My Attempt at a $115 ADS-B Receiver Build for Foreflight

This kind of thing is best done in a group buy. I guess shipping could get messy though. I say one awesome case for a dual setup with the different antennas connected on the sides. It looked perfect but I can't find it again for the life of me. Who are you having print it out?

3dhubs.com

Stick in your zipcode and you get a list of local printers.

Steve, did you go in and configure you're GPS chip to the nav rate of 10hz? I saw something about the update taking care of it but when I hooked it to the lap top it was at 1hz? It seems to be a non issue here on the ground.
I was wondering about that too! I wasn't quite sure how to implement that. My USB broke off, so I would need to wire a USB cable so I could plug it into my PC? I downloaded u-center, but it wasn't seeing my GPS chip when I was "guessing" at how to wire a USB 3.0 to the chip.

What did you use to see it at 1hz, and what would you use to change that?

Iceman, just read the first page and you'll be fine. Everything else is great too, but the jist of it is all page 1.

There is more recent software to download than page 1 describes. This whole things is still .something, not even 1.0.

3dhubs.com

Stick in your zipcode and you get a list of local printers.

Nice!! I made a 5min tuppercase for testing until I get a good one.

Attachments

• IMAG1788.jpg
    IMAG1788.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
I was wondering about that too! I wasn't quite sure how to implement that. My USB broke off, so I would need to wire a USB cable so I could plug it into my PC? I downloaded u-center, but it wasn't seeing my GPS chip when I was "guessing" at how to wire a USB 3.0 to the chip.

What did you use to see it at 1hz, and what would you use to change that?

Iceman, just read the first page and you'll be fine. Everything else is great too, but the jist of it is all page 1.

There is more recent software to download than page 1 describes. This whole things is still .something, not even 1.0.

Could you just desolder the broke one and solder on a new one? I just used U-center to view my settings I made changes but every time I tried to save them it just went back to the default. When I was reading it seemed for whatever reason not everyone seems to have a problem with the 1hz and mine seems to be fine? I also may have been incorrect about the AHRS looks like there was a message posted today on reddit that says it is receiving inputs but they are unusable?

Here is the latest I have found on the AHRS

https://m.reddit.com/r/stratux/comments/3mw0ky/hypersensitive_ahrs/

Last edited:
Well, I may be building a Stratux myself. Yesterday when I pulled the usb cable out of my Stratus 1, the whole plug assembly pulled off the circuit board.

To their credit, Appareo support answered my email asking if this could be repaired very quickly.

"We no longer support the Stratus 1, so sad, too bad"

I'm starting CFI training next week and really wasn't budgeting for new ADS-B box. I already have a Raspberry Pi, but it's and older model and committed to Halloween decorations.

At least I still have my little bluethooth Dual GPS box, so I can still navigate with Foreflight, but I'll sure miss the weather and TFR stuff.

Just soldered the headers onto the chip and wired it up for GPS and AHRS. :)

AHRS appears to be "working" as expected with the latest beta.

GPS does not seem to be working. No GNSS light on the chip. No satellites reported in the Stratux settings web page.

Back to combing reddit...

FWIW, I'm using it in Naviator on Android.

GPS does not seem to be working. No GNSS light on the chip. No satellites reported in the Stratux settings web page.

GNSS light can take up to 3 minutes. Did you just chill for a while?

Usually it's just power that makes that thing eventually light up. Make sure it's up a little too. Like, it starts flashing whether you've got a good (data) connection to the pi or not.

GNSS light can take up to 3 minutes. Did you just chill for a while?

Usually it's just power that makes that thing eventually light up. Make sure it's up a little too. Like, it starts flashing whether you've got a good (data) connection to the pi or not.

Gave it 30+ min! (the first time)
Plugged into household AC.
I'll poke around a bit today.

Hate to ask because you probably did but just in case: Did you turn on AHRS functionality in the web app?

StratuxWebApp.PNG

Hate to ask because you probably did but just in case: Did you turn on AHRS functionality in the web app?

StratuxWebApp.PNG

Yes.
And, AHRS is not the issue.

I see now that I may need to fiddle with u-blox config. (later)

So far, I've double-checked correct connections, swapped out the wires, and admired my soldering work.

Will tinker more later. Supposedly, I'm working right now...

As an update, for those who join this thread later, here is a very good User's Guide to the device that kind of gets you up to speed.

Straux Beginner's Guide

Explains the differences between a single radio device, a dual device, and the reason for the GPS/AHRS chip.

Prior to reading, I thought I needed to get on the bandwagon and get the second radio and antenna. Now, not so sure it will provide me any benefit.

Interesting that Seattle Avionics is recognizing Stratux as a viable product and platform.

31d457e00809db2d1e5b3e9072f4fe1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting thread. I *just* pulled the trigger on a Garmin GDL 39 two days ago but joined this forum today. I dabble in electronics and have 3 Raspberry Pi's at home. Would have been a fun project. Not sure the wife would be happy, though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Just spend the green to get this setup as well. I just finished my instrument rating and am moving on to commercial at the end of this month.

I am foregoing the AHRS/GPS for now as I don't have synthetic vision purchased with my Foreflight plan and don't think it is necessary for now. I ended up with a 13000mAh battery since I am running two dongles. Now I'll just be waiting for the parts to show up so I can assemble.

Joshua

Case arrived today :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    850.2 KB · Views: 91
Would have looked better with a Stinson Reliant on the top. ;)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Bit of a tight squeeze with this case but it is all connect.

Biggest headache was the 6in USB cables - just a pain to work with. GPS is also connected by USB for now.

Waiting to get screws or bolts to close it up.

Attachments

• built.JPG
    built.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I didn't feel like spending 50-80 to get a case printed, so 300 for a 3D printer sounded like a much better deal. Hopefully have an attempt by the end of the month.

I didn't feel like spending 50-80 to get a case printed, so 300 for a 3D printer sounded like a much better deal. Hopefully have an attempt by the end of the month.

Cost me $25 so I dont know who quoted you 50 to 80

I started looking at the 3D printers, too. But the lower cost versions only have a 6in x 6 in platform, some of the cases I've seen are over 7 in. What are the dimensions for this case?

I started looking at the 3D printers, too. But the lower cost versions only have a 6in x 6 in platform, some of the cases I've seen are over 7 in. What are the dimensions for this case?

I don't have it in front of me at the moment but it was taken from here.. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:993203

The photo attached should give you some reference.

Attachments

• Blue1.JPG
    Blue1.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 63

I want the blue case that holds both antennas. I quoted it through makexyz and they wanted 55. No one around me on 3D hubs could print it. The printer I found has a 200x200x170mm capacity, so plenty big. $300 shipped. (Some assembly required... Like all of it) but I like the project.

I just ordered that longer case as well just to have the option, mine is tight fit for the sub cables

Have you operated your rig with these antennas ? Do you have the antennas' predicted performance at 978 & 1090 MHz ? Hope it works as good as it looks.

I added the 1050 MHz receiver and upgraded to version 0.4r1

I noticed it took longer to get a wifi connection. It also tended to drop out of ForeFlight. It seemed to get better using the power plug that came with the Raspberry pi, but it still dropped sometimes. I unplugged one receiver (978 Mhz only configuration) and it seems to be running better- doesn't get dropped in ForeFlight.

Am justified in suspecting I'm not getting enough power through the R pi to run both receivers? Would a powered USB hub help? I don't have the GPS and other stuff as I'm getting GPS via a Bad Elf.

It also seems to take a long time sometimes to get a wifi connection. Sometimes a few seconds, sometimes about a minute. This doesn't seem to matter how many receivers I have on it.

Last edited:
Back