KPUB

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Well the other Colorado folk already know this, but I was kinda looking forward to having a burrito at KPUB Saturday evening.

Yeah, mmm. Not so much. I think Clark mentioned it to me a while back, but I forgot.

Story from the line guys is the (retarded) city government raised the rent on the restaurant that had been there for years, claiming they had "another tenant" ready to move in, even at the higher price. Ran off the people running it forever, and the other deal was apparently vaporware. Been dead now half a year and no signs anything is coming back.

I'm guessing this also hurts the already struggling museum there. Apparently they had a fly-in Saturday though. I've been to it multiple times, but it was always in conjunction with the intention to go get a burrito.

Oh and Flower and Rocky Mtn FBOs merged even longer ago.

Yeah, it's been a long time since I've been down there.

I guess PUB is off my list of places I have a reason to go to.

As an aside, I really hate the FBO playing the game of putting the self-serve price on the back of their follow me golf cart and then charging over $2 more / gallon for having the line guys pump it. I know it's common, but it's just another thing that'll convince me I have no reason to go to PUB anymore.

Just another ex-military base with a daily commuter flight or two (didn't look) and nothing of interest anywhere near the airport other than the museum on the field.

Dead. Nice job Pueblo politicians. Morons.

Lovely. Another reason that this hobby is going to the wind....

But - a burrito before flying? Do you intend to make the plane a lighter-than-air-craft? :vomit:

:D:D:D

The airport manager raised the rent, the restaurant owners refused and closed up. The airport manager quit 2 weeks later.

AFAIK, there's no commercial flights out of PUB these days, only GA and the USAF trainees (academy & IPT).

As for the flyin, no matter how many times I remind them, the Weisbrod folk continually forget to advertise. Not on SocialFlight, not on Colorado Pilots calendar (we'd be happy to send out an email to members!), not CABA, and so on. And they wonder why turnout isn't huge.

They got a FB page, but few people know about it.

Last edited:
What a bunch of total idiots! I'm sure there will be a significant drop in weekend traffic. :mad:

The airport manager raised the rent, the restaurant owners refused and closed up. The airport manager quit 2 weeks later.

AFAIK, there's no commercial flights out of PUB these days, only GA and the USAF trainees (academy & IPT).

As for the flyin, no matter how many times I remind them, the Weisbrod folk continually forget to advertise. Not on SocialFlight, not on Colorado Pilots calendar (we'd be happy to send out an email to members!), not CABA, and so on. And they wonder why turnout isn't huge.

The restaurant guy should have just moved back in and reopened..

Small town politics SUCK...:mad2::mad2:

What a complete CF. KPUB is a nice little spot to visit. Used to be good gas prices there, haven't been in more than a year. Sounds like every way they could screw up, they did screw up. What a sad state of affairs, and now they want a 'director' of aviation. harumpf, I'd take the job, but knowing who I would have to work for would drive me insane within a month.

To put at least one good comment in here, the line guys stuck there on a quiet Saturday evening were good guys.

Chatted about various things. One guy loves Lamborghini's and had Lambo logos on his laptop and some nice photos too. He lamented, "Better not drive one here, the cops will just give you a ticket even if you're not speeding. Maybe drive it up in Denver and get girls with it." ;)

Both the dreams of a small town guy and his small town view of "big ol'Denver" reminded me of every small town kid I ever met from up north of Denver where most of my family is from. Heh.

Made me chuckle that at least nothing ever changes in that regard.

Hope he gets his wish and his Lambo someday. Certainly not many better places to grow up in where one can give it a shot, and see how it goes.

I got my pickup truck and my airplane I always wanted, with a lot of work, a little luck here and there, and a few great mentors who probably thought my dreams were funny too.

Hopefully he waves at the dopey politicians of PUB as he puts them in his rear view mirror of that Lambo someday, too.

Hasn't been the same since the bikini line girls at Flower went away.

Not that funny, but I get regular emails from Weisbrod. Obviously doesn't help them much.

Dropping the commercial (subsidized) flights probably hurt the cafe.

Hasn't been the same since the bikini line girls at Flower went away.

Mini skirts. It was mini skirts. And a reason to own a high wing airplane. ;)

Dropping the commercial (subsidized) flights probably hurt the cafe.

Even more reason not to up the lease rate for the space. Wonder what they were thinking? Probably weren't.

Mini skirts. It was mini skirts. And a reason to own a high wing airplane. ;)

Even more reason not to up the lease rate for the space. Wonder what they were thinking? Probably weren't.

Their tax revenues went down so had to raise the rent. :rolleyes:

Kind like Fort Collins raising water rates after we saved so much water they couldn't support the staff anymore.

Kind like Fort Collins raising water rates after we saved so much water they couldn't support the staff anymore.

Denver Water had to do the same thing. Sorta tough to justify the staff size but management waved their arms a bunch about future projects and supporting the infrastructure...I think they are re-building one of their storage reservoirs in the South Park Basin this year and next. Big deal!

Denver Water had to do the same thing. Sorta tough to justify the staff size but management waved their arms a bunch about future projects and supporting the infrastructure...I think they are re-building one of their storage reservoirs in the South Park Basin this year and next. Big deal!

Denver Water the most arrogant, self-important bunch I ever had the pleasure of working with.

Worse than Excel?

Never had that pleasure. I was with the Forest Service when DW wanted to get more water from the Williams Fork. They said ''We don't need permits' and started the bulldozer. They stopped for LEOs. We won in court but both side spent bunches of dollars.

Fort Collins is the jealous little sister of Boulder. Trying sooooo hard to be like their liberal older sister to the south, it's hilarious. The attention whoring of both is impressive.

