2904 new posts since I last checked in

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
that must be some sort of record.

I'm back, I am awake at almost 3 AM, (and sick too!) and hope everyone had a great couple of weeks. Mom and I had a blast.

You can solve this problem by not staying away for so long.

Now let us know when you've read EVERY SINGLE ONE! ;)

The real question is, did you get a chance to fly while on vacation?

That would make the absence ok :D

Welcome back. Hope you had a good time. Now,

This thread is worthless without pictures!

Welcome back. Hope you had a good time. Now,

This thread is worthless without pictures!
Well, there is the one in your post that looks like a guy standing next to a Smurf.

And, thanks to Nick's avatar I keep wanting to finish the line with "Uncle Albert."

Elizabeth, for what it's worth... welcome back to the madness. :yes: :)

The real question is, did you get a chance to fly while on vacation?

That would make the absence ok :D

Ballooning, YES! and my Mom, who is deathly afraid of heights, called it THE highlight of the trip. Pictures to follow.

Seaplaning, alas, no. We took the "fast ferry" to Como from Varenna on Sunday hoping to squeak in a time... I had asked for a 1030 AM slot prior to leaving for Italy and never heard back but we went anyway in the hopes that they would accommodate us anyway. they were not able to, but could fit us in the next morning (Monday) before we left for Venice. Well, we woke up to thunder and lightning (very very frightening!) over the lake (galileo, galileo, galileo figaro... :goofy: ) and that was that. it poured for much of our drive back to Como to drop the car and hoof it on the ES to Venice.

here are two from the trip - many many more to go through. My Mom took the one of the small church in Tuscany, I took the photo of Il Duce at the Mille Miglia. (yes, we saw that - we were sitting at an outdoor cafe in the Piazza Signoria in Florence and watched them all go by...) if you look closely at the passenger of the car you will see what I mean...

518819291_c06afd6ae6.jpg

518788970_57d6c8a03e.jpg

are you kidding? I didn't even wear a watch on this vacation. and I didn't bring a cell phone either!

Welcome back, Beth.

I was watching the show "1000 places to see before you die" on Travel Channel last night - the segment was on Lake Como (I recognized the Grand Hotel Serbollino at Bellagio instantly - I've stayed there) and Venice. The couple in the show went seaplaning - they too some great shots & showed the adventure.... don't watch it or you'll be very jealous that it didn't work out for you to go.

here are two from the trip - many many more to go through. My Mom took the one of the small church in Tuscany, I took the photo of Il Duce at the Mille Miglia. (yes, we saw that - we were sitting at an outdoor cafe in the Piazza Signoria in Florence and watched them all go by...) if you look closely at the passenger of the car you will see what I mean...

518819291_c06afd6ae6.jpg

One of my most favorite places in the world is just about 15' to the right of that picture. You can see "Rape of the Sabine Women", "David", "Judith and Holephernes" (sp?), and that stunning fountain... all surrounded by the Palazzo Publico and the Uffizi. Siena is a better city than Florence, but my oh my, rarely can you experience a moment quite like that...

Glad you enjoyed the trip Elizabeth! I totally missed getting you some resto reccos, my bad, however I'm guessing you ate pretty well!

I'm in DC this weekend (killing time between two biz trips), you up for dinner?

Cheers,

-Andrew

Welcome back, Beth.

I was watching the show "1000 places to see before you die" on Travel Channel last night - the segment was on Lake Como (I recognized the Grand Hotel Serbollino at Bellagio instantly - I've stayed there) and Venice. The couple in the show went seaplaning - they too some great shots & showed the adventure.... don't watch it or you'll be very jealous that it didn't work out for you to go.

well, it's a good reason to go back then!!

Grant, I am sure that could happen somewhere... :eek:

That's one of the best canal pictures I've seen of Venice. Thanks!

I'll tell you what - I am quite impressed with the quality of pictures that the camera Beth uses produces (and impressed with the quality and composition of Beth's pictures...). I have a 3 year old Canon EOS digital, and I used to be impressed by it.... more reason I'm glad I didn't overspend on that camera, as I'll be wanting a new one soon.

