Personal bucket list flight today

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I am blessed, fortunate, lucky, (you choose) in so many ways but one is that even as I am closing in on 40, I still have my grandparents. I actually had great grandparents until I was 20 so my family is huge, close and all local.

Anyway I always sort of hoped I would get to fly my grandparents. I never wanted to ask just because they are almost 90 and frail and I didn't want them to just say yes and the logistics of getting them into a plane be an issue. I sort of assumed it just wouldn't happen.

Last night in Athens at my sister's wedding, we had about 100 family and friends at my parent's place on the lake.

After the ceremony, we are having too much wine and sharing stories and what not. Dad says "Hey can you help me get my parents home tomorrow?"

I have an SUV w/ extra room so "of course!"

"Ok, we can get so-in-so to drive us to the airport in the morning."

"ooooooooooohhhhhh the airport..." :idea:

So today I got to fly my grandparents and it was really cool. My grandmother said "I wish granddaddy (My great grand father) could see what the two of you are up to. He would be so tickled that you are flying us around."

Then my grandmother asks "So which if you is the better pilot?"
The silence was hysterical. Then dad and I both at the same time said something along the lines of "I never make a mistake when he's not in the plane with me" :)

Oh well, Today was one of those "This is why I fly" days. This is a short little flight I will never forget. My grandparents were giddy when we landed and I am lucky I got to fly them. Also always great flying with my dad.

Thought I would share and hopefully everyone gets to make flights that are really important to them from time to time.

attachment.php

Now if I can manage to get me, my son, dad, and grandfather and get all 4 generations on a flight... That would be cool.

Happy flying!

Attachments

• Grandparents.jpg
    Grandparents.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 292
That's great! The four generations would be so neat. I really wish I could have flown my grandparents. Enjoy!!

I envy you Bryan and I encourage you to do whatever it takes to make that four generation flight, don't waste a day. What a great day for you!!!

Looks like fun. I assume you didn't try any zero G maneuvers with them back there? My 88 year old grandma just mentioned that we should go flying.

Looks like fun. I assume you didn't try any zero G maneuvers with them back there? My 88 year old grandma just mentioned that we should go flying.

HAHA!!
I offered to do a roll but my grandma objected. :goofy:

So So So cool... My grandfather passed not long ago, and he always wanted to fly unfortunately he was too frail to fly when I got my private. What a great picture / experience!

Very Cool. I have been trying to get my grandmother to fly with me as well. She is 89. Wish me luck..

Very cool. I got to fly one grandmother and my father before they all passed.

I am jealous! I would have loved to have given my grandparents a ride. Great story.

My grandpa just passed away 2 weeks ago so this thread struck me. He always asked about my flying but he could never go with me because he simply did not have the mobility to get into the plane. I would always show him pictures of my flights and I could tell he was proud. He even said I should have the pictures published. Maybe one day.

You are a very fortunate man to have so much family still alive. I'd venture to say that the picture up above will be a cherished one further on in life. Congratulations!

I never got to fly my grandparents, but about 15 years ago I flew to Asheville picked up my wife's grandmother and flew her to Destin with us for a week. :D I think I was more nervous/excited flying her than taking a check ride! :D She never did much in the way of traveling other driving to Virginia to see her sisters, so it was pretty new to her. :D I also took her fishing with us, I wish I had a picture of her catching a king mackerel! Of course we helped a little.:D Rumor has it that she told everyone at church about her airplane and boat rides! :yes:

Congrats,I'm sure they enjoyed it also.

Cool opportunity.

Closest I ever got to flying any of my grandparents was when we scattered my grandfather's ashes near Sedona. We technically had three generations of Arizona Aviators onboard (myself, my dad and grandpa - in a jar).

That's awesome, glad you got to do that. Most of my grandparents have passed, two from cancer and one from age. My grandmother is not in great shape, but it would be a blast to take her up.

Both my parents have flown with me, brother has not yet. That must have been a really special flight for them to have shared with you.

Very cool flight.

My grandparents were all long gone before I got my certificate. My dad soloed in the early '50s but never finished. I've gotten to take him on a number of flights. Unfortunately his condition is deteriorating and barring a miracle, his flying days are over.

Get the flights in while you can!

John

Very cool. My first passenger after my check ride was Grandpa, a very high hour but recently retired pilot. On another occasion, I got a chance to fly right seat with my dad at left and my grandpa in the back. Didn't take a picture either time. :mad2:

Little brother punched his ticket last year - still need to get in the air with all three of them at once. I'll make sure and get a picture that time!

Cool opportunity.

Closest I ever got to flying any of my grandparents was when we scattered my grandfather's ashes near Sedona. We technically had three generations of Arizona Aviators onboard (myself, my dad and grandpa - in a jar).

Hey! You've just given me an idea on how to fly another one!

Grin... Sorry, dark humor.

Congrats, what a great opportunity to make some memories.

A few years back I flew my 85 year old mom to Dallas Executive (the old Red Bird airport) for lunch with her sister. She is from Dallas and she told me she had taken flying lessons at Red Bird when she was young. She said when the instructor said it was time to Solo she asked if it was allowed because she was only 15 years old. The instructor was shocked and said no. She never went back to finish. I recently found her book she was using during flight school.

Last edited:
Cool opportunity.

:D

Something about the term "Grandpa in a jar" struck me as funny.

Hey! You've just given me an idea on how to fly another one!

Grin... Sorry, dark humor.
Sometimes, it's all you can do.

It was a pretty cool flight. Both of my dad's parents had their ashes scattered over the same spot from dad's Lance, just 30 years apart. I was only 7 when my grandmother passed, but was able to fly the airplane with my grandfather onboard.

Isn't it a great feeling when you can share your joy of flight with others, especially family?

Last time I visited my mom back home (which is maybe a 1/4 turn of the globe away), I stuffed us in a rented 172 and we flew over the mountains/hills we climbed with her as kids, we circled the lakes we vacationed at, we did a lot of sightseeing over the hometown and she was very very happy to find her house from the air. She loved the flight (I specifically picked a calm late afternoon, so no bumps) and the only spoiler was that our camera batteries died so we have 0 pictures. But she still has memories in her mind!

If y'all haven't flown your family, think of offering a sightseeing flight if you can, they might enjoy it!

Made my day! Life is fleeting; I am thinking of a cousin who died before we realized he would have loved a flight. He was a former pilot. Cherish all moments with the dear ones.

I got to take my grandmother on her first and only airplane flight. As I pointed out landmarks to her she would just say "oh, that's nice". Afterward, my step mother asked if she liked it because she really wasn't looking at the things I was pointing out. She said it was great, but she didn't want to tip the airplane by moving around too much. :)

I took my aging mother up and she loved it. Even the not so graceful climb over a wing and throw yourself down Warrior entrance dance. It really makes it all worth it.

Based on the pic, something furry died on your mouth. Might want to get that looked at. :)

Awesome experience, so when you say your "closing in on 40" do you mean a da40? saw your T-tail post in a forum. JK I am a da40 fanatic.

Double awesome! I got to take one grandad for a ride. Congrats!

Great story and pic. Very cool.

Back