Gaston's pre-Go/No Go Thread

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
This thread shouldn't be confused with the "Official Gaston's Go/No Go Thread" that will appear here next week sometime. This thread is intended to allow folks to vent about any events/scenarios that could arise to prevent them from attending G-IV.

For me personally, my sister's wedding is this coming weekend and I've been informed that I MUST make an appearence in full-fledged penguin suit. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem for Gaston's the following weekend, but due to the fact that this is busy season for us at work, getting two weekends off in a row will be darn-near impossible. At this point, my only hope for being able to make it to G-IV is for rain showers to reappear next week which will prevent us from being able to spray on the weekend. So this is my request to fellow Gaston'ers: Wait until about Tues/Wed/Thurs of next week and begin the rain dance and sacrificial chickens so that I may FINALLY attend this great event in aviation history. The key will be to prevent over-dancing which would allow the rain to continue into the weekend - we must walk the fine line. :)

So where does everyone else sit on their pre-Go/No Go decisions?

Weather would be the only issue for me.
Me too.

We have one weather day (Thursday). Viveca, Felix and I should arrive sometime Friday and leave early Sunday.

Joe

PS. Viveca voted down taking the T28, we'll be in a Cirrus or Bonanza lanking BPK and getting a rental car.

Me too.

We have one weather day (Thursday). Viveca, Felix and I should arrive sometime Friday and leave early Sunday.

Joe, please be careful and don't get involved in a cat fight before you get here!

We're sitting on go. If the past 1.5 months are any indication, wx won't be a problem (where the heck did the rain go this spring :dunno:).

Joe, please be careful and don't get involved in a cat fight before you get here!

I've been so careful I've even started telling my students I don't want them Goosing Any Cats.

Joe

Me too.

Joe

PS. Viveca voted down taking the T28, we'll be in a Cirrus or Bonanza lanking BPK and getting a rental car.

Assuming the runway is in good shape, you'd have no trouble getting either into 3m0. If your concern is unfamiliarity with the "unusual" pattern, I'd bet someone would be willing to fly with you from BPK.

But I wish you were bringing the '28. ;(

I think weather will be about the only thing stopping me and Jesse. Even if we wanted to play IFR, the DA-20 isnt equipped. Its about that time of year when its either going to be hot and humid or low clouds and rain showers. I'm sure we'll be dodging some pop ups along the way from Minnesota. It'll be fun!

We're planning on getting there Saturday morning-four of us. Ron Mara and his son Morgan have come with me before, and Troy is joining us. I see BPK is now referred to as Ozark Regional--guess that used to be Mountain Home. That's where we'll be arriving. We'll try to get there before lunch and stay until diner if that's early enough.

Anyone talk to them about a fuel discount! Last year they said they would offer one if we told them in advance. I'd be happy to make that call is no one else has.

Best,

Dave

For those of you who have been blessed with rain, try blowing it towards middle Tennessee. Maybe if all y'all started your engines and faced them west, we could get some of it this way :yes:
If you're going to participate please don't wait until the week of Gastons! :D

Pre Go-NoGo? So far, its go, with a chance of no-go, depending on the status of Sheri's 182. We're optimistic. That's good.

Anyone talk to them about a fuel discount! Last year they said they would offer one if we told them in advance. I'd be happy to make that call is no one else has.

Dave
I haven't talked to them yet. Dave, you're in charge of that committee now. :D

We're sitting on go. If the past 1.5 months are any indication, wx won't be a problem (where the heck did the rain go this spring :dunno:).

It came to Texas. You can have it back!

I beginning to wonder if I shouldn't have bought a boat during the winter.

im go, just not sure what in. been planning on this all year.

We're planning on getting there Saturday morning-four of us. Ron Mara and his son Morgan have come with me before, and Troy is joining us. I see BPK is now referred to as Ozark Regional--guess that used to be Mountain Home. That's where we'll be arriving. We'll try to get there before lunch and stay until diner if that's early enough.

Best,

Dave

According to Airnav it is $3.35 guaranteed at the self serve pump. That's cheaper than what I put in my car yesterday. A call to confirm would be great and a further discount gravy.

Joe

Weather would be the only issue for me.

Brent and I are go barring a weather disaster. The quesiton is, will we show up at 3M0 with our plane, or flying the club 182 into BPK???

Even the Shadow doesn't know that...

Will be there no matter how many different directions I might have to go to get there. :D I will not be stopped by wx (so she says now.....)!

