NA. Cubs Win!

BLACKHAWKS LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!! nuff said.

BLACKHAWKS LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!! nuff said.

Huge Hawks fan, but I'd take a Hawks loss today for a Cubs win. Guess the shine of the ring and the banner raising made them lose their focus. 3 cups in 6 years? I'll take that as well.

Huge Hawks fan, but I'd take a Hawks loss today for a Cubs win. Guess the shine of the ring and the banner raising made them lose their focus. 3 cups in 6 years? I'll take that as well.

Yea, we were robbed of a game tying goal late in the game.

Cubbies...Get ready to meet your demise...

UP NEXT
Cubs: Chicago went 8-11 this year against the Cardinals, their longtime rival. John Lackey is set to start the opener for St. Louis against Chicago's Jon Lester. The two were teammates on the 2013 Boston Red Sox team that won it all.

"Come Friday, we're not friends anymore," Lester said, laughing.

Last edited:
You think I'm not expecting it? When i die I want Cubs players to act as my pallbearers so they can let me down one last time.

Meh... took me only about three minutes of the drones on the news last night blabbering non stop about it for me to grow tired of it.

Sorry Arthur, not a big sports fan and far from being a Chicago sports fan.

Cubbies...Get ready to meet your demise...

UP NEXT
Cubs: Chicago went 8-11 this year against the Cardinals...

yes, but the cubs are 6-3 vs the red birds in the second half of the season. I've been a cubs fan for a lonnnng time and objectively I give the cubs a pretty good shot at advancing to the NL championship series.

I've been a Cubs fan my whole life. My dad was a vendor at Wrigley Field in the 1930's, so I never had any choice in the matter. So ANY post-season play is beyond special, but beating the Cardinals in the first round would be almost as good as winning the World Series. Almost.

fwiw - As Red Sox fan I know something about the plight of the Cubs fans. So I'll be rooting for the Cubs (I confess I won't be watching any of the games - the national TV announcers are dumber than a box of rocks, unbearable to listen to).

fwiw - As Red Sox fan I know something about the plight of the Cubs fans. So I'll be rooting for the Cubs (I confess I won't be watching any of the games - the national TV announcers are dumber than a box of rocks, unbearable to listen to).

To be honest with you, as a major hockey and football fan, baseball is so pathetically slow that I only really enjoy it when I'm at the game. For the love of God, can you keep the batter in the batter's box and stop him from knocking the dirt off his cleats, adjusting his jock, tightening his batting gloves, and then and only then looking at the third base coach before EVERY PITCH? I think making the batter stay in the box could cut the game time by 30% easily.

To be honest with you, as a major hockey and football fan, baseball is so pathetically slow that I only really enjoy it when I'm at the game. For the love of God, can you keep the batter in the batter's box and stop him from knocking the dirt off his cleats, adjusting his jock, tightening his batting gloves, and then and only then looking at the third base coach before EVERY PITCH? I think making the batter stay in the box could cut the game time by 30% easily.

i hear you but understand that ball players are a superstitous bunch. athletes as a group are generally reputed to be superstitous but baseball players are at the top of that pile. hitting a round ball with a round bat is THE most difficult skill in sports. and it's all about repitition...with a dash, maybe two dashes, of superstition tossed in for flavor. each player has his own routine and that's just part of the game.

yes, baseball is a slow game but what's the hurry? as my first CFI once told me...nothing good happens in a hurry.

Congrats to the cubbies - they dominated my poor Pirates.

That said, there is not one other thing in baseball that is decided by ONE game. Three-game series at a minimum or else it's a farce.

That said, there is not one other thing in baseball that is decided by ONE game. Three-game series at a minimum or else it's a farce.

Hey, it helped get rid of the Yankees, so it's not all bad

(reminder: I'm a Red Sox fan)

I think making the batter stay in the box could cut the game time by 30% easily.

Yes!

Add to that:

Ban all velcro batting gloves. Most batters seem to un-velcro and re-velcro after every pitch.

i hear you but understand that ball players are a superstitous bunch. athletes as a group are generally reputed to be superstitous but baseball players are at the top of that pile. hitting a round ball with a round bat is THE most difficult skill in sports. and it's all about repitition...with a dash, maybe two dashes, of superstition tossed in for flavor. each player has his own routine and that's just part of the game.

yes, baseball is a slow game but what's the hurry? as my first CFI once told me...nothing good happens in a hurry.

While I'm a baseball fan, and still play adult baseball, I agree that the game needs to be sped up. Current game times are right at 3+ hours for a game on average, the 30/40's it was around 2 hours. There's too much time wasted between pitches and between innings. No reason to step out the batter's box and take practice swings or readjust accessories that didn't move when you just took the first pitch 5 seconds before. Also no reason to spend 5 minutes throwing practice pitches and taking infield before play starts. Throw pitches for a minute, have the guys play catch with each other and get it on.

They need a pitch clock like the minors have experimented with, except I'd move it to 20 seconds between pitches.

I thought this was an aviation forum? What's with all the talk of guys playing with their balls?

