676648618_52e88f9ae7_z.jpg

Raises hand. Working toward finishing up my IR this steam 172... A GNS430W and EDM-700 are as fancy as my training has gotten so far.

verlLpH.jpg

Show of hands, please. How many of you are flying/training in a plane with steam gauges for flying and GPS for navigating?

Bob Gardner

We're a mixture, flying with a single Aspen and dual 430s. The full set of steam gauges is still there except for the gyro DG/HSI. If you treat the glass HSI as nothing more than an HSI then you can fly it as if it were a steam gauge plane.

I just don't think there's much of a market out there any more for pure steam gauge equipment without any sort of GPS, particularly if you're flying in complex airspace or doing a lot of cross countries.

I just don't think there's much of a market out there any more for pure steam gauge equipment without any sort of GPS, particularly if you're flying in complex airspace or doing a lot of cross countries.
I would have preferred my plane had an IFR certified GPS when I bought it, but it wasn't a deal breaker. The next plane I buy will have a GPS in it.

Show of hands, please. How many of you are flying/training in a plane with steam gauges for flying and GPS for navigating?

Bob Gardner

I have a GNS480 full up IFR but the six pack is relatively straight forward older stuff except that for heading I have a KCS55 HSI. It pretty much was what was state of the art 15 years ago when I redid my panel.

Steam, Garmin 530.

Flew G1000 for a while, and it was O.K., but nothing all that special - basically, just pictures of the steam gauges, plus an integrated AP.

Steam, Garmin 530.

Flew G1000 for a while, and it was O.K., but nothing all that special - basically, just pictures of the steam gauges, plus an integrated AP.
The g1000 has alot of really nice features. Not to say it isn't overkill for VFR, because it really is.

Traffic advisories... Nextrad wx, topography and terrain, wind and weather information, taf and metars, airport diagrams/runways/radio frequencies, nearest airport loc, course prediction, flight planning, etc. Having everything you need to know about an airport on the MFD is pretty awesome. Especially for last minute diversions to new places. Also having overlays of airspace and airspace notifications is pretty cool. Plus many many more features.

That being said I fly the g1000 alot, but still frankly enjoy a steam guage with a basic non moving GPS just as much! I also like to switch it up and not rely on the g1000 to do all of the planning for me...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes. Steam + KLN94. As Cessna intended :). However, not by choice. this is what's available in the rental fleet. I'm told there will be an upgrade soon. Still steam, but better GPS(WAAS)

Steam plus GTN-750 on the panel.
Dual Garmin Pilot on Nexus 7's on the yokes, for weather, traffic and geo-referenced approach plates, among others.

Hey guys. Just wondering, what kind of GPS could a LSA with steam gauges use? Can they use GPS that are found in certified aircraft (ie Garmin 430)? Also are there embedded GPS for steam gauge LSAs that do not combine GPS/VOR Nav/Comm together (ie can an aircraft have a separate GPS and Comm radio)?

Hey guys. Just wondering, what kind of GPS could a LSA with steam gauges use? Can they use GPS that are found in certified aircraft (ie Garmin 430)? Also are there embedded GPS for steam gauge LSAs that do not combine GPS/VOR Nav/Comm together (ie can an aircraft have a separate GPS and Comm radio)?

iPad + foreflight. Or something similar.

I've ridden in an Evektor LSA with a 430 in it. They do exist, some of em are even IFR certified.

I've ridden in an Evektor LSA with a 430 in it. They do exist, some of em are even IFR certified.

I believe I flown in an IFR certified Evektor Sportstar Max with a Dynon PFD and I think a Garmin 430 GPS with Comm and VOR Nav in it.

I believe I flown in an IFR certified Evektor Sportstar Max with a Dynon PFD and I think a Garmin 430 GPS with Comm and VOR Nav in it.

Probably similar to this one. This is a SportStar Max but I'm not sure if it's IFR certified. I was just riding along.

4567456-L.jpg

Probably similar to this one. This is a SportStar Max but I'm not sure if it's IFR certified. I was just riding along.

4567456-L.jpg

Actually that is just exactly the type of Sportstar I flown at Queen City Airport two years ago! The only difference is the tail number. I flown Sportstar N906SL and this Sportstar is N907SL.

But if a certified GPS can be installed in an LSA, is there any special process an LSA manufacturer has to go through versus installing non-certified GPS in LSAs?

Also, realistically, and also curious on this, how much would a typical used LSA cost if there the panel is steam gauges with an embedded panel GPS?

Haha that's funny. I actually have the issue of Plane & Pilot Magazine that has your avatar as the cover, with 906 and 907SL pictured.

I can't answer the question about a certified GPS in an LSA. As far as cost, I have no idea. My dad's Evektor Harmony(newest and ever so slightly enlarged SportStar) was $160K+ with two glass panels. I am not sure a brand new steam+panel GPS LSA would be significantly less. They're damn expensive.

I've been flying with IFR GPS since 1998 and still have mechanical flight instruments. I've considered glass a few times but so far I haven't found something I like better than what I have.

So what do you use for a horizon reference in IMC?

Not sure if you're joking, but I'm currently operating under Sport Pilot limitations and in 8 years have never had an IMC encounter in my Sky Arrow.

If I ever did, I'd rely on the Dynon under emergency authority to hopefully emerge unscathed. Hopefully proper preflight planning and conservative decision making will make such an encounter highly unlikely.

Further, the Sky Arrow is neither equipped nor certified for IFR. No navigational capability beyond the 496, for example.

Back