Doing away with 3rd class medical?

markstanco

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
My instructor follows aviation closely, I guess because of medevac and what not.

Anyhow he mentioned that they are moving from 24 to 36 months for 40+ in the near future but he doesn't think there will be a medical down the road.

If his thought on this is right or wrong, that's not the question. The question is why would the FAA consider this?

My instructor follows aviation closely, I guess because of medevac and what not.

Anyhow he mentioned that they are moving from 24 to 36 months for 40+ in the near future but he doesn't think there will be a medical down the road.

If his thought on this is right or wrong, that's not the question. The question is why would the FAA consider this?

I think they are only considering it in his imagination.
Stephen.

I'm with Stephen. No such information has been released by the FAA. There is an FAA NPRM regarding medical requirements for Private Pilots which has been sitting at the Department of Transportation awaiting approval for public release for over six months now, but nobody outside the ARC knows what's in it, and they can't talk about it publicly.

I suggest that you not hold your breath. Bureaucracies tend go into "cold, dead fingers" mode when it's suggested that they give up control over something -- especially when that "something" is unnecessary to begin with.

Rich

I suggest that you not hold your breath. Bureaucracies tend go into "cold, dead fingers" mode when it's suggested that they give up control over something -- especially when that "something" is unnecessary to begin with.

Rich

Bureaucracies value...The bureaucracy. Their first reaction is self preservation, and there is no way the medical folks in the FAA want to lose all of the jobs that go into verifying, tracking, and issuing 3rd class medicals. That would reduce the size of someone's silo and might reduce the perceived importance (and actual pay) of the positions farther up the ladder.

Back to top.

I just heard this again from a PhD.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back to top.

I just heard this again from a PhD.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Why does the PhuD have credibility? Unless he/she works for FAA or DOT there's not much confidence.

Simple, lets do away with 3rd class medical. But require 2nd class for High performance and/ or complex aircraft.

Instead of BFR requirements every 24 months, lets do it every 6 months like I have to do.

This would make flying so much easier.

With the death of the captain the other day and the FO fainting i heard on the news that pilot health is in the spotlight.

Look it was never gonna happen anyway. With the above incidents. Forget about it. The AOPA will gladly take your money though to fight the good fight but not another penny from me.

With the death of the captain the other day and the FO fainting i heard on the news that pilot health is in the spotlight.

Look it was never gonna happen anyway. With the above incidents. Forget about it. The AOPA will gladly take your money though to fight the good fight but not another penny from me.

I'm not dead yet!

Pigs will fly out of my anus before the 3rd class goes away. (No offense to Nick)

The medical issues of the two airline pilots this week certainly is not a positive thing in relaxing medical issuance. The irony is they had first class Medicals. I think health issues can strike anyone no matter what the medical class is.

The medical issues of the two airline pilots this week certainly is not a positive thing in relaxing medical issuance. The irony is they had first class Medicals. I think health issues can strike anyone no matter what the medical class is.

Further underlying their utter futility to anyone sporting even a room temperature IQ.

Back