I'm surprised Ft Collins didn't stomp their feet and yell "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!" about Boulder getting a visit from Grandpa Bernie. LOL.

Must have spent too much time with the ... Anyone?...anyone? The Laffer curve.. Anyone?...Something D-O-O economics....

When I went out there for Initial Flight Screening a few years ago we flew in to PUB on a Great Lakes 1900. Just looked it up and looks like they are starting up weekend service to Denver in November.

When I went out there for Initial Flight Screening a few years ago we flew in to PUB on a Great Lakes 1900. Just looked it up and looks like they are starting up weekend service to Denver in November.

Haven't heard that. Hope goes for them. PUB is pretty close to COS, about 40 miles.

Great Lakes starts and stops service to PUB about once every five years. If not them, the old Mesa. Fly it for a while, close it down, start it back up, close it down. LOL

Article from last month.

The City of Pueblo has proposed a new contract with the Wyoming based carrier Great Lakes Aviation in the amount of $1,776,448. However, the US Department of Transportation wrote to City Manager Sam Azad in May saying the city needs to come up with $88,822 (or 5 percent) in cost sharing fees.
Council has not not taken action on the matching funds.

http://www.koaa.com/story/30005370/no-passenger-flights-in-pueblo

Thanks, denverpilot, for posting this info. My wife and I fly to AZ from S. Dak. each year in Feb and have stopped for a fuel and a meal at PUB nearly every time, both ways. Guess we'll need to look for a re-route. Somebody post again if something reopens there.

Well that's easy math. Number of passengers divided by 88K... Over whatever timeframe that covers. I assume it's annual.

Will passengers be willing to pay the amount as a ticket tax or will they find it cost and time effective to just drive north to the Springs?
I think the intent is for the city to help subsidize the flights, not for the cost to be added as a ticket tax, although I guess they are free to do so. I thought the general philosophy behind EAS flights was that the market does not support the cost so they need to be subsidized. The federal government is now making the cities chip in if they want the flights.

I think the intent is for the city to help subsidize the flights, not for the cost to be added as a ticket tax, although I guess they are free to do so. I thought the general philosophy behind EAS flights was that the market does not support the cost so they need to be subsidized. The federal government is now making the cities chip in if they want the flights.

Heh. Deregulation to re-regulation for the small places, to partial deregulation again. LOL. Sounds efficient.

A tax is a tax. Only question is who pays it. The politicians get to choose whether the general population of non-flying public gets to pay for the minority who want a daily Beech 1900 to show up on a fixed schedule, or just have the passengers pay for it.

Pre-paying through a multiple lossy government agencies for an nearly empty airplane to arrive daily seems dumb, just to keep a fixed schedule.

Seems like KPUB just needs a reliable 135 operation for those not willing to drive north. There were a couple of old Citations on the ramp that didn't look like they'd gone anywhere in a while.

Maybe someone could make the numbers work. But I doubt it. By the time you drive to the airport and go through all the stuff necessary, you'd be halfway to the Springs in a car.

On a "free" highway until CDOT adds another for-profit toll lane, anyway. Ha.

Alamosa is far enough away from DEN and COS to justify Great Lakes going in there. PUB isn't. That's their never ending transportation conundrum.

Heh. Deregulation to re-regulation for the small places, to partial deregulation again. LOL. Sounds efficient.

A tax is a tax. Only question is who pays it. The politicians get to choose whether the general population of non-flying public gets to pay for the minority who want a daily Beech 1900 to show up on a fixed schedule, or just have the passengers pay for it.
You said "ticket tax" in your post so I assumed that meant only the passengers who used the service. If it's not passed on to the passengers then of course the community absorbs it. Whether or not the airline service benefits the community enough to offset the cost is a question for the people who live there.

Pre-paying through a multiple lossy government agencies for an nearly empty airplane to arrive daily seems dumb, just to keep a fixed schedule.

Seems like KPUB just needs a reliable 135 operation for those not willing to drive north. There were a couple of old Citations on the ramp that didn't look like they'd gone anywhere in a while.
I doubt many people would pay for a charter between PUB and COS.

You said "ticket tax" in your post so I assumed that meant only the passengers who used the service. If it's not passed on to the passengers then of course the community absorbs it. Whether or not the airline service benefits the community enough to offset the cost is a question for the people who live there.

I doubt many people would pay for a charter between PUB and COS.

Yeah I purposefully said ticket tax, because that's the typically utilized method of paying for things in business. If a tax is levied, it's passed to the purchaser of the service or product.

Then I relaxed that requirement and said it was also possible that the politicians would decide to charge every taxpayer in Pueblo.

Since we're a republic, the two groups don't get to choose other than to maybe fire the politicians years later if they didn't like the choice. We aren't a democracy.

Agreed that charter isn't cheap enough.

There's really only two options. Ticket tax, or tax the whole town. All just to have an airliner visit half empty most days.

I doubt anyone is in a hurry in Pueblo politics to accept either option. One makes tickets too high, the other gets a large chunk of the public angry at them.

Only the tax everyone option will have a chance to remove the on again off again nature of airliner service to PUB. It'll be popular in boom years and unpopular in bust years.

Their budget appears to be that marginal, judging by the history of service there over the last two decades. Not enough travelers nor surplus cash to play the game consistently.

There is one other option. State grants. Also wouldn't be popular making other cities pay for that scheduled airplane every day.

Maybe Flytenow will fix it all. Hahahahahaha. Probably not. ;)

Latest rumor...city has awarded the restaurant lease, but not to the previous owner. Not date set for reopening.

Back