Gaston's: facilities at Ozark Regional BPK. Mountain Home Flight is the facility at Ozark Regional. The have some hanger space, tie downs, the FBO with facilities and weather. Their fuel is slightly higher than a self serv fuel pump on the field. Lauri, the owner at Mountain Home is to call me to offer the group a fuel discount. Of course, if you plan to use their facilities including the tie downs, they would like you to purchase fuel which is how they fund things.

The self serve pump has cheaper fuel if you don't intend to use the FBO or it's facilities. The self serv is showing 3.35 per gallon now. Lauri will let me know what their fuel price will be for us. If you need to call them, they are at 870.481.5966. The self serv pump is new. The folks at Mountain Home were very helpful in previous years.

Best,

Dave

$3.35? Wow. I just found out we're paying $4.70.

CAR gas in Chicago is $4.15

I was figuring how $5 a gallon gas means fuel alone costs me $75 an hour. $7500 for 100 hours. Add in the $25/flight thanks to Marion. Can't keep this up.

I'll try to make it, will be a last minute decision for me

ben, i hope you can come. find a student who needs a bunch of real world XC time. Or bug Chris Jones to give you a ride (nudge nudge), or PM me, i may have a few other ideas. hope to see you there!

If you don't land at 3M0, just call us on CTAF, buzz the field, and someone'll come get ya in an airplane. :yes:

It's looooking good for me now.

I even did some cross-wind pattern work in the haze last night. Only the first landing was life threatening. Gonna get some dual Saturday.

My buddy is a good boy as always.

And the #$%^ birds came back after my scary owl got blown down in the tornadic winds we had. This time I had a tiny-blue-egg omelette on the right wing.

Gaston's: facilities at Ozark Regional BPK. Mountain Home Flight is the facility at Ozark Regional. The have some hanger space, tie downs, the FBO with facilities and weather. Their fuel is slightly higher than a self serv fuel pump on the field. Lauri, the owner at Mountain Home is to call me to offer the group a fuel discount. Of course, if you plan to use their facilities including the tie downs, they would like you to purchase fuel which is how they fund things.

The self serve pump has cheaper fuel if you don't intend to use the FBO or it's facilities. The self serv is showing 3.35 per gallon now. Lauri will let me know what their fuel price will be for us. If you need to call them, they are at 870.481.5966. The self serv pump is new. The folks at Mountain Home were very helpful in previous years.

Best,

Dave

Lauri Benedict, the owner of Mountain Home FBO said she would be happy to offer a 30 cent per gallon discount on their fuel to anyone that identifies themselves as being part of the Pilot's of America/Gaston's fly in. They will also have some door prizes. The self service fuel would still be cheaper if you don't intend to use the facilities. For all of us that run little businesses, we know how hard it can be; if you use the FBO at all, it would be nice if you purchased fuel there as that is their only revenue source!

Best,

Dave

OK, in the spirit of the OP, circumstances have occurred to tease me with the fact that I will be in the lower 48, in the mid-South, at about the same time as Gaston's but due to family commitments I won't be able to even make an appearance. I'll be returning to the Memphis area from NC about the time everyone is taking off from Gaston's to fly home :(

dave how much would that make the full service gas? thanks for the leg work on this. if its not too much more and i bring a 150 i will probably go for it. otherwise ill just get the self serve. unless i can get a couple 5 gallon cans and car gas is a lot cheaper at the station. i get refunded at 3.75 for gas bought on the road, so im all about keeping it cheap. thanks again

Tony. Of course rates may change. Today, the self serv is shown at 3.35 and the FBO full service at 4.14 less .30 would be 3.84.

Seems to be an incestuous little battle to run the FBO out to take if over, but we don't need to get in the middle of that! (I just hate to see this kind of thing.)

Best,

Dave

oh the self serve isnt associated with the FBO? wtf, that sounds so dumb I'd expect the city of Ames, IA wouldve already thought of it

ben, i hope you can come. find a student who needs a bunch of real world XC time. Or bug Chris Jones to give you a ride (nudge nudge), or PM me, i may have a few other ideas. hope to see you there!
I'm down on students right now, but way up on random pilot service/BFRs/IPCs. Got some time in a King Air 200 today!B) If my schedule allows for it, I might be able to take that Friday off, but it will most likely be something like "I have nothing to do today so I'll go to gastons"

Back