Thanks guys! actually all of the above were taken with my Canon SD800, a point and shoot. (albeit an advanced one - many controls and also it has an IS lens - image stabilizing).

I haven't even gotten to the ones I took with my Canon 30D with the new fancy lens I got for it...

Thanks guys! actually all of the above were taken with my Canon SD800, a point and shoot. (albeit an advanced one - many controls and also it has an IS lens - image stabilizing).

I haven't even gotten to the ones I took with my Canon 30D with the new fancy lens I got for it...

Elizabeth,

Is that canal shot an HDR (high dynamic range) image? i.e., is it a splice of multiple exposures, or is it just a point and shoot?

Cheers,

-Andrew

Elizabeth,

Is that canal shot an HDR (high dynamic range) image? i.e., is it a splice of multiple exposures, or is it just a point and shoot?

Cheers,

-Andrew

just one shot - with my point and shoot camera. It is a one-second exposure with a tiny little tripod.

just one shot - with my point and shoot camera. It is a one-second exposure with a tiny little tripod.

That is one hell of a shot from a P&S. Amazing work Elizabeth, probably one of the best shots I've seen this year.

Cheers,

-Andrew
who destroyed a $650 lens three weeks ago when he knocked his camera bag off of his workbench

That is one hell of a shot from a P&S. Amazing work Elizabeth, probably one of the best shots I've seen this year.

Cheers,

-Andrew
who destroyed a $650 lens three weeks ago when he knocked his camera bag off of his workbench

thanks, that is quite a compliment! I am always tickled when my shots work out well.

I bought a Canon 35mm 1.4L lens (which cost almost as much as the Canon 30D itself did) just for this trip but found myself with the P&S more often b/c it was easier to carry all day and I would NOT take out that camera with that lens without keeping the camera in the padded camera bag at all times. which made it even more unwieldy since I like to shoot at random things a lot - so taking it out 100 times a day would also have been a pain.

I therefore only took the big camera out at night or when we went into certain churches or the Vatican museums for instance. That 1.4 lens takes fabulous low light shots as you can imagine. then again the little P&S doesn't do too badly either!

Well, thanks to you (and your gorgeous picture), I just ordered a Canon SD 10 MPixel!

hey Grant, the megapixels aren't necessarily "where it's at" - I think the IS on this camera far outweighs a higher MP camera without it. check to see if your new one has it - they don't offer it on all of them.

thanks, glad you liked my photo! it is going to take a long time to go through them all....

hey Grant, the megapixels aren't necessarily "where it's at" - I think the IS on this camera far outweighs a higher MP camera without it. check to see if your new one has it - they don't offer it on all of them.

thanks, glad you liked my photo! it is going to take a long time to go through them all....
Merde! Yes, I tried getting the same model you had, but they were out of stock. I ordered what looked like the successor model, but didn't notice that it didn't say "image stabilization" in the description. Ah well!

another one, from the Campanile of San Giorgio Maggiore:

523101069_dc067741c5.jpg

If you ever get a chance, and I'm not saying to make a special trip, but if you happen to head that way, I would absolutely LOVE to see some pictures of Soave and the twin castles again.

Oh, and should you ever cross a city called "Montecchia de Crosara," that was my home for about 3 years of my life. I know I'll probably never see that town again, but I'm curious how its changed in the last 15 years. Its a wine town (north of Soave, west of Montecchio).

If you ever get a chance, and I'm not saying to make a special trip, but if you happen to head that way, I would absolutely LOVE to see some pictures of Soave and the twin castles again.

Oh, and should you ever cross a city called "Montecchia de Crosara," that was my home for about 3 years of my life. I know I'll probably never see that town again, but I'm curious how its changed in the last 15 years. Its a wine town (north of Soave, west of Montecchio).

is that a vote of confidence for my photos? ;)

Back