• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PrincessPilotNJ

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
WATXNJMA

Last edited:
Other- military. Kinda like a scholarship I guess.

Myself for all ratings except private the VA paid most of that.

Poorly worded poll.

There is VA
There is free training by a generous plane owner/CFI
Student loans
Military

mummy and daddy paid for the private.....I paid for the instrument and commercial. :D

VA and Military don't have any money, that would fall under tax payers.

For me, folks loaned me the money and I paid it back shortly after my CPL. We figured it was better than me giving some scum bag bank interest.

Poorly worded poll.

There is VA = Uncle
There is free training by a generous plane owner/CFI = Gift
Student loans = Yourself
Military =Uncle

Mods to your selections.

Wow... 2 mommy and daddy responses so far... more than I would have thought.

Agreed that many more viable options such as military and VA should have been listed. Speaks to the age, knowledge and experience of the pollster I guess.

Student loans = yourself, if you pay them back.

should be another poll option:

GoFundMe account

First one then the other. Plus I spent(non aviation) college grant money on flying, so all three. I don't have a problem I can quit anytime, just ask my friends....

Started to learn to fly at EGAD (look it up) and it probably cost me about 30% more time as bad weather could easily mean 3 weeks of no VFR flying, so a lot of repeat lessons.

Now in AZ, 300 days a year for clear blue skies, whats not to love.

VA is a pretty obvious category that doesn't seem to fit 'scholarship'.

I paid for every hour in my logbook, as a student, a renter and an owner. The "renter" part just didn't last very long--PPL 5/21/07, ownership 6/26/07.

Myself, well, daddy in a way, since it was partly funded by my survivor's benefits.

All me, working 3 jobs and going to college part time.

Vast majority of mine was Mom & Pop.

Originally parents until I got ppl on 17th birthday. Then all me.

Proud to say I've never had anyone help me pay for flying. I do it all on my own! It makes me enjoy every second I'm around the plane, and in between flights it keeps me motivated to work as hard as I do so I can get back in the plane as soon as possible.

With the exception of an hour here or there for birthdays or Christmas, paid for it working as a delivery van driver for a florist in high school. I miss those bright pink vans...cruising around for lousy tips listening to Opie and Anthony.

Wow... 2 mommy and daddy responses so far... more than I would have thought.

Agreed that many more viable options such as military and VA should have been listed. Speaks to the age, knowledge and experience of the pollster I guess.

Student loans = yourself, if you pay them back.

You counting mine.

More like a loan in my case.

Better to keep financial loan matters in the family when possible than lube your arse for a bank loan.

"VA and Military don't have any money, that would fall under tax payers."

You mean, they do not generate any monetary funds. I agree.

Cheers

I paid for mine by myself, every cent.

And just for the record, people in the military and government workers are "tax payers" too.;)

And just for the record, people in the military and government workers are "tax payers" too.;)

Yes indeed they are! Not to mention that most decent airports are funded by the " GOVMINT".

Really? So if the government hired everybody in the country at a million bucks a year then taxed everyone at 50%. We'd all be handsomely employed and the government would be rolling in riches.;) we should totally do that. Wonder if the government needs wingsuit pilots I'd do that for a million a year even if I could only keep half.:rofl:

I voted Myself ...although in truth it was myself and my wife as I raided our joint bank accounts to do it.....with her blessing of course..:D

My parents somewhat. Dad taught me but wasn't a CFI (despite having been a USAF instructor pilot). I had to pay for official instruction and rent some for that. Afterwards, other than flying his planes some, mostly on my own.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Really? So if the government hired everybody in the country at a million bucks a year then taxed everyone at 50%. We'd all be handsomely employed and the government would be rolling in riches.;) we should totally do that. Wonder if the government needs wingsuit pilots I'd do that for a million a year even if I could only keep half.:rofl:

Could you repeat that in English and not drop off the deep end? :confused:

Could you repeat that in English and not drop off the deep end? :confused:

How can you pay taxes with tax derived salaries? It is make believe taxes so you feel like productive people. Yes it is a reduction in take home pay, but it doesn't help fill the empire's coffers.

Maybe I should charge everyone who lands at my airport a $200 landing fee and we'll distribute each fee equally among all the controllers. We could take the taxes out of that so we can feel productive and not feel guilty about taking the tax payer's money.

I'm retired Air Force. I get my pension from the taxpayers which includes my portion as well. It may not make me feel productive but I've earned every cent of it.

I also take my 10% military discount at Home Depot, should I feel guilty about that as well?

Maybe I should charge everyone who lands at my airport a $200 landing fee and we'll distribute each fee equally among all the controllers. We could take the taxes out of that so we can feel productive and not feel guilty about taking the tax payer's money.

I'm retired Air Force. I get my pension from the taxpayers which includes my portion as well. It may not make me feel productive but I've earned every cent of it.

I also take my 10% military discount at Home Depot, should I feel guilty about that as well?

You may have earned it, still the taxes you pay are make believe. Pouring some well water back does not increase the total in the well. You understand that. Stop thinking like the commies you were paid to fight.

I said I pay taxes. According to my W-2, I pay a LOT of taxes. That was the original statement and while I agree with you that it just goes back into the well, the fact still remains that I pay taxes. I'm not going to argue with you if it is "real" taxes or where my paycheck is derived from.

Do you have a suggestion of how controllers should be paid? Would you agree with the alternative that controllers should be paid by landing fees from the public and not by the government?

I paid for all my ratings up to commercial multi in high school/college. Worked at an FBO to pay for all of them. Military got me the type ratings and turbine time. I'll be paying for the ATP myself here shortly as well.

Back