While I'm a baseball fan, and still play adult baseball, I agree that the game needs to be sped up. Current game times are right at 3+ hours for a game on average, the 30/40's it was around 2 hours. There's too much time wasted between pitches and between innings. No reason to step out the batter's box and take practice swings or readjust accessories that didn't move when you just took the first pitch 5 seconds before. Also no reason to spend 5 minutes throwing practice pitches and taking infield before play starts. Throw pitches for a minute, have the guys play catch with each other and get it on.

They need a pitch clock like the minors have experimented with, except I'd move it to 20 seconds between pitches.

How does that work if you have an unwilling participant (the batter)?

It is a bit strange, for baseball, where so much depends on your pitching rotation--not a single pitcher like the QB in football. Under the old system it would be the Yankees and Pirates heading to their respective divisional series instead of the Astros and Cubs.

That said, I'm happy to see the Astros and Cubs moving on...

Baseball is not a good sport for the casual observer. If you aren't staying involved in the details of the games within the game you are missing a lot of what's going on and the game is boring.

In the minors this year, they have a 25 second clock. The batter must keep one foot in the box, I believe. Doesn't mean you can't "call time" to step out, but if you abuse it the umpire can impose 1-stike penalties. I believe it shaved an average of 15 minutes off of the game this year, using a 2.5 minute break between innings.

I love playing baseball, and I appreciate the tradition and the fact that to those casual observers, it's boring. It's still a mental game even if you speed up the time between pitches and doesn't lose any of the appeal that I've noticed. I also wish the season was closer to 120-games (play each team in your division 6 times, and some inter-division games) instead of 162, but that's never going to happen.

In the minors this year, they have a 25 second clock. The batter must keep one foot in the box, I believe. Doesn't mean you can't "call time" to step out, but if you abuse it the umpire can impose 1-stike penalties. I believe it shaved an average of 15 minutes off of the game this year, using a 2.5 minute break between innings.

I love playing baseball, and I appreciate the tradition and the fact that to those casual observers, it's boring. It's still a mental game even if you speed up the time between pitches and doesn't lose any of the appeal that I've noticed. I also wish the season was closer to 120-games (play each team in your division 6 times, and some inter-division games) instead of 162, but that's never going to happen.

Interesting. I like it.

In the minors this year, they have a 25 second clock. The batter must keep one foot in the box, I believe. Doesn't mean you can't "call time" to step out, but if you abuse it the umpire can impose 1-stike penalties. I believe it shaved an average of 15 minutes off of the game this year, using a 2.5 minute break between innings
This rule is in effect in MLB, along with others...
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/10982...of-game-initiatives-changes-to-instant-replay

I admit the one game rule is bs especially if the three best teams are in the same division.

I thought I was watching a hockey game instead of baseball - Cubs vs Pirates: drop the gloves!

I was! Thank God for the remote, and the slow play of baseball. There are usually only two TV time outs in hockey during a period, and when I flipped to baseball during those breaks, I could see all I needed to see. :)

agreed. the second wild card spot is just for the TV revenue. i'm glad the Cubs have it but i would've much rather they'd have taken the first wild card spot.

a buddy who hates baseball but works in that industry has suggested that a strike be called each time the batter steps out without the permission of the ump. he likes the idea of a pitch clock, too. i like the leisurely pace of the game...nuttin better on a nice sat or sunday afternoon after chores are done than. to acknowledge the couch, put the game on, fall asleep in the 3rd and wake up in the 7th. :thumbsup:

LOL. I'm at TGI Fridays in the Atlanta airport. Poor guy asks if he can have "just one TV" put on the Cubs game. Rightly so, the bartender put the brakes on that nonsense . It's Saturday in SEC land, nobody here wants to watch a bunch of dudes scratch their balls. spit, swing, then do it again 90 ****ing thousand times for 6 hours.

LOL he just asked in a ****ed off tone "is their any chance of a baseball game coming on"? She said "honestly, no, my manager won't let me change the channel." He then left a full beer in the bar, stormed out and wrote for a tip on his receipt "have your manager give you a tip" LOL.

LOL. I'm at TGI Fridays in the Atlanta airport. Poor guy asks if he can have "just one TV" put on the Cubs game. Rightly so, the bartender put the brakes on that nonsense . It's Saturday in SEC land, nobody here wants to watch a bunch of dudes scratch their balls. spit, swing, then do it again 90 ****ing thousand times for 6 hours.

um, it's an airport. How many people from SEC land are going to be hanging out at a chain restaurant in the Atlanta airport?

Seems like it was a reasonable request.

um, it's an airport. How many people from SEC land are going to be hanging out at a chain restaurant in the Atlanta airport?

Seems like it was a reasonable request.
A lot appearantly.

I moved on to another bar, the bartender laughed and said "not on Saturday". The south ain't the place to be to watch Midwestern, pro, baseball team play.

SEC!SEC!SEC!SEC!SEC! It's our religion.

A lot appearantly.

I moved on to another bar, the bartender laughed and said "not on Saturday". The south ain't the place to be to watch Midwestern, pro, baseball team play.

SEC!SEC!SEC!SEC!SEC! It's our religion.

MIZ-ZOU

Should have changed the channel since UGA lost anyhow. Season over.

Back